AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shouldn't it be embarrasing by now that not only are the people in the business publicly saying things like this, Finally, JVC as a research and development company has traditionally been rather weak at marketing. The big marketing guns at Sony, Sharp, and Texas Instrument ensure that LCD and DLP get all the press. Comparatively, JVC's marketing efforts have been down in the noise level. What's interesting is their Fans and Customers complain about their marketing too.

That article was written 2 years ago and I have yet to see JVC make any inroads in their marketing. Can't they hire new people? Did their Marketing people go to school?

JVC's science rocked the projector market world in 98 by introducing the D-ILA. Technologically it was superior. However they have failed in every respect to capture the marketshare they deserve. Will this change? Where will they be in another 4 years?

With Hitachi and Three-Five making similar chips (maybe better), JVC's limited market scope may have already seen it's glory days.

your thoughts?

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Hitachi is'nt much better, the new 5600 has the same judder problem the 5500 has.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
The other side of the coin is that the demand for the D-ILA is depressed relative to where it could be.

That's "good news" to the hobbyist - it keeps the price lower.

Marketing cuts both ways - with higher demand you get economies of scale to help lower prices. At the same

time, the demand itself also drives the price higher.

Who wins?

Dr. Gregory Greenman

Physicist

·
Registered
301 Posts
I think the idea would be that with better marketing you would actually have a shift in the demand curve, not just just have the point of demand move up the curve. With a shift of the demand curve, then you would actually LOWER prices.

I'm assuming a free market and the resources available to meet that demand. I'm not in the projector making industry, so I can't comment on that, but I'd like to think that in reality more companies would start making more projectors to meet that demand. Competition should yield lower variable costs and improvements to the manufacturing process, letting supply equal demand at a lower cost point.

Assuming no one gets exploited (we ARE talking about theoretically here, aren't we), everybody wins! Yay!

Mike

PS I'm done with school, so I don't want to start arguing about "the Invisible Hand" again, if anyone has objections to my analysis. Besides, there is no overriding "correct" view of economics, it's too new science and almost impossibly difficult to quantify in the real world.

·
Registered
390 Posts
"The other side of the coin is that the demand for the D-ILA is depressed relative to where it could be.

That's "good news" to the hobbyist - it keeps the price lower".

Speaking of relativity what do you consider low priced? To me any projector priced almost the same as a new car is not low. If JVC could grab the market with a 16x9 at around 5K they would sell a million more than the SX21.

Mr. Geenman do you think prior to the big bang, or right up to it, that the universe could have displayed quantum properties? The reason I am wondering this is because I think that could explain the Isotropic nature of the Universe.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Utopia

Mr. Geenman do you think prior to the big bang, or right up to it, that the universe could have displayed quantum properties? The reason I am wondering this is because I think that could explain the Isotropic nature of the Universe.
Utopia,

You mean the NON-isotropic nature of the universe - it's "lumpy" to use Sagan's nomenclature.

Prior to the big bang? Who knows?

But from the instant of the big bang to the present - quantum mechanics holds, and quantum fluctuations may be

responsible for the non-isotropy of the universe.

What a forum - you get all kinds of questions here!

Dr. Gregory Greenman

Physicist

·
Registered
390 Posts
But one of the mysterys of the early Universe is that it was Isotropic. As evidenced by the microwave background radiation (the echoe of the big bang) which is uniformaly radiating from everywhere with the same intensity. Anyway thanks for the reply. I have to much time on my hands.

I thought this was Audio Video Space. Sorry

http://csep1.phy.ornl.gov/guidry/vio...cosmology.html

Now can JVC learn to market thier projectors?

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
"Prior to the big bang" is a meaningless statement, because time began at that instant. It wasn't just matter that exploded out into time and space; time and space themselves expanded out from the singularity at that instant as well. So there was no "before".

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Michael

But what does TARDIS stand for

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Grant
So there was no "before".
That's why the big bang doesn't work. You cant make something from nothing.

Unless of course you are God.:)

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Then have him give us 1920 x 1080

·
Registered
534 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tryg
That's why the big bang doesn't work. You cant make something from nothing.
A personal injury lawyer, I'm sure, would tell you differnetly.

Gregory - what field of physics are you in? I find this type of discussion immensely interesting.

Speaking of things large and small... here's a great place to check out:

http://www.falstad.com/scale/

Lastly, to keep things on topic... How many of you have had orders for the SX21 and subsequently cancelled them?

Count me as one. Screenplay 7200, here I come!

Steve

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
He's sick of me praying for the same thing over and over again. We need to gang up on him with a group prayer.

Frankly I think he has determined we are all in violation of the first commandment in regards to digital projectors.

·
Registered
390 Posts
When I said prior to the Big Bang I meant 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001 of a second before it. Not absolutely positive on the amount of zeroes but it was at a point called the Plank constant. Mr. Greenman would know more about that than I. But I believe at this point of all traditional theories of the Big Bang it is referred to as a singularity anomaly.

Time isn't real. Its just something you think you have until its gone leaving you with nothing except a memory of what you thought you had. Then one day time runs out on you for good. And then, well, we don't have the time to talk about that.

I am getting a HS10 for a bide me over projector while I am dreaming of buying a 16x9 DILA JVC. Anyone have an inside scoop on the TIME before it happens? I figure CEDIA 2003.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Just to give some perspective on waiting for the next big advance, i.e. 16X9 panels... I was doing some reading and came across this thread. In it is the following quote:

Quote:
Originally posted by RichardJMartin
Hmmm...sounds like the masking helps but doesn't solve the problem completely...I guess I may have to wait for the new D-ILA units later this year with 16:9 panels.

Thanks..

Rich
Date of the original post? 2/23/00! I wonder if he's still waiting? :cool:

(sorry, I couldn't help it)

Don

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
Tryg: Throw up a few Veggie Tales cartoons onto your screen, or perhaps The Ten Commandments with Charleton Heston, and perhaps He'll go easy on you for that whole projector idolatry thing :)

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Don't forget that the big bang is just a theory, its not clear at all that there is a singularity at the beginning.

Also, there are some new theories about oscillations in space-time AKAICU (as far as I can understand) between alternate universes that are very interesting that imply that the universe alternates between expansion and contraction, although the contraction may be close to the big bang to the extent I recall.

And finally, what does all of this discussion have to do with string theory anyhow?

I personally believe in nanoscale wormholes in space-time as being the rationale behind virtual particles.

And of yeah, I can't understand how lower volume results in lower cost PJs either.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Recently it was discovered that the Universe is actually accellerating in its expansion, which contradicts both Relativity and Quantum Theory.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.