Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Murphy's Law seems to be the story of my life. Just ordered a JVC

HD3000 high def VHS to hold me over until the Leeza gets here. The selection of D-Theatre tapes is moving right along. My question is can I come out of the JVC at 1080i into the Leeza and out at 1080p and will it be much of a difference?

Thanks JC

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
Since nobody has seen the Leeza do this, its kind of hard to say what the difference is. I think that the Vigatec did this before and I think people said it made the picture look soft. The only other people to see 1080i to 1080p are those with the Faroudja 5000

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I don't think the Vigatec does "true" 1080i to 1080p deinterlacing, so the softness isn't surprising. A lot of picture info was probably lost.

That's why people are so excited about the HD Leeza. It does proper 1080i > 1080p deinterlacing without throwing away detail.

·
Registered
800 Posts
One thing to be aware of in connection with this: the 30000U has the annoying characteristic that it drops into 480i when displaying its menus. The HD Leeza has two component inputs, but in its initial release it will not support 480i on its "HD" component input.

This means that if you connect the VCR's component output to the HD Leeza's HD component input, the Leeza will not sync to the signal unless it's 480p, 720p, or 1080i. Thus you won't be able to view the VCR's menus, or play back a 480i D-VHS recording, without changing outputs.

This can be dealt with a couple of ways. The easiest is probably just to use the S-video output of the 30000U when viewing 480i signals. More complicated would be to pass the 30000U's component output through a video distribution amplifier, and send it to both the HD and SD component inputs of the HD Leeza; then you switch inputs on the Leeza to toggle between 480i and 1080i.

Key Digital has said that a subsequent firmware update for the HD Leeza will add support for 480i to the HD component input, so with luck this switching problem won't be with us for too long.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
I was hoping the JVC/480i menu thing would be dealt with out of the box, since it's one of the biggest concerns I have currently in my system. But, at least there's a fix on the horizon. I'm very interested to see whether I get better results just letting 1080i go to the projector and get natural pixel overlap, or by deinterlacing and downconverting to 768p. On pulledown based material it could be a good win. When watching native HD video stuff though, it might be best to just let it go through unmolested. So hopefully it'll be easy to set it up to flip both ways relatively easily for each source device.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
We have the Vigatec Dune F scaling the 1080i to 768p. The improvement is nothing short of breath-taking on a Madrigal MP9 CRT projector. I'm now a serious proponent of 1080i scaling.

I look forward to hearing about the 1080i scaling of the HD Leeza... however, for all except the most hot-rodded 9" CRT projectors, 1080p is a bit extrememe IMHO.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
If a Madrigal MP9 isn't a hot-rodded CRT, what would be? I'd definitely be running that one higher than 768p. My Dwin HD-700 can do almost that good.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Very true, but as we went higher with the resolution, we didn't see any quality differences from about 768p on up. There's no line structure from seating position, so the general consensus is why run the projecter harder than required --to acheive the same results.

To be honest, this is one of the few projectors that WILL resolve 1080p, and I didn't do any testing at that... hmm... tomorrow might be a 1080p setup day on the MP9 ;)

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Quote:
Very true, but as we went higher with the resolution, we didn't see any quality differences from about 768p on up. There's no line structure from seating position, so the general consensus is why run the projecter harder than required --to acheive the same results.
How far away are you? Unless you are 16 feet away or something like that, I'd think that you should be seeing line structure with that kind of projector running at that resolution if it's correctly focused and calibrated.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.