AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Of course, they didn't show one at Infocomm or it was well hidden. I keep wondering what the contrast finally spec-ed out at and whether it can be enhanced.

------------------

Ken Elliott

·
Registered
441 Posts
They did have a DS1 at the show but were not running video through it. JVC do not recommend it for home theatre. Apparently its contrast ratio is just over 100:1. I don't know whether JVC are concerned it might canabolize sales of higher end units or are sincere in that it is not well suited for the home.

Time will tell.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
The DS-1 was outside the "theater" around the perimeter of the JVC display. It actually looked much, much better than we had heard that it would.

It has about the same contrast and resolution as a Sony 10HT (in the 16:9 area), but with no screen door.

All of the D-ILAs have a "changeable color mode" where you can select the color temperature.

·
Registered
110 Posts
It would be very interesting to see this with a Panamorph and a Greyhawk screen.

Milori,

any speculation where this would come out against the rest of the under $10k crowd. Each of these projectors seems to have its drawbacks.

I went to Infocomm looking for some clarity, now I just have more questions.

Paul

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Hi Paul,

Nice to meet you at the show. IMHO, if you want quiet, the field is quite crowded with really good contenders, from those teeny, tiny 2 pound DLPs to LCDs to the new DS-1 D-ILA. The DS-1 could compete in the "sub $10K quiet" category, and would surely win the "screen door" sub-category, but I'm quite sure that it would lose out big time to the Sanyo units on the contrast.

On the other hand, the JVC G15 competes in the "sub $10K non-quiet" category and cleans up on image quality across the board, from screen door to color accuracy, uniformity to contrast...but then some people care more about a quiet projector than picture quality, so I guess you choose your battles.

If you don't like those choices, there is a new "over $10K quiet" contender - the JVC G150HT. It has the D-ILA picture, and is even quiet! However, now the price tag is a factor to consider (~$18K). Hmm...

There is no clear cut choice. There are good, better, and best projectors in different categories, at different price points.

That is what keeps this forum so active! If there was ONE projector that cleaned up on everything, there really wouldn't be much to talk about!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.