Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I've been shopping around for the D'Ahlia, and I've found what looks like practically the same set, but with slightly different model numbers:

AV61S901 and AV61S902

Does anybody happen to know what the differences are? Most of the stuff I've found so far hasn't had very clear specs on the 901. Have they really managed to come out with two separate models already? Perhaps the 902 is the one with the DVI input?

Thanks!

------------------

Mike Kobb

(Formerly "ReplayMike", but no longer affiliated with the company; these opinions are mine alone.)

·
Registered
18 Posts
The 902 is the US market version of the D'Ahlia. My understanding is that JVC will not warrantee the 901 in the US. The 902 does have the DVI/HDCP input while the 901 does not.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've found a few places selling the 902 in the low- to mid-7000 range, and one (AAA Camera) advertising the 901 for $4495. I called AAA, and they were (in typical NY camera store fashion) rude and uninformed, and said they didn't have any and wouldn't get any. One wonders why they bothered advertising it, then...

I spoke with the manager for JVC Sales for the western region, and to my dismay found that nobody within 200 miles of me has one. There's a store in Sacramento that expects to get one in the next few days, and there are apparently a few stores in LA, including Star Club, which seems to be the biggest proponent.

------------------

Mike Kobb

(Formerly "ReplayMike", but no longer affiliated with the company; these opinions are mine alone.)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just Mike-

What store in Sacramento is getting a D'hlia? I am interested in this set and would like to see it in person

Thanks.

Deckard

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Filco Discount Centers on Fulton. I believe the fellow's name I spoke with was Tim. He called this afternoon to say that the set had arrived and was hooked up. I may venture to Sacramento this weekend, so don't buy the darned set before I get there! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

------------------

Mike Kobb

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for the info.

I went to Filco this morning to get a look at the D'Ahlia, it was set up next to a 53" non-Elite Pioneer. Both sets were showing the Direct TV high def. demo loop, The JVC was a lot sharper but the Pioneer had a better black level. The sales manager said the Pioneer had been tweaked by a technician but the JVC had not been adjusted since it was un-packed and he thought they could improve the picture with some adjusting.

------------------

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Rick,

Thanks for the side-by-side comparison. I can't make it to Sacramento this weekend, but I'm tentatively planning to drive (or fly) up next weekend to have a look. The salesperson said he thought they would have had time to do some adjustments on the set by then.

I'd be interested to know whether you thought that the black level on the JVC was unacceptable, or if it was just not as black as the CRT.

I had (another) look at the Panasonic DLP rear-projector today in a local shop. I noticed two things right away: there was a bright-white stuck pixel (ouch!), and the blacks were a little bit gray.

I would think that the D'Ahlia would do a little better than a DLP for black level, since there's no mirror-support structure for light to bounce off of (and that did appear to be the source of the grayish blacks on the DLP -- if you got right up to the screen you could see lots of tiny smaller-than-a-pixel dots that caused the screen to look grayish).

Anyway, maybe if all goes well, the review in The Perfect Vision will be out just in time for me to go look at the set, so that I can see for myself whatever Gary found (and I do hope it's positive -- the set seems very promising based on what I saw at CES and the fundamentals of the technology involved...).

------------------

Mike Kobb

[This message has been edited by JustMike (edited 08-04-2001).]

·
Registered
9 Posts
The picture on the D'Ahlia looked good but next to the Pioneer it was not as black. The salesman thought they could improve on the black level with some tweaking. The room the sets were in was quite dark, I am looking for a set for my family room which most of the time will have a lot of ambient light so the black level would not be as big of a factor as how bright the picture is. I would be very happy with the D'Ahlia as it was shown it had an excellent picture in every other way.

------------------

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the extra info! I think I'm going to have to get one. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

Mike Kobb

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.