AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering JVC D-ILA projectors for my home theater, but I'm having difficulty finding anyone that has either the DLA-SX21U or the DLA-HX1U set up for viewing. Does anyone know where I can view either of these projectors in the Naperville, IL area (Chicago area)?

·
Registered
986 Posts
dixon, i am in west Michigan. about 2.5 hours from you if you dont catch traffic. you are more than welcome to come take a look at my setup. Dukane (sx21) with panamorph lens. I am currently running a 120 inch 16:9 image on draper 2500 material.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Why did the two of you choose these projectors? I am considering one as well. Does your setup have to deal with any ambient light? Please give me a quick synopsis of your view on these projectors (pros/cons) now that you own them. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Not wanting to be trite

I looked at about 15 projectors over three months

Check out my Great projector Hunt series of posts

The Sx21 IMHO provided the most film like image I saw

I am also very sensitive to rainbows and headaches from DLP.

Rob

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
d dixon

make another post that's titled "Were to view SX21 or D-ILA in IL"

you'll probably get more of a response

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Also,

there is a used SX21 sale by our buddies the AVS salesmen.

I think the price is $5800.

Make sure you check it out if you're going the LCoS route.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I demoed the JVC Hx1 on Friday morning at Allnet in Elk Grove Village, Il. They are the midwest rep for jvc and Infocus. They were very nice. I did forget to bring a couple of dvds. The projector was ceiling mounted about 17 feet away from a Draper white 106" screen. I was impressed with the film like feel. The blacks were deep. Contrast was ok and brightness was ok. I was not blown away. Hopefully I can find a dealer soon to demo the sharp 12k and the marantz s3. Also maybe the dwin. You propably need a dealer to set up the appt with allnet.

Anyone know a dealer who can demo any of the three projectors in the Chicago area?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks to everyone for your help in identifying places to see these projectors. I've also gotten some leads from local dealers. Allnet sounds good and I'll call Dukane, too. I didn't realize they were selling the JVC projector, but I do now.

slots1, you might check with Barrett's Home Theater Store in Aurora, Lombard or Bllomingdale. They sell Runco, Sharp, and Marantz.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Slots

was the HX1 calibrated D65 in a black home theater on a big screen (this beast is bright! ) in either RGBS/RGBHV (interlaced or scaled up) or DVI with high quality dvds or HD sources (digital feeding DTHEATER, WM9 HD)? it makes a whole lot different result...

one of the first advantage of the DILA is no brain-eye fatigue... you could end up watching your watch 10hours later without feeling it :) (!)

then you have detailed dark scenes ( Blade DTS Japanese edition was a revelation ) with no dithering- blacks noise of course, exact colorimetry (the fires!), no screendoor even below 1:1 width-viewing distance, CRT-film like density, "always ready to blast" brigthness :)

·
Registered
484 Posts
ddixon

thanks. I will call barrett's on Monday. Did you consider any of the fp that I listed. If so or not why? I am looking for any and all opinions on these projectors. The JVC rep said the projector was aligned but not isfd. It was a dark room. Like I said I should have brought a couple of dvds.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
slots1, at this point, I haven't chosen a projector, I'm just trying to narrow the field a bit and look at a few projectors in a comparable price range. I'm taking my time deciding. I need to look a lot before I plunk down the money. The worst thing that can happen is to spend the money and find out the projector gives you headaches.

I need to see for my self.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I have spent time watching three dlps. But for no more then a half an hour. So far I do not see rainbows or fatique.. Of course I guess you have to watch for over an hour or two. So what is your winners at the moment and the pluses and minuses

·
Registered
22,053 Posts
I'm thinking that headaches and rainbows with DLP are very rare, as none of the 20 or more people ( from age 15 - 84 ) that have watched my HT1000 ( for as long as 4 hours at a time )with both dvd's and hdtv have ever seen them. And I ask.

The JVC SX21 ( and Dukane clone )are nice projectors. But after having demo'd one in my own home, I've concluded that if you aren't prepared to go the full 9 yards ( anamorphic lens, " Phelping " and a HTPC or external scaler ect. ), that it isn't worth it. Because a JVC SX21 without those extras didn't look any better ( and sometimes looked worse ) than my uncalibrated NEC HT1000.

·
Registered
986 Posts
eeek, i own a Nec Lt240 and a Sx21. The reason i bought my JVC was because I entertain and many of my guest had problems with rainbows or headaches. I know some of the 5x+ machines seem to cure the rainbow problem but I watched a Infocus 7200 for two hours and it gave me a massive headache. I will admit my JVC has a panamorph, has been calibrated and i am running a HTPC but for under 10,000 for the system the picture is stunning and their is no chance of problems with my guests. By the way, most of them ask me where they can buy a 144" plasma after watching it for a minute.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.