AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just learned of the JVC DLA-G150HT projector. Looks very promising. Can anyone help with any of these questions:

1. The MSRP is $18K. Anyone know the street price?

2. It is 1000 lumens. Is this bright enough for a family room with ambient light?

3. Claims to have "outstanding film-like picture reproduction". Can anyone verify this claim?

4. Claims to have low fan noise. Can anyone verify this claim?

5. Claims to come already optimized wrt gray scale, gamma levels, 6500 color temperature standard, etc. Again, can anyone verify?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
It looked very, very good at Infocomm, but I can only verify #3 and #5.

As far as #2, I thought that the spec. for it was 1500 lumens.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I saw the unit at infocomm. It was difficult to assess because it was in the same room as their QXGA unit which was awesome and $245,000.00. If you have a garage to put it in and alot of cash I would highly recommend the QXGA unit.

I spoke to JVC reps. and was told that it is basically a G15 optimized for home theatre. I was informed that they pulled the "best" G15s off the line, quieted them down to, I think, 39db, calibrate them for video and guarantee they would have at least a 600:1 contrast ratio.

Hope that helps

Brian

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gentlemen, thanks for the responses so far. There seems to be confusion about the lumens on this machine. The model name would imply 1500 lumens. One responder indicated he thought it was 1500 lumens. Another responder said a JVC rep said the machine was a modified G15 which implies 1500 lumens. However, having said all that, the online specs and brochures on JVC.com indicate 1000 lumens. Can someone please clarify and/or answer any questions in the original posting? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Tom Stites will probably confirm this, but I believe that the correct spec for the light output is 1000 ANSI lumens at 6500K CCT calibration. The G15 spec of 1500 lumens is probably not at 6500K CCT but at 5500K CCT. You have to read the light output spec carefully. It depends on color temperature, vertical refresh rate, horizontal scanning frequency, accuracy of gray scale, contrast ratio etc...some of these apply only to specific type of projectors.

A true 1000 ANSI lumens at 6500K CCT and 600:1 on/off contrast is a lot of light for home use and will match well with a lower gain gray screen.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The G150HT is 1000 lumens. According to JVC it will not ship until after January. One internet site shows it with a price of $16995 but if you contact them they will tell you it is not in stock. It retails for $14000 in Japan and the Japanese web page says they are only going to produce 500 units.

Tom

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Tom,

Since the G150 is being classified as more of a true "Home Theater" projector, will it incorporate the Dilard software?

I know you've been around the forum long enough to know how important Dilard is to the operation of the G series projectors, especially with the coming Gamma Wizard release.

There's a thread currently running here that many have commented on as far as what they think of having the software included in their DILAs and in future DILAs.

Look at this as a request or a "if we could have it our way" desire maybe? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

I already own the Dilard software and I could probably use it in future DILAs that I might purchase, but if not, I'd want it included with the purchase of the projector, not to mention the thousands of new buyers who would be getting into a DILA for the first time who would be able to safely tweak their projectors to ultimate compatibility.

What do you think?

Chris

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tom, thanks for the valuable info. My room is being built at this time. I'm going to put the projector in/on a coffee table, so I need to determine distance from the screen at this time for wiring purposes. If I go with the G150 in January, is it a safe bet that the throw distance/screen width chart in the current JVC on line brochure will still be accurate?

Also, are we saying that the G150HT at 1000 lumens and properly calibrated is actually "brighter" than some projectors with higher listed lumens?

I'm also very curious if Dilard software or other similar tools are necessary to "tweak" this machine. It seems to be advertised as completely ready out of the box.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Sorry KAG1,

I didn't mean to step on your toes or get off topic.

It's a welcome opportunity to converse with a JVC rep, and I was taking it. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

There may be two camps for whether or not Dilard is a necessity for a DILA, but after you've owned one for a bit, and want to get the max out of the projector that can be had, you will see the need for it like many before you have.

The HDTV tweak alone has been worth the price of admission. There is a serious flaw in the stock HDTV input source that creates a line of distortion in the image that can only be fixed with Mark Fosters(no lomger with us)mod, or a Dilard mod, easily attainable with about a half hours worth of work. Thanks again Mark Hunter!!

Anyway, back on topic, I hope to see the G150HT at CES in 2001 in Vegas, right Tom???

Chris

·
Registered
48 Posts
You may want to check out the Vivid Red that Christie Digital is bringing out soon. It should be at CEDIA. Also TAW is supposed to have a Dila based projector at CEDIA. Both of these need to be evaluated by anyone going to the show. The Vivid Red is rated at 1800 lumens and will retail for around $12000. Phil at TAW says his unit will be much more than the HD800 meaning it must be above $25000.

Tom

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just checked Christie's web page, the Vivid Red is not listed as being at CEDIA but will be at Infocomm Europe Sept. 12-14.

Tom

·
Registered
774 Posts
Tom Stites is happy to confirm that Odyssey is right and lumens rating is 1000 for the reasons he mentions.

It is true that the unit will not ship until January but, when it does ship it will have some additional features including interchangeble lenses and a lamp saver mode.

Regards,

------------------

Tom Stites

Director, Business Development

Digital Systems Division

JVC Professional Products

"My opinions do not necessarily reflect..."

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
JVC might be doing the same thing with the hand selected, "elite" G-15HT model as Rich Martin used to do as part of calibrating the G-10/11, G-15, and 9015 D-ILA display devices (something within the physical optical path assembly but can't come up with a name for it right now) to increase contrast dynamics to a range of over 500:1, something DILARD cannot do via software calibration alone as I understand it.

One side effect of the calibration is that it causes a slight drop in brightness output, although I don't think it was quite one third of the original output (1500 lumens in the case of my 9015)...nor did visibly appear too drastic.

What is exciting are the news of, more than the above features, the ability of the user to change lenses at will (though zooming capabilities may go out the door, I am sure). This would make it a much simpler affair to add an anomorphic lens attachment without having to fudge to the extent that I do with my current Isco I thingy.

Whether these features alone are worth the price of admission or not is definitely something that remains to be seen (no pun!), but it would be great to play with one if and when JVC delivers...

-THTS

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
The street price on this projector may not be all that desirable. I have heard that the price on this unit is going to be strictly enforced (no significant discounts) and there will not likely be any powerbuys. It is supposed to be a great unit but if the G15 can be had with calibration for so much less, I'm not sure that the 150HT is going to be a real big seller. We shall see what progresses after it is released.

Thanks!

------------------

Jason Turk

AV Science, Inc.
http://www.avscience.com

716-454-1460 ext.204

[email protected]

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hi Tom

Do you know where Infocomm Europe will be held?

------------------

Best regards

Lars

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Two questions:

1. What is the date of CES 2001 in Vegas?

2. Does anyone know for certain if the JVC DLA-G150HT will be on display there?

·
Registered
774 Posts
Regarding the need for DILARD software with the 150HT and derivatives...the projectors will come preset from the factory for 6500K and accurate gamma tracking for HT applications. That having been said, I think most here would agree that "hand tweaking" a unit for your particular installation is desireable for many reasons. Not to speak for Mark but it's likely his software will support the new electronics package used in the latest projectors.

Regarding the lenses, as it stands now, you will have 4 lens options...1:1 center axis, 1.5:1 with adj. offset, 2-3:1 zoom with fixed 50% offset and 2.9-5.6:1 zoom with adj. offset...same lenses currently available for the M2000 series.

Biggest difference between the current GXX series and 150 series is noise and ultimate contrast ratio achieved by tightened component specification. Lamp power setting and new electronics might be interesting to some as well.

The 150HT will be at CEDIA and probably CES but I can't confirm that yet.

Also, we will probably be showing the QX1 and other units at ShowEast in Orlando in November.

Regards,

------------------

Tom Stites

Director, Business Development

Digital Systems Division

JVC Professional Products

"My opinions do not necessarily reflect..."

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
KAG1,

In 2002 it'll be January 8-11. Check out their website .

Tom, you wouldn't perhaps have any thoughts on a way to make the current Gxx any quieter, would you? I remember a year or so ago some folks were talking about using different/quieter fans as replacements, but I was a little hesitant to change anything on my brand new G11.

Would the fans in the new G150 work in the Gxx projectors?

Chris

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.