AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally got my HD-52Z575 replacement chassis installed by Frontier Enterprises (Paramus NJ). The repair guys were nice enough but didn't really seem to know much about the TV or the problems I was having with it. But they sure knew how to replace a chassis fast! I asked them if they ever adjusted the convergence on a JVC D-ILA and they didn't know the TV had a convergence adjustment in the service menu. Also on their paperwork they had my TV listed as having "no picture" and were ready to leave without giving me the new chassis when they turned the TV on!!! I tried to explain my brightness gradient problem to them and naturally they had no clue.

Luckily I had the name and phone# of the guy from JVC that authorized the new chassis on hand. I also showed them all the screenshots I sent to JVC. After this they "agreed" to give me the replacement chassis. Yay! I snapped a couple of pics of the TV and chassis out when they went out to their truck for tools.

The installation went well and they didn't need to do any further adjustments after installing the chassis (thank God). The overall alignment, geometry and convergence were better with this chassis then the old. I could tell right away even in a brightly lit room the color uniformity was much improved. An added bonus is no bright or dead pixels. I had one bright blue with the old chassis.

Now nightfall comes and the real black level test screenshots begin. To make a long story short, the black level and uniformity is drastically improved with the new chassis. The green glow is now 85-90% gone to my eyes EXCEPT for some small amount of much lower intensity green tint on the right hand side of the screen. I kind of wish it was 100% gone but hey, it's so much better old chassis I'm not sure if I could complain to JVC again (I probably will though).

Here's a screenshot of a no-input uniform black screen with the new chassis:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Looks good, enflux! I love my D-ILA. Did a lot of checking for the convergence thing and my screens look very similar to yours so I am happy :)! Anyway, if something does come up it, JVC really seems to stick by their product. That is one very good reason to own this set.

Keep posted if anything else comes up. Reliability in the long run for any TV is a big issue.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To be fair it's worth mentioning that I used the "exact" same conditons to get all the above screenshots. I used a Sony DSC-P52 set to night mode, auto white balance turned off and optically zoomed in to get the whole screen. The pictures were taken at night with all the lights (and nightlights) turned off with the camera sitting about 8' away from the TV at eyelevel on a tripod.

To show more what the screen looks like to the naked eye, heres a comparison shot with all the same conditions above, EXCEPT the camera is set to normal mode in which I assume it takes a shorter exposure witht he gain cranked down. I hate all the automatic settings on these cheap digital camera. You can just about make out the minor green glow/brightness gradient on the right side of the screen in this pic:

·
Registered
16,824 Posts
Nice set of pics. Great idea of taking them with the set apart.

At-a-boy...........:D

·
Registered
109 Posts
hmmm... my jvc exhibits some of this "green glow" stuff. I've only really noticed it when I turn off the tv and have no signal. I haven't noticed it whilst watching anything, but really haven't looked for it.

So the replacement chassis fixed the problem completely? I assume this is covered completely under warranty. I may look into having this done to mine, as well as the HDMI fix.

CoSh

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cosherer
hmmm... my jvc exhibits some of this "green glow" stuff. I've only really noticed it when I turn off the tv and have no signal. CoSh
How do you see any kind of glow with the TV off?

·
Registered
109 Posts
well, its only when the tv is in cool-down period briefly, and then also as discussed above by others when no signal is present while the tv is on and warmed up. Once the tv/fan is totally off, its fine. I only "really noticed it" at those times because that was really only the times where i had the set without a signal - i've always got some kind of real signal playing (DVR, DVD, CDROM, BLT, HDTV, SD, etc.)

Either way, I spent some time actively looking for the problems exhibited in the pictures above and didn't see anything near as pronounced as in those. So, at this point, I don't think there IS a problem - at least nothing I will likely mess with. Thats the bad thing about these forums - you learn more than you ever really want to know about some things and you tend to look for (and find) flaws that normally would never be an issue. Double edged-sword really. Ah, I'd rather know that not know.

CoSh

·
Registered
24 Posts
Has anyone noticed any red glow? I have a June build 61" that exhibits a red glow approximately in the center of the screen with the set on and no signal being received. It also shows up when the set is displaying a signal, mostly when the center of the screen is black. Other than that, I have no problems with the set--not much chromic abberation at all--except for a tendency for moisture to condense behind the screen when the house gets too cold.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dasextion,

I kind of have a red glow now that is kind of in the middle of the screen but off center to the left slightly. I have some green glow on the right hand 25% of the screen now. But again, no where near as bad as my original light engine that came with the TV.

I'm going to take some more comparison screenshots soon.

One very important thing to note that with my new light engine, the user brightness setting now actually has an effect when you are set to an unused input displaying a dark screen. The new light engine definitely is different in that respect. With the old light engine and the TV set to an unused video input, I could run the brightness all the way up or down and it had no effect. I can now set the brightness to about 15 or 20 and it actually "swamps out" the color uniformity imbalance somewhat. But then of course the rest of the picture looks like crap, so it's not a very good fix. It sort of works OK for the Star Wars Trilogy because they seem waaaay too dark anyway.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Enflux - Have you had any more issues with your new light engine? Is it still better than before? Like to get some updates on this as I am in virtually the same boat now as you were. Your initial pic of the green glow is almost identical to what I see now, after replacing the bulb that burned out a week ago (covered under warranty; fedex'd overnite to me - yay JVC!).

Your initial reports stated it was dramatically better. Still feel that way? What about the red glow you mentioned...?

Thanks,

CoSh

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
cosherer,

Actually after having the new light engine for about 5 months, the picture hasn't really changed much so I'm happy about that. The good is still good and the minor discoloration and red/green glow is still there in about the same location and intensity. The pics I posted are about the same as the ones I posted in September. I do plan to take another follow up set of pics.

The only thing that has really gone wrong is that about a week ago I started getting the "time to change your bulb" message onscreen every time I turn the TV on. This is strange because the bulb is less than 5 months old and we only use the TV about 3-4 hours a night if that. So at most the bulb has 600 hours on it. There is no change in brightness or quality of the picture of course so maybe it's just a glitch. As soon as I have some time I'm going to get in touch with JVC again. I think between the remaining discoloration (albeit minor) present with the replacement light engine and this new bulb message, I have a good chance of getting another whole light engine replacement. Based on what I have read in other posts, I really want to do a neutral density filter mod on this set as well. I think I'll wait until the factory JVC warranty has expired just in case though.

Now on to what you said about your new bulb. Did the replacement bulb actually introduce discoloration or color non-uniformity that wasn't there with the old bulb? I would be very interested to know.

On a positive note, I finally got HD cable service from Patriot media installed. I can't believe how good HD looks on this set. I set my output on the Motorola set top box to 720p over component cables and haven't looked back. The cable installer guy said he never saw such a bright and clear projection TV. We were watching Discovery HD theater with the windows open at 10:00AM with full sunlight shining into the room and on the TV screen. Then I showed him the TV was set to theater mode and cycled through the other modes. He said he was going to buy one.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Enflux,

I have had the "green glow" issue for some months now, but it was minor and localized to the top left quadrant of the screen. With a brand new bulb, it is now 1/2 to 2/3 of the whole left side of the screen - much the same as your pics showed before you had your engine replaced.

Is the new bulb causing the green glow? or is it the fact that with a new bulb, the set is a bit brighter and now its just more noticeable? dunno. Either is possible. Did you try a new bulb before you got a new engine? or did a new bulb come with the new engine? If you have your old bulb (or another new one) try changing it and see if your green/red glows are different. If so, then maybe the engine isn't the cause of the green glows?

Did you discuss with the tech or jvc support what was actually the cause of the green glow? I've read here (AVS) that the new engines have fixed the green glow problem - I just wonder what the fix was..Anybody know?

Regarding your engine change - did you talk to anyone in particular? Were they reluctant to have the engine replaced? I'm trying to get a clue as to what hoops I'll have to jump thru to get the engine replace.

CoSh

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.