AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought it might be nice to try to consolidate perceptions on the JVC D'ILA sets with a poll and owner comments. I've read most of what's written on this forum about the JVC D'ILA sets and have gone back and forth on whether to get this set or the Panasonic DLP. I've seen both at multiple locations but never together. At one Best Buy, the set looked down right bad the first couple of times I saw it. Then today, I saw it and was surprised to find that I liked it better than everything else on the floor. So, for you owners, what's your impression of your JVC?

Also, post comments on what you like about the set and what kinds of concerns or issues you have with it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Interesting results so far. 86.67% say either "unqualified appreciation" or "good enough for me." Given all the issues that have been identified with the JVC set, I wouldn't have guessed such a high satisfaction rate. It will be interesting to see how the ratios look when the votes go up.

Now, how 'bout some comments to go along with the votes :cool:

·
Registered
96 Posts
I bought a HD-52Z575 in August and overall I love it. The wow factor when people come over to watch it is huge.

Have I had problems? Yes, the dreaded "green glow" and overall color non-uniformity with dark scenes. I documented all the problems (with screenshots) on several threads on this forum. I realized going into this purchase I was taking a risk on first generation technology.

I would have to say pros of JVC D-ILA sets are:

1. BRIGHT, clear picture.

2. Very easy to watch, 480p DVD movies are so clear and sharp, no strain at all on the eyes.

3. Great color reproduction, I'm no expert but in theatre mode movies look really good. Much better than many others TV's I have seen and owned.

4. Great viewing angle for a projection TV.

5. Small lightweight cabinet.

6. Customer service with an added note that it did take some time to get in touch with a person who could really help me. Once I did however he called me several times to check up on how the TV was doing and listened to my concerns.

Cons for me are:

1. Color uniformity problems, now 85% solved with a new chassis. I kind of suspect deep down I may have to go through at least one or more replacement chassis' or TV's before the it's solved 100% for good.

2. Blacks are a dark purple gray.

3. Not enough HD inputs, only 2 component and one HDMI.

4. 480i with component cables looks terrible with tons of horizontal video noise. Switching to 480p makes the noise automagically dissapear. Same results with X-box and DVD player.

I hope next year's model will have all the bugs worked out.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Well, they stopped product a week or so ago to fix some issues. Maybe if won't have to be as far away as next year for improvements.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I took delivery of my set exactly one week ago and I could not be happier. I play alot of videogames on it and everything I throw at it, it looks incredible (aside from older games that look really ugly blown up).

SD is surprisingly watchable, since I don't have digital cable. In fact, football looks great, but I know it could be alot better if I am willing to fork out $$ for HD cable.

Movies look absolutely incredible. I have an older DVD player and output via component, and all the movies look great with no artifact/pixelation/motion blur. I am very happy with the set and hope none of the problems reported here surface!

·
2,436 Posts
Why don't you have a positive response like "I Love it"?

Do you have to be Unqualified to like it?

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Wow, i must admit with all the flaws documented, that I'm surprised at the overwhelming satisfaction with the JVC. I have yet to see this set at BB or Sears where it didn't have some issues. It's so hard to blame those flaws on the store feed and justify dropping 3.2k on a set when it doesn't look good in the store.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I bought the HD-52Z575 in August and I am pretty much in the same place enflux75 is. I knew it was a risk being a first generation but I really enjoy this set. Its drawbacks are far less in my mind than the options I have seen. Everyone that sees it the first time says wow thats a bright set. I think thats why it stood out at every store i went to. I have the hazy green problem but was even considering not reporting it because its not a problem in anything but dark scenes. Since JVC seems to be fixing it though i will give them a call and see what they can do.

If all tv was in HD this set would be perfect but I have to admit i have a satellite box hooked up to the composite input and the picture is definitely acceptable. sometimes i switch settings between the SD news and the SD movie channels but everything looks good.

DVDs are clean clear and bright. HD is incredible. XBOX games could use some cleaning up around the edges but the PC games look fine so i am thinking the XBOX problem is the game not the tv. Even my PC looks good on the JVC once i loaded the new NVIDIA driver. Yes the smaller text can be slightly fuzzy but definitely not a problem for such a large monitor.

I am very happy with my purchase and am hoping JVC can get rid of the green tint thing.

I hadnt noticed my blacks looking purple but i will look again. the blacks to me are looking pretty black unless i turn the brightness way up and it sneaks over toward grey.

I would definitely consider buying this set in a 1080P version if the price is right.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Barrybud

Why don't you have a positive response like "I Love it"?

Do you have to be Unqualified to like it?
"Unqualified" in this context is a positive response. In fact, it's an absolutely positive response. I chose the language because I didn't want the question to sound gushy or sales-y, but rather, to sound thoughtful and considered - yet unequivocal.

un•qual•i•fied (adj) … 2. Not modified by conditions or reservations; absolute: an unqualified refusal

qual•i•fied (adj) … 2. Limited, restricted, or modified: a qualified plan for expansion.

qual•i•fy (v) qual•i•fied, qual•i•fy•ing, qual•i•fies (v. tr.) … 4. To modify, limit, or restrict, as by giving exceptions.

qual•i•fied (adj) … 3. limited or modified in some way : less than absolute —qual•i•fied•ly /-"fI-&d-lE, -"fId-lE/ adverb

·
Registered
58 Posts
i would have voted that i love it but i couldnt vote that it is unqualified the best because that sounds like it has no flaws. good enough for me is not really how i feel but that was the only option on the poll that was truthful in my opinion.

of course i am not an engineer or an english professor.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I've had two of the 585's, and both of them suffered the non-uniform color problem.

Granted both of them were manufactured before August of 2004, I still do not believe that JVC has properly fixed this problem.

Even enflux75 has said that after a light engine replacement, which is the JVC prescribed solution, he still has the problem over 15% of the screen.

For me, that is unacceptable! I refuse to spend $3000+ for an HD monitor that cannot perform the industry widely accepted standard of reproducing a color image that is accurate and undistorted.

For me to accept that the problem really has been fixed, means that there is no more green, or blue (or any other color that is not part of the source material) haze.

I respect the decision of the people that have chosen to accept this monitor, even with its current obvious design flaw(s), It's your money!

I just hope that JVC continues to acknowledge that this is a serious problem, and keep the engineers busy to find a proper solution.

I know it sounds like I don't have an optimistic view of the JVC D-ILA. On the contrary, I have high hopes that JVC will fix these problems, and that they will not let these problems carry over into the 795 series.

If JVC can pull that rabbit out of their hat, they will get my vote, and I believe they will have one of the best solutions available in today's market.

I'll be waiting to see if that happens. :)

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I have the 61 incher. Yes,I had the "green-bug" and have had the light engine replaced.(4 days ago) I could have returned this set if I wanted to but I couldn't find/see anything better. I still like it better than anything I see in the stores. Money wasn't the issue for me--pq was.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Mopro and avguygeorge make a good point/counterpoint. On one hand I think, man I spent $3499 on this TV. When I watch Starwars, The Matrix, Cast Away, or whatever, I want to see a UNIFORM BLACK SCREEN!!! Or at least a uniform approximation of black across the screen.

Then I go back to Best Buy and look at TV's that are more expensive and don't look as good. Actually I've been going back to the stores to look at other TV's alost every week. I personally see color non uniformity to some extent on many other LCD and CRT projection TV's. To me a lot of the Sony LCD projections looked brghter in the corners. I came very close to buying an LCD WEGA grand 50" but got the JVC based on better image quality.

Before the JVC I actually returned an RCA CRT projection because the right side of the TV was green and the left side was purple.

Projection TV's are ruling my life!!! Life was so much simpler (and cheaper) when I had a 27" Sony Trinitron. Ignorance is bliss I guess.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MoPro
I've had two of the 585's, and both of them suffered the non-uniform color problem.

Granted both of them were manufactured before August of 2004, I still do not believe that JVC has properly fixed this problem.

Even enflux75 has said that after a light engine replacement, which is the JVC prescribed solution, he still has the problem over 15% of the screen.

For me, that is unacceptable! I refuse to spend $3000+ for an HD monitor that cannot perform the industry widely accepted standard of reproducing a color image that is accurate and undistorted.

For me to accept that the problem really has been fixed, means that there is no more green, or blue (or any other color that is not part of the source material) haze.

I respect the decision of the people that have chosen to accept this monitor, even with its current obvious design flaw(s), It's your money!

I just hope that JVC continues to acknowledge that this is a serious problem, and keep the engineers busy to find a proper solution.

I know it sounds like I don't have an optimistic view of the JVC D-ILA. On the contrary, I have high hopes that JVC will fix these problems, and that they will not let these problems carry over into the 795 series.

If JVC can pull that rabbit out of their hat, they will get my vote, and I believe they will have one of the best solutions available in today's market.

I'll be waiting to see if that happens. :)
You're assuming that every single set has this issue.

·
Registered
LG OLED C7, Onkyo 7100, Oppo 203, Apple TV 4K, CCWGTV, DefTech BP-2600TLs, CLR 2300, B&W 606 S2s
396 Posts
I got my 52Z585 with the stand last Thursday. I am getting my HD signal from Rogers in Toronto using the DVI connection from their SA 3250 HD STB. The HD programming has been stunning. The digital SD stations are pretty good but some of the SD analog stations are pretty poor. I am using a Pioneer Elite DV-C36 as my DVD player and the DVD picture for recent movies is awsome. I don't have an HD DVE disc so I have used the old DVE disc to tweak the picture. While this has improved my DVDs these settings are clearly wrong for HDTV (they seem to be took dark and thus crush the blacks). I have tried to tweak from the NTSC test patterns on some stations late at night but it is difficult to set brightness and contrast from those test patterns.

At the moment my biggest complaint against the set is the grey pillarboxes that show up on my 4:3 DVDs.

I do not appear to have any dead pixels. I do not have any colour uniformity problems (I realize they may show up later) and the chromatic abberation, if any, cannot be discerned from my viewing position 12 feet from the TV.

I have a couple of newbie questions that may not be appropriate for this thread but here goes.

1. With music DVDs it appears to me that they were shot in 4:3 format and tha the 16:9 version of the picture is essentially a pan and scan version of the 4:3 picture (for example, Kylie Minogue's Body Language Live DVD). This would explain the drop drop in picture quality when I view these DVDs full screen. Is my conjecture correct?

2. When I watch some old DVD's like Top Gun in widescreen if I pick Panorama or Full the picture seems stretched. I realize this should happen for Panorama but should it happen for Full?

3. For letterboxed broadcasts on SD channels I also find that the Panorama or Full seem to stretch the picture. If I use Cinema the picture quality drops too much. Am I doing something wrong

Finally, I do not know if it is my DVD player but I seem to prefer the picture I get by using interlace out and letting the TV do the upconverting rather than using the progressive out. Does anyone else have the same experience.

·
Registered
96 Posts
smoore,

your last entry is interesting. I have the exact opposite result. I have a Sony DVP-665P/B hooked up through component video. If I have progressive turned off (480i output) on the DVD player the image quality is very bad with clearly visible horizontal noise. Switching the DVD player to progressive output (480p) cleans up the noise 100% and the image becomes clear and crisp.

And I get the exact same results with X-box component output. With 480p enabled games I get an interesting result. The internal X-box menu screens must be output at 480i because I get the same horizontal noise patterns on screen while changing settings or with the X-box splash screen. Same noise pattern I get with the DVD 480i component hookup. But then as soon as the game starts it gets kicked up to 480p the noise disappears completely.

·
Registered
LG OLED C7, Onkyo 7100, Oppo 203, Apple TV 4K, CCWGTV, DefTech BP-2600TLs, CLR 2300, B&W 606 S2s
396 Posts
I also have a Pioneer DVD recorder and I also find the picture is somewhat better when I use the interlace output for it. The differences are subtle. I do not have horizontal lines regardless of output.

I know that the conventional wisdom is that the conversion us usually better off performed by the DVD player than the TV. I also know that there have been some pretty harsh criticisms of the conversions done by Pioneer DVD players including the Elite models. I suspect that the conversion may be handled better by the JVC than by my decks.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Kid Red
You're assuming that every single set has this issue.
No, Kid Red I'm not!

What I will say is that the two that I had, and two others at an HH GREGG in Columbus, Ohio, had this problem.

That is four units that I personally have seen to have this problem in the same geographical location of less than ten miles from my house.

I have now seen this monitor at two other locations, Sears and Best Buy.

Both display locations are so bright that it was difficult to ascertain whether these units suffered the same anomaly! The anomaly tends to be most noticeable in low ambient light situations.

I don't know what the exact statistical odds of me finding one of these monitors without the anomaly are, but based on my experience, and others that have taken the time to post their experiences on this forum, I would have to say that for $3000+, It's not worth the gamble for me!

I believe I have been extremely fair in my assessment, as to the current quality of this monitor.

I will admit that initially, my impression was that this monitor seemed to be the answer to my needs. Aesthetically the 585's are beautiful, and it is the best solution for my room decor. If this were not so, I would not have gone through the process of waiting for a professional to ascertain, both times that this was not just my imagination, but a design flaw that resulted in my exchanging, then finally returning this set.

I'm not making this stuff up, and I have the receipts to prove it!

For all those people that are willing to gamble, I hope your "luck," is better than mine. :)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Kid Red
Well, they stopped product a week or so ago to fix some issues. Maybe if won't have to be as far away as next year for improvements.
Kid Red,

Where did you get the information that JVC has stopped production of the HD-ILA's to fix some issues?

Do you have a link to your source for the info?

If JVC actually halted production, then they must agree that this set has some major problems, but it would be good to know the actual reasons for the halt!

I don't want to make any assumptions here! ;)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.