AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
JVC owners, do you think this poor convergence out of the box on a new DLA-RS540 is bad enough to attempt a return or exchange?

Attached are pics of both the left and right sides, two different colors misaligned so using the overall pixel shift correction does not help, have to do a deep dive into every single zone. After adjusting all the zones to get rid of the convergence errors it seems that the picture is not as sharp as I expected coming from a Sony 45ES and not sure making a lot of corrections on a bad panel alignment takes a toll on sharpness?

What do you think?

Thanks,
Ross

Attachments

·
Registered
18,144 Posts
JVC owners, do you think this poor convergence out of the box on a new DLA-RS540 is bad enough to attempt a return or exchange? Attached are pics of both the left and right sides, two different colors misaligned so using the overall pixel shift correction does not help, have to do a deep dive into every single zone. After adjusting all the zones to get rid of the convergence errors it seems that the picture is now softer as a result which I understand is the result of making a lot of corrections on a bad panel alignment. What do you think?

Thanks,
Ross
Did you let the projector warm up for at least 35 minutes first ? And can you see convergence errors from your seat ?

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you let the projector warm up for at least 35 minutes first ? And can you see convergence errors from your seat ?
I was hoping you would respond Craig because I value your experienced opinion on JVC. I think the projector had been on for more than an hour, but I will check it again tonight after warmup. Yes I could see the effects of the convergence error from my 12ft seating, a subtle but noticeable double image around objects. It's visually similar to seeing color fringing from lenses in still photography (I work as a landscape photographer) but obviously this is from the panels not the lens.

After spending two hours painstakingly adjusting every individual zone I have fairly clean white lines on the grid but it seems the sharpness of each line is not what I expected compared to what I'm used to on the 45ES.

I have read some other owners in the JVC threads getting a unit with bad convergence and they were able to return/exchange. At this point Id like to gather input from JVC owners about whether it's advisable to try the projector 'quality control lottery' and get another unit (assuming my dealer will cooperate), or live with this.

Also, I see a green tint in skin tones in both the Natural and Cinema modes and this has me further wondering if I have a bad unit, or if this is to be expected before a professional calibration. The out-of-the-box color on my 45ES is much more natural and accurate looking.

Ross

·
Registered
15,071 Posts
How many steps do you have to move it over if you use the whole adjust mode to get it relatively aligned just in the center?
Can you use full pixel adjustment?

Can you see the pixel grid itself well defined after focusing on the text or something (I know it's a bit hard to see the pixel grid on that green line sometimes, but try text maybe)...

A double image from 12' away, depending on what screen size you are projecting to, that sort of sounds like a serious convergence issue. Normally, with average to slightly below average convergence, you'd expect from 8' on a 100"s screen, that you might see a purple outline only on certain text if you really stare. In such an example of an average to slightly below average case, whether or not to send it back should be decided by how well defined the pixel grid focuses. In your case, hard to tell from pictures, but the above generalities that I stated might hopefully help in your thinking of how bad it is.

Keep in mind that red is worse than blue, blue is hard to see. However, purple is the worst (IMHO) of all, meaning red and blue being off "together" forming purple.

·
Registered
952 Posts

Also, I see a green tint in skin tones in both the Natural and Cinema modes and this has me further wondering if I have a bad unit, or if this is to be expected before a professional calibration. The out-of-the-box color on my 45ES is much more natural and accurate looking.

Ross

On my 790 THX was the most accurate mode out of the box. The modes are quite different and I wouldn't expect more than one to be accurate. (And I wouldn't necessarily expect any to be accurate out of the box.)

Reactions: rossandwendy

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I think that most projectors won’t have good convergence on the sides. I know that for my PJ I can get the center to align perfectly but the sides are a bit off. I would get them to align with Zone alignment but I was told that it does more harm than good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,071 Posts
I think that most projectors won’t have good convergence on the sides. I know that for my PJ I can get the center to align perfectly but the sides are a bit off. I would get them to align with Zone alignment but I was told that it does more harm than good!
Hi -- yah I've noticed some weird things about convergence. IMO convergence correction is fine in whole pixels, or if using HTPC text (didn't see any side effects in gaming or reading, could be, but I couldn't see any). For incremental pixel adjustments in movies, totally subjective, but the corrective edge blending algorithm seems pretty advanced and appears to only affect certain edges, not the whole image. So I'm not sure it would be detrimental to use, but I would guess there is a much higher chance of side effects if using the ZONE correction, a bit less if using increments, and none if using whole pixels. That said, to determine what I am saying is true within a high-level of certainty would mean asking multiple peoples eyes to try to find side effects, and that's a bit of a long and drawn out task.

Overall, I think the above person just needs to comparatively check the pixel grid focus, as that is more important than the convergence generally speaking. Also, if he has a good pixel grid focus and can use full pixel adjustment corrections instead of incremental or zone, then that might help him be more confident about keeping it.

However, seeing a "double image" from 12' away, that does not sound good.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
How many steps do you have to move it over if you use the whole adjust mode to get it relatively aligned just in the center?
Can you use full pixel adjustment?

Can you see the pixel grid itself well defined after focusing on the text or something (I know it's a bit hard to see the pixel grid on that green line sometimes, but try text maybe)...

A double image from 12' away, depending on what screen size you are projecting to, that sort of sounds like a serious convergence issue. Normally, with average to slightly below average convergence, you'd expect from 8' on a 100"s screen, that you might see a purple outline only on certain text if you really stare. In such an example of an average to slightly below average case, whether or not to send it back should be decided by how well defined the pixel grid focuses. In your case, hard to tell from pictures, but the above generalities that I stated might hopefully help in your thinking of how bad it is.

Keep in mind that red is worse than blue, blue is hard to see. However, purple is the worst (IMHO) of all, meaning red and blue being off "together" forming purple.
On the Whole Adjust I did H 1 and V -1. That was all I could do as a compromise, because almost every zone outside the center is off by different colors and amounts. So I then went into zone and had to adjust every single block, most blocks needed a minimum H -10 and V 10, and the worst blocks near edge needed a whopping H -20 and V 24.

I cannot see any convergence error *after* adjustments from my 11.5-12ft distance on a 140" wide image, but before adjustments last night I did see the slight double image affect from the color fringing along object edges. I guess I have fairly critical eyes for such things because I have been a professional photographer for over 30 years and am used to scrutinizing high resolution files for chromatic abberations and sharpness.

I will look again at the focus of the convergence corrected lines. *After* adjustment I am not seeing the sharpness of the picture from my seat as I'm used to with my Sony 45ES so am wondering if doing the extensive zone correction has sacrificed overall picture sharpness.

Thanks for your input.
Ross

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On my 790 THX was the most accurate mode out of the box. The modes are quite different and I wouldn't expect more than one to be accurate. (And I wouldn't necessarily expect any to be accurate out of the box.)
Thanks. I think I have been spoiled by the out of the box colors in reference mode on my 45ES, very natural skin tones. Once I figure out if I'm getting this unit replaced I will look into getting a ChadB calibration after 100-200 hours, he is only about an hour from me.

Ross

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is what worries me! I can't shake the feeling that the (zone corrected) JVC picture from viewing position is softer and less detailed than my Sony 45ES, and that is not what I expected.

Ross

·
Registered
15,071 Posts
On the Whole Adjust I did H 1 and V -1. That was all I could do as a compromise, because almost every zone outside the center is off by different colors and amounts. So I then went into zone and had to adjust every single block, most blocks needed a minimum H -10 and V 10, and the worst blocks near edge needed a whopping H -20 and V 24.
s
That is a bit much on the edges. I'm assuming your pixel grid isn't well defined, go into MPC enhancement and turn off E-shift and set all other enhancement sliders to 0. Load up something on your PC (some text preferably, like the Lazy Brown Fox pattern or even just LONG sentences of text in a browser) and expand the browser to fill the projected image. If you can and have a capable receiver with (2)+ HDMI outputs, compare it to your hw45es in real-time (not by memory) and put the images side by side (zoom down all the way if needed).

Let me see if I can put this into some perspective thought here.

I have (2) JVC's here, an RS-45 that falls somewhere near exceptional, but not perfect convergence, but let's say top 20% easily of all JVC units I've seen. Then, I also have an RS-420 (not much different than your RS-540), and it is what I would call 'average' convergence.

The RS-420 is off by red by about 1/3rd to a 1/2 of a pixel (about 0.6+ pixels on red), and about 1/3rd (0.5) on blue. Now even if I use absolute max Lens shift and even shoot the projected image at a slight angle increasing chromatic abberation, the RS-420 only shows a total error difference from edge to edge of approximately 0.8 (meaning if I were to use zone correction, the bottom might need -2, top +6).

You are telling me -24 to -10, that is a variance of 14 vs. my variance of 8.

So I would say this all depends on the focus of the pixels themselves, more than convergence alone, depends. See if you can compare text and look for the actual pixel delineation (the ability to make out the square pixels that make up the text or image).

·
Registered
15,071 Posts
Convergence mostly affects edge sharpness, but it can be symptomatic of reduced pixel focus if something else going on.

Pixel Focus = affects the entire sharpness of the image
Convergence = affects mostly just edge delineations when 'unruly' colors meet together, such as for text (until error becomes more severe)

Since movies have scattered "soft lighting" on edges and not harsh delineations, the convergence error will be harder to see in movies, but you might see it on subtitles or animation or certain things. Once convergence gets bad enough though, it can start to affect everything, even movies and then destroy the entire sharpness of the image.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What does it look like in the center ?
Here is the very center grid before any correction, you can see it's off by red and blue (and the previous pics show worse errors as you move away from the center grid):

Attachments

·
Registered
18,144 Posts
Here is the very center grid before any correction, you can see it's off by red and blue (and the previous pics show worse errors as you move away from the center grid):

Like Coderguy said, make sure eshift and MPC settings are turned off.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts

and this is after you have turned off 'Fine' adjustments and only applied 'Pixel' adjustments

i have a feeling if you turned off Fine and only used Whole you will get convergence

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
If it's better in the center and worse on the sides is it chromatic abberration instead of panel misconvergence?

Ive got one blue pixel vertically shifted due to using all the available zoom and lens shift on a sim2 mico40, a single chip projector.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
and this is after you have turned off 'Fine' adjustments and only applied 'Pixel' adjustments

i have a feeling if you turned off Fine and only used Whole you will get convergence
That center pic was with no adjustments whatsoever, out of the box convergence, no whole nor fine nor zone. Does that look like it is within spec? Am I just being too much of a perfectionist?

Ross

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Yes I think they are within spec ... you just need to go Whole Pixel red +1 horizontal and whole pixel Blue -1 (horizontal) and +1 vertical

And see how it looks

1 - 20 of 78 Posts