AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some thoughts/recommendations about which JVC projector to go with. I have these choices: (a) new calibrated G-15;(b)used(approx. 250 hrs.)calibrated G-20 for only slightly more than choice a; and (c) new, calibrated G-11 for approximatley $2800 less. I am anxious to go ahead and "pull ther trigger" so I would appreciate any input. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
It depends on your price/performance threshold. To some people, the difference between the G11 and G20 would be unnoticable. To others, it would be huge. So, unless you're picky, a new G11 would be tough to beat. If you want the best overall picture, the G15 could still actually be better than the G20 - it would depend on what the results of the calibration were. They vary from projector to projector. Calibrators will typically measure the post calibration contrast ratio. So, see if you can find that out. It would also be nice if you could find out the brightness. Out of the box, the G20 is brighter, but it could actually end up being about the same (or even less) bright than the G15 after calibration. Even if it is brighter, the better contrast projector would give you the better picture in a light controlled room.

Finally, you should see if there are any stuck on or stuck off pixels. They're pretty tiny,, and can only be seen up close, but some people find any stuck pixels to be very annoying.

- Dave

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
JDay,

With those choices - G11, G15, G20; it sounds like you

have to decide how much light you need for your theater.

For example - if you only need 1000 lumens, then the

G11 is a good deal - you can take a few hundred of that

$2800 difference to get it calibrated. But if you really

need more - then go with one of the others.

This choice sounds like it is determined by the size and

needs of the theater as much as it is by economics.

Greg

·
Registered
707 Posts
I would go with the G15 calibrated as it will consistently provide the best results of all three projectors. The G15 is in fact brighter than a G20 (after approximately 300 hours on the lamp their is a sharp fall off in light output fromn the G20). The contrast ratio of the G20 is rarely as high as that of a G15 or G11! My preference is based on the results of calibrating several dozen of these projectors and reviewing the calibration documentation on each of them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.