AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a CRT owner (sony VPH-D50Q) looking to move to digital. I have veiwed NO digital projs, but from reading this forum a long time it seems that the JVC DLA-G150CLZ is the best digital proj for home use at this time (altho an additional lens is necessary to to the anamorphic squeeze that is the push of a button on a crt).

I did a Google search and came up with prices of $13,200, $13,300 and $14k for the non-Z version of the proj. But I came across a Yahoo merchant selling the Z version for $12,650. (Unfortunately on the merchant's, PlasmaTvs, own site that price is given for the non-Z version.)

Assuming I can get then to honor their Yahoo web site price of $12,650 for the Z version, is this a good buy/steal?

Finally, I would like the names and prices of the two(?) lenses which do the DVD anamorphic squeze for this proj.

Thanks.

·
Registered
27,144 Posts
What is the significance of the 'Z' on the G150?

Is there a significance? Perhaps a model with one of the 3 optional lenses instead of the standard lens?

Jeff

·
Registered
27,144 Posts
I did a search.

The 'Z' refers to the packaging of the projector and the standard zoom lens.

The G-150CL is the projector sans zoom lens.

Jeff

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As I understand it, the 150 comes without any lenses at all and there are 4 lenses to chose from. The Z lens is the zoom lenses; I believe the others are fixed lenses. If I am in error, please correct me.

·
Registered
821 Posts
> Assuming I can get then to honor their Yahoo web site price of $12,650 for the Z version, is this a good buy/steal?

In my opinion, the G150CLZ will begin to be a good buy once it is within about $1000 of the price of the G15. The benefits are ambiguous. A "free," built-in calibration. The ability to make the Xenon lamps last a reasonable span (2000 hours) at the cost of lowering the ANSI lumens to 500 or so. Hypothetical future compatibility with Dilard.

It don't add up to no $4500+ extra expense, no way no how.

Anyway, I've seen it floating around for about $12,000. Reality is forcing the price downward, slowly, and eventually its feet may even touch Earth. I emailed the AVS guys but I guess weekends aren't good email days.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The cheapest you will find it online is $12400 with the standard lens.

If you wait until July you may find a few units new in box at a cheaper price.

JVC has a demo special for dealers at that time.

·
Registered
27,144 Posts
Quote:
Check with AVS for prices. We owe them considerably for this forum.
Lets spread the love and make everyone happy...................POWER-BUY!

I just Power-Bought a Panamorph and am still in the Power-Buying mood!

Jeff

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Robert Whitehead

Finally, I would like the names and prices of the two(?) lenses which do the DVD anamorphic squeze for this proj.

Robert,

The lenses that do the anamorphic squeeze are the Panamorph and the ISCO II.

The Panamorph [ see http://www.visr.com ] is now available from AV Science. Check with Alan or Jason for price.

The ISCO II [ http://www.iscooptic-usa.com/ ] is now

available from Tom Strade and Immersive.

http://www.immersiveinc.com/

Dr. Gregory Greenman

Physicist

·
Registered
821 Posts
Have to bump this thread because I'm hoping somebody has some further enlightening information as to what may be the lowest possible price for this model.

The existence of both G150CL and G150CLZ models is a bit frustrating. It seems to me that the choice of these two models is less for the sake of consumer preference and more a gimmick coordinated to half-commit consumers into buying before they realize they need a $1500 add-on. It certainly makes price searching more difficult.

(Btw, yes, I did contact this forum's sponsors about pricing for this model. They were highly competitive for all models but this one. )

·
Registered
196 Posts
FYI - there is a dealer on ebay with the 150CLZ being offered at around $14K.

It seems that he/she has more than one and is using the "ebay free guerilla advertising technique" for their store.

I don't know if their price is flexible, but it struck me as about street market price for now...sigh...

·
Premium Member
11,656 Posts
I don't think I get the value proposition of the 150 versus the G-15. A calibrated G-15 (NEW) can be had for $10K. A hush box can be built for very little (that deals with both the heat and noise). After 4000 hours of viewing I would have purchased 3 additional bulbs for another $2700 and would still have less invested than in a 150.

What am I missing? (The numbers get even more skewed if I consider a used G-15)

·
Registered
707 Posts
The 150CL projector has an improved scaler which may or may not effect your buying decision. The 150CL more importantly has zone shading which will enable a much more accurate flat field uniformity adjustment of the display. The G15 has a farely crude shading adjustment in its software making it difficult to achieve consistent results with a variety of projectors.

Having a feature to enable a longer lamp lifespan is not really significant if the contrast ratio drops substantially as well. Who wants to watch an average looking image on an expensive projector to save a few dollars on lamps. Most people make the comittment to purchasing a projector for the best image possible and pay the addittional amount for the lamp as part of the added enjoyment that they are able to derive from the viewing experience.

The Xenon lamp is one of the main reasons why the DILA projectors performance is so much better than the rest of the competitions projectors. Mercury based and Metal Halide lamps do not provide a stable spectral output response throughout the course of their life. As a result the Grayscale tracking becomes compromised significantly (shifts substantially to Blue/ loses Red) over time and provides a continuing source of displeasure with the individuals viewing them. Shouldn't the improved picture quality provided by the Xenon lamp entitle the cost to be somewhat higher than the more mainstream technology lamps do?

·
Registered
27,144 Posts
Could you explain in more detail the significance of the zone shading?

Can a scaler compensate for this inadequacy? I, too, am leaning towards a G-15 over the G150CL. I am convinced that the lack of DVI is not a deal breaker.

FOr the difference in price I can get a Rock or LEEZA!

Thanks

JEff

·
Registered
755 Posts
Cliff,

I'm curious.. why would the lamp power control affect the contrast? Wouldn't reducing the brightness affect the whites and blacks equally?

Cheers,

Dave.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Shading errors inthe DILA panels can not be compensated for in a scaler. The panels are not uniform in their output intensity and require correction to become uniform. The new model projectors have the ability to address the uniformity on a much higher level than before. Shading errors are best inspected by displaying a Flat-Field of any primary or secondary color on the screen. You will notice that the intensity is not evenly distributed accross the panel. This lack of unformity (shading error) will create color/intensity errors in the picture which on older series projectors can not be completely corrected with the software.

·
Registered
27,144 Posts
Tell me then.

How is the G-15 on a relative scale in your opinion, also, relative to the G150 (if you've seen it).

Is it significant enough to discount the G15 vs. the G150?

Thanks

Jeff

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.