AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have one of the JVC D-Theater compatible DVHS VCR's. Recently I tried to play a couple old tapes (commercial films, not my own recordings) and there are what appear to be digital "dropouts" every few seconds. However old analog VHS tapes (such as a Disney movie I had lying around) play just fine.

Is it possible the player needs to be cleaned? Or do digital VHS tapes simply degrade over time and the tapes themselves have gone bad?

·
Registered
878 Posts
I have one of the JVC D-Theater compatible DVHS VCR's. Recently I tried to play a couple old tapes (commercial films, not my own recordings) and there are what appear to be digital "dropouts" every few seconds. However old analog VHS tapes (such as a Disney movie I had lying around) play just fine.

Is it possible the player needs to be cleaned? Or do digital VHS tapes simply degrade over time and the tapes themselves have gone bad?

Sometimes just fast forwarding and rewinding an old Dtheater tape a few times before playing it will get rid of many of those drop outs. I don't know why but it seems to work sometimes.

Clean heads help a lot to!

I also have a few tapes where nothing helps, they are just unusable.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Clean heads help a lot to!

I also have a few tapes where nothing helps, they are just unusable.
Thanks for the tips - I'll try both.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts