AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a looooong post, but please read on.

May I suggest that if you live in Canada, never ever buy JVC.

They refuse to fix my lemon of a TV, they say the errors and defects are within specifications and now they refuse to return my phone calls and letters.

Here's the lowdown.

I bought a JVC AV-36FA54 and it has had numerous problems since day one.

1---From the bottom of the screen down all horizontal lines are extremely bowed. There is almost a 10mm difference from the apex of the curve to where the flat line should lie. This is extremely noticeable, especially when watching a widescreen presentation or looking at the satellite guide

2---Purity issues. There are coloured spots in the top corners and bottom left that just will not go away. There are no speakers that are close and I know there's nothing behind the wall that could cause any problems, because I had a 36" RCA sitting in the same spot before I got the JVC.

3---Strange brownish lines down the left side of the screen. There are 3 vertical lines running down the length of the screen about 6mm apart, and 5 or 6 of the same type of lines running top down and bottom up at a length of about 60mm. I can constantly see these lines.

4---The picture jumps depending on the amount of white on the screen. You can see TVstation logos in the bottom right corner, constantly shrink and expand. If you are watching a show that contains lightning or a strobe light, the picture jumps so much that it's almost unwatchable.

5---A manufacturers defect on the inside of the glass. There is a small, but noticeable dot on the inside of the glass that you can see when there is a light background displayed, or even when the set is off. I can even notice the dot from where I'm sitting, over 10 feet away.

I called JVC the very next day. They directed me to a repair shop (the only one in town). The repair shop told me they did not do in home repairs. One of the main reasons I bought the JVC was because they offer in home service if there is a problem. So, I had to bite the bullet and make arrangements for a moving company to pick up and drop off the tv set. Twice. When it came back, the repair order said it had been degaussed and the convergence aligned. These were both procedures that should have been done in my house. Nothing had changed, and I'm not surprised either. It is my understanding that when you degauss a large tube, it has to be done in it's final resting place. Degaussing the set and then moving it makes not sense at all. This does not fill me with confidence about the qualifications of the local repair facility and JVC for certifying them.

So I called JVC numerous times, was given numerous complaint ID numbers (which made no difference, because no one had any recollection of any past complaint ID number). Each time being told that someone would call me back within 2 business days. It never happened. Finally, I talked with a CSR who talked with her boss (the service manager) and according to my local repair facility, the TV is within specifications and there is nothing more JVC can do. OK, I said, what are the specifications, and what has JVC or the repair facility done about the brown lines or the manufacturers defect in the glass. She had nothing to add except that I should write an "official letter of complaint" and direct it to the Service Manager, because he too busy for me to talk to on the telephone.

I sent my "official complaint letter" off more than 2 weeks ago (3 weeks Sept 29) and still have heard nothing. I called the service manager and have left 2 messages on his voice mail. It has been 4 days since the first phone call and I have heard nothing.

As you can tell, I am upset. I could (nay-should) have taken the set back to the store and recieved my money back. But, I decided to give JVC the benefit of the doubt and now I am paying for it. I'm not expecting an ISF engineer to come to my house and professionally calibrate my set, but I do expect to purchase a set free of manufacturers defects and relatively free of numerous glaring errors.

I have spent $2350 CDN for a TV and stand that does not look good at all. Instead of people saying "wow, nice new TV" They say "wow, what's wrong with your new TV" And JVC refuses to do anything about it.

What is my next step? Small claims court?

I appreciate any insight you can provide.

Thanks,

rollieP

·
Banned
539 Posts
I had trouble with a JVC VCR about four years ago. It went to the shop five times for chewing tapes and they couldn't fix it. They went so far as to call me a liar when I sent them sample tapes of the damage. I ended up starting a negative JVC Internet site and indexing it to the major search engines (which used to be easier than it is now.) Anyway, I was able to get it to come up with Alta Vista, so I sent JVC an e-mail and told them put such in such in Alta Vista. Sure enough my site popped up. JVC started calling but refused to leave any message of substance or put anything in writing. Finally someone called and offered me a VCR that sold for twice what mine was. I had to sign a release, but I ended up geting a $400 S-VHS VCR to replace my $200 model.

Moral is to not give up. Contact Better Business Bureau and Attorney General if you can.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, simmike. It really sucks to hear that a large corporation like JVC has such terrible customer service skills.

I like your idea of calling the Better business bureau. I think it's deplorable that a company would simply refuse to talk to me. I can understand that if this was day 367 and I was asking for something outside the warrantee coverage, they might refuse me. But this is a brand new set, with at least one MANUFACTURERS DEFECT.

If JVC thinks that I'm going to give up, they are sadly mistaken. There is no denying that the television has problems, anybody can see that. I hope they come to their senses though and settle with me before this goes to any kind of a trial. With court costs etc. they'll have to pay a lot more than they could have dissolved with the replacement of my TV.

I figure I'll give JVC another week. I will leave a message with the service manager on Monday, (he never answers the phone) and ask if he could please call me back. I'm not imagining that much will come out of it though.

What ever happened to the customer is always right?

I will keep the updates coming.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.