AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I know that the execs at JVC are reading our comments, I would first like to thank them for their gracious demonstration of the Dilas. Not only were they very nice, but they served up food and drinks. They also allowed us to play with the SX-21. One of the the forum members was allowed to connect his HTPC to the 21. Unfortunately, the HTPC he brought did not have powerstrip working so the whole rgb\\dvi issue could not be tackled.

the first thing to say was that both projectors put out a great image and you really cant go wrong with either. Your requirement and buget will dicate which one to go with.

They showed us U571 using a progressive JVC dvd player and later with their D-VHS version. Of course the picture with the D-VHS was superior.

They told us that the new production models for demo should be coming out in Jan and that they will be shipping definitely in February.

I am not a videophile, so I wont pretent to give either one a review, but in my eyes and those in the room, both pictures looked excellant.

·
Registered
261 Posts
How did the blacks compare between the two projectors?

·
Registered
142 Posts
I was there as well today and I would like to thank Nick Katayama & Audie Scott, both of JVC, for their time and gracious hospitality. I agree with Daniel that both projectors looked terrific. The black levels looked very good, though possibly just shy of a DLP's range, but extremely satisfying. The SX-21 was definitely brighter and it's scaling seemed slightly cleaner (to my eye) as compared to the 150. The 150 had an ever so slightly "richer" or "more movielike" quality to it...but both units felt extremely cinematic. I did not see the talked about "blue push" in the blacks of the SX-21 that has been mentioned in the past.

BTW both units were being driven by a very high end JVC progressive scan DVD player and also by JVC's D-VHS. The screen was a 9' wide Stewart Greyhawk. The high def stuff looked stunning (doesn't it always?) but the DVD stuff was also very, very impressive with great saturated colors and natural skin tones. Saw U-571 and Moulin Rouge in both high def and DVD.

In the final analysis, for me, I'm quite sure I am a customer for the SX-21. Not only from a price standpoint, as compared to the 150, but also from a practical viewpoint as it's smaller, easier to mount, cheaper to run, brighter, scales better and is extremely satisfying. The JVC guys said Feb. in substantial quantities. I can hardly wait. This is a unit I could be happy with for 2-3 years until the next big leap in projector technology.

I do have a demo on Monday of the NEC HT-1000 for reference though, in the past having seen the Dwin, the Marantz and the latest Seleco, I find DLP's give me eye strain. But having heard so much about the NEC, I must give it a look see and will report back.

All the best,

Chuck

·
Registered
89 Posts
Was there anyone there who has an HD1 or HD2 projector or better yet a CRT? Anyone there who was also at Cedia? The big question is, how did it look compared to the display at Cedia without the $30,000 scaler? I suppose I am asking to much but those are some of the questions I have been wondering.

How did the black levels look? I know you answered this somewhat... Did they look 3 demendional on the greyhawk? What about light spill? Was it noisy? Was the 4X3 an issue on a 16:9 screen?

It seems like we have now two conflicting reports. At least to some degree. The Canadians are saying looks good could be better and your group so far gives it a great review. I guess it all depends on how it is set up. The canadians were not on a grey screen.

I saw it at Cedia and it look fantastic but how much of that was the scaler? Also they were not using the greyhawk screen.

Don't mean to criticize just trying to find the right solution before I buy.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Thanks for the reviews, guys.

I guess the ultimate "vote" becomes...would you (will you) buy one for yourself, to put in your own home?

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
As one of the Canadian's at our demo, I don't think anyone gave it a lukewarm review. Chris Dallas of our group is a turned on by great blacks, so naturally DLP or CRT will float his boat moreso. Myself, I am a very large screen guy and am turned on by silky smooth no-screen-door presentations that only D-ILA can provide. To each is own.

No projector has the ultimate scaler embedded in it.

Let's face it, EVERY projector will be improved by a quality outboard scaler or HTPC. When you are buying a $10K unit, you will do what it takes ( outboard scaler ) to get the BEST out of it.

The SX21 is not a bang for the buck projetcor. It is a top-of-class unit and the gains/cost are not linear. By all accounts the HT1000 probably has the bang-for-buck title.

- Andy

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Still no HTPC via DVI connection info though !!!! Was the question asked ???

tshirk.... ROTFLMAO.... Not only are they announcing a product for ne next millenium but they have it down to the month :D !!!!!!

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lightspill, I really didnt notice any. I have a G11 and its pretty obvious

Noise, both the 150 and the x21 were running at the same time, although one had a lens covered. At one point, by accident, both were projecting at the same time. Although they werent in sync it was pretty close. Anway, there werent as obvious in noise as my G11. I saw the 21 last month at an electronic show in LOng Beach and its very quiet. The 150 was hanging overhead so you really couldnt get close to it. I put my ear to the 21 and yes you can hear it but its low, although I think its louder than the PLV 70 (another demo another day)which I though was dead quiet. The comparison though is not fair as the volume was up on the Sanyo and we had no sound on the 21. In anycase, although both machines were working, they definitely were not distracting. Of course there was at least ten people in the room whispering

I havent seen the HD-2 projectors, but the image was gorgeous especially when watching D-VHS but progressive dvd was no slouch either.

The guy demoing the 21 had never actually worked with a reallone before, so I am not sure he knew the anwer about DVI. He did say that he had no problem sending 1365x1024 via rgb to the 150

The X21 model we saw was the handmade protypes that have been around for a while now. The production demos will be coming out on Jan and shipping will occur in February

Again I would like to thank the JVC guys especially Audie Scott of JVC as he pretty much let us do whatever we wanted

I am sure that a scaler will help, but if all you do is watch HD, progessive DVD and D-VHS, you can do fine without a external scaler

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mark

The answer is definitely, I would get either one. I kind of like the 150 better. At one point they switched from the 150 with D-Vhs and went to X21 with D-Vhs (same movie) and I like the 150 better. On the other hand, the guy next to me liked the X21 better after the switch.

Also remember guys, no rainbows and no eye fatique

·
Registered
450 Posts
Daniel,

Quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Hutnicki
He did say that he had no problem sending 1365x1024 via rgb to the 150
Thanks for this info. Perhaps you can persuade him to share this info with their customers (like me!) who haven't figured out how to do this yet.

Thanks,

Peter

·
Registered
148 Posts
Did you get to see/ask if the projectors were calibrated? Were they both "tweaked?" Did you see the setup screens or get a chance to see test patterns? - Dan

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Phreddy,

I don't get it, I guess you didn't read my post in answer to your question. Shame on you, after I stayed up late to test this for you! I tested 1400x1050 DVI to the SX21 and it works just fine.

William

·
Registered
261 Posts
William,

I do appreciate you burning the late night oils in order to confirm that we have 1:1 mapping with DVI on the SX21.

Don't know if this has been asked before: With respect to the 40% offset of the lens image (SX21), am I right in saying that if I have a 100 inch (for the sake of the example) vertical height screen I have to position the lens center 10 inches below the top of the screen. Furthermore, I assume that if I am using a Panamorph lens I have to subtract those 10 inches from the calculated image drop as a result of the Panny.

Is this correct?

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
William,

I know that you have been working with a prototype SX-21 which may differ in some ways from production SX-21 units. Can you comment on whether the specs of 1500 lumens and 800:1 CR seem reasonable? Does it look like you will be able to work some of your magic with this projector to further enhance the CR? Lastly, do you think the SX-21 would be a good match for a 125" wide microperforated GrayHawk?

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Scott,

I really don't want to say what I'm measuring at this point because this is not a production unit and I don't think it would be fair. I can say this - I am definitely able to improve the projector.

If I get time I'll try to measure the light output but don't hold your breath on it... there's only 3 weeks left until CES setup. Yikes!!!

William

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
William,

I am looking forward to seeing a report on what you can do with this projector. I thought that it looked REALLY GOOD at the CEDIA Expo, and if you can work some of your magic with it, then that may be enough for me to make this my next projector.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Dan

"He did say that he had no problem sending 1365x1024 via rgb to the 150".

You will be a hero if you can find out exactly how he did this. Tom Stites thought he also had a similar result, but we have not heard back from him. I wish JVC would give as definite answer.

Tony

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
William, quite honestly I did miss your response (which thread ?? I thought I was reading all of them)... Thank you for this info and your answer is one that I take without a single grain of salt.. Thanks..

Mmmm a WP calibrated SX21, sure wish I could get to CES and see the demo (and shake a couple of hands)...

When you feel you can talk numbers and what you are working with (filtering at all or are the balances roughly close enough) we would love to know....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.