AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a professional installer build a system for me and he is recommending the JVC DLA-M2000LU with Faroudja Native Rate video processor. Has anyone seen this setup or any similar setup? Is this an optimal combination? Any thought or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
For watching DVDs, an Ayre progressive scan player, although a tad more expensive than the Faroudja, should work better: I compared the Ayre 480p output to the Faroudja 3000 set to 1280x1024 with a D-ILA projector, and the Ayre was way way better. I am not sure about the NR scaller itself, but I doubt it will work better than the 3000.

------------------

Robert

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
This somewhat surprises me, to say the least, but I don't doubt it as straight feeds from progressive players have always appeared to me to offer very, very good picture quality. And the Ayre is supposed to be the best of the best when it comes to progressive DVD players according to the reviews I've read. But I can't comment on whether the Ayre is better than the DVP3000 having not compared the two myself. But I will point out that the NR is supposed to be a bit better even than the vaunted DVP3000, so perhaps it would be a closer call against the Ayre than the DVP3000.

What the Faroudjas will give you that no DVD player or computer can, is excellent DSS. If you watch a lot of premium movie channels, pay-per-view, sporting events or even talking-head shows, the Faroudjas with their DCDi algorithms are phenomenal. That's an invaluable feature to me, but not to everyone presumably.

One question, alexan07: Why the choice of the M2000? Why not the new JVC D-ILA, the GT150HT? It's optimized for home theater, as you might surmise from the suffix. It would seem an obvious, better choice to me. I believe the prices are roughly comparable -- $17,999 list for the GT150HT.

[This message has been edited by PF (edited 07-31-2001).]

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Living in Europe, I cannot comment on DCDi for NTSC video.

But for PAL, it's very mediocre: I get a lot of combing I did not had with my previous quadrupler. Bandwidth and color expansion does work though on regular PAL broadcasts, making them much more watchable despite the combing artifacts.

------------------

Robert

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Robert: I am really surprised that someone would say that the NR would not be better than the 3000 for D-ILA, I suggest you do some evaluation before you make statements like that. The DVP3000 will do 1280x1024, but not 1360x1024, and for an M2000 that is a problem...

The trick is going to be to get the M2000 to "go native".

I have an M2000 here for testing, and should have a D-ILA NR this week. As I've reported in other threads, the M2000 does not have the same menus, and does NOT have manual override for resolution settings. It does not appear to recognize the 1360x1024 output from my HTPC as "native". There is more work to be done here...

Wm

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Wm,

I said "I am not sure" and "I doubt". That was not a statement meant to say that the NR does not work better than a 3000 on a D-ILA, only that given the fact that the 3000 is 5 times more expensive, and the fact that I have evaluated an Ayre against a 3000, somebody who would look for the NR only for DVDs should evaluate the Ayre against it. It's just a caution about buying a NR only because of the Faroudja brand: the 3000, which as has been rightfully said does not do 1365x1024, is not a good choice for D-ILAs, so caution is to be taken about the NR. Don't buy it unseen, that's all.

Also, going native is not always the best: as illogical as it might appear, the 3000 with a D-ILA works best at 1080i. That is a statement I do make, after seing 2 different 3000s on 2 different D-ILAs projectors. With a 3000, 1280x1024 looks washed out in comparison with 1080i. Don't ask me why, that really should not be the case.

------------------

Robert

[This message has been edited by robena (edited 07-31-2001).]

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I want to just be sure that we don't mislead Alexan07. I don't think many are currently contemplating purchasing a DVP3000 to combine with a D-ILA, so the comparison to the Ayre is somewhat irrelevant.

On the other hand, the Faroudja NR is cheaper - especially at street prices -- than the Ayre with the progressive board. Significantly cheaper.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the help. I think the DVP3000 is out of my price range.

We're considering the DLA-M2000LU over the GT150HT because it is brighter (2000 ANSI lumen vs. 1000 ANSI lumen). I'm told that after the Gamma Adjustment M2000LU should be better than the GT150HT.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I'd be lying if I didn't say I'm dubious that the M2000LU will produce a better picture than the G150HT -- which is supposed to have a pretty good gamma, too, straight out of the box, as well as perfect flat field uniformity, better contrast, essentially perfect alignment of the panels, etc. The G150HT is also supposed to be much quieter and run cooler than the M2000LU. Furthermore, you'll lose some of that M2000LU's extra brightness after calibration. I hope wm can chime in here and set the record straight and correct me if I'm wrong.

alexan07, what is the list price of the M2000LU?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
M2000LU list price is the same as the G150HT but you have to buy a lense. I'm pushing back on the M2000L vs. G150HT and I'll keep you in the loop on the feedback I get from the installer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.