AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a JVC G15 and am getting ready to install it. The area I live it has a lot of power outages. The JVC manual warns about damage to the G15 if the cooldown cycle is not observed. My background is computers, and I have all my computer equipment on UPSs.

Is a UPS required for the G15, or is it likely to survive an occasional power outage without cooldown? Anyone else using a UPS, and if so, what kind? Best Power seems to be the only one I can find that puts out a pure sine wave.

·
Registered
735 Posts
There has been discussion on this before so you might want to try a search. I've read that the dila will survive the occasional power outage without the cooling, but I wouldn't rely on it for regular power outages.

My take is like shutting off a computer without shutting down windows, you can do it, but there is a risk.

I don't use a UPS because I haven't had an outage in NYC yet. I figured the cost of a good 650 watt UPS was too expensive.

·
Registered
52 Posts

Bluedevils,

It's probably not exactly what you meant, but I'll take the temporary software, fixable issues caused by the hard boot(power loss) on the pc vs the permanent heat hit on the DILA. We don't have many power outages here, but I've put my G15 on a APC Smart UPS 3000(pure sine wave), I get the power loss protection as well as clean power. It also protects me if a cord is pulled, a breaker goes etc...

Make sure to check the load on your UPS and connect things like the DILA and HTPC. Be cautious about connecting in receivers / amps, they draw alot of power and would require a significantly larger UPS. (my APC Smart UPS 3000 can handle the DILA, HTPC and Denon 3801 receiver)

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
2mnyToys,

The PS Audio PowerDirector is the latest is PS Audio's

line of what are essentially amplifiers that output 60 Hz,

and are useful to clean up "dirty" power.

However, it doesn't solve the problem at hand - which is to

provide power to the G15 for proper cooldown in the event

of a power failure.

When the power goes out, the PS Audio PowerDirector loses

power too - and will not be able to power the G15.

For protection of the G15 in the event of a power failure -

you need a UPS - not a power filter.

Greg

·
Registered
107 Posts
That's true. But their "system" also includes a "Power Producer" that is essentially a UPS

"The Power Producer is the world's first AV ready Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) that produces up to 1500 watts of pure sine wave power in the event of a power loss. Depending on the load, the Power Producer can deliver up to 8 hours of power to your equipment. Or with the aid of a AMX compatible programming automation system you can cycle down all products with high current draw and leave only the components with volatile memory receiving power and achieve protection of even 24 hours with some products."
http://www.psaudio.com/products/powe...r_overview.asp

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
2mnyToys,

Thank You.

Yes - I seemed to recall that PS Audio had some type of

UPS - but a brief foray of their website didn't find it.

I looked under "Power" products - I should have looked

under "Theater" products - of course.

Yes - a PowerDirector teamed with a PowerProducer would do

the trick of protecting a G15 - but now we're talking about

a cost that is a significant fraction of the G15's cost.

[ which is why you said "cost no object" ]

A computer UPS will do the job for a lot less. A digital

PJ doesn't require the ultra-clean sine wave power that

PS Audio is shooting for to power audio amps.

The PJ won't benefit as much from the clean power as will

an audio power amp - so why pay for the ultra-clean power.

Greg

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
jperry,

A sufficient capacity UPS - APC 1400 or Best Fortress 1450

can be had for a few hundred dollars.

The JVC G15 cost how much?

It's insurance - a fraction of the cost of the item you

are protecting - and it allows you to not worry about the

PJ and enjoy your movie.

Greg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the replies to my orignial post. It looks as if I will by buying a UPS.

Steve, thanks for the info about the APC Smart 3000. I've always used the APC BackUPS Pros for computers, which have a stepped power output. I didn't realize the SmartUPS line puts out pure sine wave. I understand putting the HTPC and the JVC on the UPS, but why are you running your Denon through it rather than just having it through a protected circuit? From a cost point of view, I plan to only put those two devices on the UPS, and everything else through a Monster HTS Power Center. I think I care about clean and protected power to the other devices, but I don't see why they would need to be on the UPS. Correct?

Thanks,

Jim Perry

·
Registered
52 Posts
Jim,

You are correct, no need to connect the receiver. At present, the UPS is my only means of providing clean power to the receiver and the 3000 has capacity to handle it. I will end up with a similar device to your Monster HT Power Center for these components in the future.

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
If I understand the original post, your primary concern is that the D-ILA fan will run for a sufficient time subsequent to being shut off to cool the unit.

I believe that the intent of this statement is to address issues for the "presentation market" providing inadequate time for cooling before packaging the unit for transport. If you are purchasing a UPS for this reason, I believe it has a low cost/benefit ratio.

In an installation with sufficient space for passive cooling, or active cooling in a restricted space, the fans will only run 3-5 minutes (max) after being on for 2-3 hours. You would have to experience a power outage during that narrow period time for the UPS to engage, and even then the response time of some UPSs would be insufficient to avoid a power cycle.

In addition, I am not convinced that UPSs will always provide the best value in surge suppression per dollar. Will the UPS manufacturer provide you with financial compensation if their unit fails to provide adequate protection? This is something that the consumer market has come to expect from companies like panamax and monster. You then must evaluate if there is a negative impact to the image displayed by the projector.

Also, the UPS's do not regenerate power, so their ability to "clean" the AC signal should also be scrutinized. It appears that products that can regenate AC power or provide balance power are all the rage, with panamax advertising a 1500 dollar product to do the same.

Just my 2 cents. Preventing start surge is the critical component, unless you have experienced multiple outages while watching a movie.

------------------

STOP HDCP on DVI

Don O

[This message has been edited by Don O'Brien (edited 09-05-2001).]

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Be sure to review this thread too for my comments on the SmartUPS and Tripplite UPS. Having all components on the UPS is a nice feature. Watched a movie right through a storm recently with many power interruptions and wouldn't have known it if it weren't for my wife running in to tell me.

Carey

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Don,

It's not just the narrow window of the 3-5 minutes of the

post-shutdown cooldown were the power blackout can hit -

it's the entire time the projector is on while you watch a

movie.

If the blackout hits in the middle of you 2 hour movie -

you then have an unscheduled powerdown but without power

to run the fans for the forced cooling cycle.

A UPS like the APC Smart UPS 1400 switches to battery in

2 milliseconds - which may or may not be too fast for the

D-ILA to notice - however - the D-ILA will certainly not

be damaged by the cooling fans losing power for 2 milli-

seconds.

As an audiophile and videophile, as well as a computer

geek - I've kept noticed the warranty protections plans.

Actually, Panamax and Monster are following the lead of

UPS manufacturers like APC and Best Power who have had

these $25,000 warranties for years before Panamax and

Monster.

Although the UPS don't regenerate power a'la the PS Audio

products - picture quality from a projector like a D-ILA

is less sensitive to line voltage fluctuations than is the

quality of the output of a power amp.

After all the maximum output voltage that is modulated by

the output devices [ transistors or tubes ] is the power

supply output voltage. Surges and transients have a more

profound effect on simple analog amplifier circuits - than

they do on the digital electronics in a D-ILA projector.

Dr. Gregory Greenman

Physicist

·
Registered
835 Posts
I think the issue with unexpected power loss has to do with the lamp in the projector. I don't know if there is a particular power-down procedure for the lamp outside of a cool-down period with the fan on, but I suspect there is. If you ever unplug your projector while it is on and try and restart it right away you will probably notice the lamp has some trouble starting, this would seem to be related to an incomplete shut-down. What kind of long term wear this causes I don't know.

Anyways, it doesn't hurt to be prepared a UPS will probably help a low. I think most will notify the computer when it they switch to battery power, the computer could probably shut down the projector automatically using the serial port and then shut itself down, pretty convenient if you are already running an HTPC. That would give you a longer life on the battery while the projector cools down.

Regards,

Kam Fung

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.