AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On JVC's website it says the 30000 can record up to 4 hours of HD programming, yet there's a 5 hour dvhs tape and a 7 hour dvhs tape, is it still max 4 hours?

LJG

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
The HD is half of the marking. So the main one I use is the DF300 which will be 150 minutes of HD, 2.5 hours. THe longest I have is a DF480 which I got from Japan. 240 minutes of HD or 4 hours. BUt the darn tapes are 50 bucks so I only have 2.

dave

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
People are drilling svhs to make look like dvhs. Have never heard anyone using vhs tape. Why would one spend all the money and put crappy tapes in such an expensive machine?

dave

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
$12 SVHS tapes are not crappy. And from what I have read, that's all DVHS tapes are.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I was commenting on VHS tapes, not S-VHS tapes. Read the posts.

And since I get my D-VHS tapes for a lot less than 12 bucks, Guess I am luckly I dont have to drill holes.

And if you have read all the threads, one person went to one mfg plant and all tape is not the same. If I remember, it was something like XP S-VHS was close to the same as D-VHS, but not 100%.

Hye, what ever works for ya is great. I have just seen enough drop outs of S tape that its no longer worth the few bucks to save for me, but thats just me.

dave

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
I agree with h2ofun. Using DVHS tapes for HD recording is very much preferable. I get no dropouts on any recording on DVHS tapes but I do on SVHS tapes and I only have the best professional. BTW, you do not need to drill a hole in SVHS tape to record DVHS. JVC has a button that forces SVHS into DVHS recording. I would not even think of putting VHS tape. It would probably be nightmare.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Another one of the reasons I no longer pinch pennies on the tapes is just the hassle of having to push the button. I would forget enough times that it just wasnt worth it. This whole discussion about tape is just like the one I read all the time about wire. Does it make a difference is what type of interconnects one using in your system. I have read answers on both sides for years. All I know is I have seen first hand issues with S tapes where they are not on D tapes. If s tapes work for some folks great.

I just am not going to any longer take the changes when the tape is by far the cheapest part of my HD solution.

Dave

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
For the df480, one can only get from Japan.

For the DF420, df300 tapewarehouse.

For the DF300, its like 7.80. And I get 2.5 hours compared to 2 hour on the std S-VHS. This is why the post where someone says they pay 12 for S-VHS doesnt make any sense to me.

Again, not trying to take any sides on whats right or wrong. Just passing along my first hand experiences.

dave

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I have always used TDK XP tapes for all events less than 2 hrs, and JVC DVHS tapes for longer stuff. I never have any pixel or breakup problems, and based on how long my machines can run before needing to be cleaned, I'd say the XP tapes are ideal for the HD1000.

I can't say the same for the JVC 30k's, but that's simply because I don't have a backlog of experience with the JVC.

Being able to use XP tapes has definitely saved me a significant amount of money. $7.39 = $4.71 = $2.68 x 1000 tapes = $268000. Enough to buy a new 911 turbo. :D

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I tried for the fun of it to drill holes in a VHS tape, and got nothing out than garbage, thus proving again the old saying garbage in, garbage out...

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by h2ofun
Roger thats a very cheap turbo since 2.68 times 1000 tapes is $2680.
Damn!! Never was good with numbers. Guess I better cancel the Porsche order.

I did save enough to buy another 169 mod.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
And a few more jvc's

Your numbers are exactly why I am using D-VHS tapes. The cost vs hassle isnt that much more money. (If one has a 1000 tape library, one can affort the extra 2680 bucks)

dave

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.