AVS Forum banner

8921 - 8940 of 9130 Posts

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
person please?
Sorry - but it has been so long since I adjusted mine, I don't recall the specifics.

Probably the best and most economical direction for "calibrating" would be to get a Blu-Ray calibration disc (these usually come with color filters to use with some color test patterns), these discs also include some nice instructional tutorials to guide you thru the process.
There are a number of these on the market, such as:

1) "Disney WOW"
2) "Spears & Munsil"
3) another one I seem to recall was titled "Digital Video Essentials"

I think if you google "TV calibration disc" - you will find many choices. I would recommend that you start here:
https://www.cnet.com/how-to/reviewed-blu-ray-setup-discs-for-your-hdtv/

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Our RS1's original lamp had 1997 hours, so yesterday I replaced the bare lamp in the OEM housing with the Philips below.

To be ultra-clean, I used three pairs of thin nitrile gloves during the replacement.

The original lamp had one of the solid-core leads wrapped around the top, center terminal, so I just unwrapped it and cut it where it was soldered to the terminal.

The other lead had a typical automotive-type, crimped-on, circular connector which was riveted to the outside of the glass reflector. The other lamp solid conductor came from the inner lamp through the hole in the center of the rivet and was also crimped inside the circular connector. I used a slightly-oversized drill bit clamped in a small pair of vise grips to slowly, carefully drill out the top of the rivet, releasing the lead while retaining the nice connector/end.

The new Philips lamp had two flat terminals that had screw-down fittings with screws included. I wrapped one connector around one screw and, after removing one screw, inserted it through the center of other lead's doughnut-shaped connector/fitting and screwed it back into its terminal.

This was a bone-simple operation that, because I had never done it before, took me a total of perhaps two hours. If I did the replacement today, it would take me a total of 20 minutes, at most.

After replacing the lamp, I reset the timer using the procedure in the manual. Boy, you've got to press those buttons quickly!

Compared to the OEM lamp, that Philips lamp is bright! I immediately put it in "normal" brightness mode and it was still considerably brighter than the OEM in "high".

I believe I paid around $100 for the lamp around a year ago.

In short, our RS1, which we purchased in 2007, is now in like new condition and we couldn't be happier. Because we have recently purchased a Samsung UHD BD player, we have been watching around 3 hours of Netflix stuff every night. Up until the purchase of the Sammy, we watched maybe a movie or two a week. so I figure that this new lamp is going to last maybe two years, not the 9 years of the old one. Hopefully the new lamp will last 2000 hours, but I won't be depressed if it doesn't.

I'm curious. How many hours of use will the panels on the RS1 take before they start to degrade? Anybody gotten 10,000 or 20,000 hours out of their RS1?

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
336 Posts
Our RS1's original lamp had 1997 hours, so yesterday I replaced the bare lamp in the OEM housing with the Philips below.

To be ultra-clean, I used three pairs of thin nitrile gloves during the replacement.

The original lamp had one of the solid-core leads wrapped around the top, center terminal, so I just unwrapped it and cut it where it was soldered to the terminal.

The other lead had a typical automotive-type, crimped-on, circular connector which was riveted to the outside of the glass reflector. The other lamp solid conductor came from the inner lamp through the hole in the center of the rivet and was also crimped inside the circular connector. I used a slightly-oversized drill bit clamped in a small pair of vise grips to slowly, carefully drill out the top of the rivet, releasing the lead while retaining the nice connector/end.

The new Philips lamp had two flat terminals that had screw-down fittings with screws included. I wrapped one connector around one screw and, after removing one screw, inserted it through the center of other lead's doughnut-shaped connector/fitting and screwed it back into its terminal.

This was a bone-simple operation that, because I had never done it before, took me a total of perhaps two hours. If I did the replacement today, it would take me a total of 20 minutes, at most.

After replacing the lamp, I reset the timer using the procedure in the manual. Boy, you've got to press those buttons quickly!

Compared to the OEM lamp, that Philips lamp is bright! I immediately put it in "normal" brightness mode and it was still considerably brighter than the OEM in "high".

I believe I paid around $100 for the lamp around a year ago.

In short, our RS1, which we purchased in 2007, is now in like new condition and we couldn't be happier. Because we have recently purchased a Samsung UHD BD player, we have been watching around 3 hours of Netflix stuff every night. Up until the purchase of the Sammy, we watched maybe a movie or two a week. so I figure that this new lamp is going to last maybe two years, not the 9 years of the old one. Hopefully the new lamp will last 2000 hours, but I won't be depressed if it doesn't.

I'm curious. How many hours of use will the panels on the RS1 take before they start to degrade? Anybody gotten 10,000 or 20,000 hours out of their RS1?

Thanks.
Regarding that Philips bulb, doesn't anyone have a currently link on where to buy one?

My RS1 is exceeding 1,000 hours on my (what?) third bulb now. The picture quality seems dimmer than I remember, but it's always this way.... it dims over time so it's hard to remember what it was like.
I've recently swung my Prismasonic lens out of the optical path and have noticed a slight increase in POP. I think I'm a candidate for a new bulb, although I'll admit I'm also considering upgrading the projector.

Herve, I don't mind doing a bit of surgery on the bulb and I have my old ones still in a drawer in case I need any of their bits and pieces. Can anyone offer advice on the current best replacement bulb for the RS1?

-Pete

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Regarding that Philips bulb, doesn't anyone have a currently link on where to buy one?

My RS1 is exceeding 1,000 hours on my (what?) third bulb now. The picture quality seems dimmer than I remember, but it's always this way.... it dims over time so it's hard to remember what it was like.
I've recently swung my Prismasonic lens out of the optical path and have noticed a slight increase in POP. I think I'm a candidate for a new bulb, although I'll admit I'm also considering upgrading the projector.

Herve, I don't mind doing a bit of surgery on the bulb and I have my old ones still in a drawer in case I need any of their bits and pieces. Can anyone offer advice on the current best replacement bulb for the RS1?

-Pete
Just a few posts back there is this link to what may be the one I used:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C74M0TQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_ugaHxbQV364WY
But I paid much less (especially after conversion to CAD).

Have you used JVC complete-assembly replacements up to this point?

I take it that you have about 5000 hours on your PJ. How are things looking?

Does anybody own both an RS1 and a say RS600? If so, how much of an upgrade is the latter? Is it night and day, or a more subtle but noticeable improvement?

Thanks.

Edit: BTW, here's a video that I found very helpful:

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
Congrats on the successful swap. I did it several times and it does save a lot of money.

Comparing the new bulb to the 10 year old bulb isn't a fair comparison as brightness degrades with use.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Just a few posts back there is this link to what may be the one I used:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C74M0TQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_ugaHxbQV364WY
But I paid much less (especially after conversion to CAD).

Have you used JVC complete-assembly replacements up to this point?

I take it that you have about 5000 hours on your PJ. How are things looking?

Does anybody own both an RS1 and a say RS600? If so, how much of an upgrade is the latter? Is it night and day, or a more subtle but noticeable improvement?

Thanks.

Edit: BTW, here's a video that I found very helpful:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rvDX2u0tkQ
My projector looks as good as the day I first used it. I think I have only 3000-4000 hours on it. Every time I've replaced a bulb I've noticed a huge increase in brightness as would be expected.

I just watched the first part of that video and noted that he used this bulb:
https://www.bulbamerica.com/products/osram-sylvania-69471-original-bare-lamp-replacement?CAWELAID=120150920000551083&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=14954069046&CATCI=pla-102487740726&catargetid=120150920000761872&cadevice=c&gclid=CMun_sq6-dACFY9XDQodnd8INw

$88.97, but maybe plus shipping. I'm going to look into it and try it.

-Pete

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
My projector looks as good as the day I first used it. I think I have only 3000-4000 hours on it. Every time I've replaced a bulb I've noticed a huge increase in brightness as would be expected.

I just watched the first part of that video and noted that he used this bulb:
https://www.bulbamerica.com/products/osram-sylvania-69471-original-bare-lamp-replacement?CAWELAID=120150920000551083&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=14954069046&CATCI=pla-102487740726&catargetid=120150920000761872&cadevice=c&gclid=CMun_sq6-dACFY9XDQodnd8INw

$88.97, but maybe plus shipping. I'm going to look into it and try it.

-Pete
You can't beat that bang for the buck.

Please post your impressions of replacing the lamp and, after replacing, first use. It's good that you have spare parts available for any eventuality.

Good luck.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I just ordered one. Enter FESTIVE for something like $8 off. Shipping was a bit over $10.... around $90 total.
I'll take some video of the process I use to create a new lamp from it.
-Pete

·
Registered
666 Posts
I just ordered one. Enter FESTIVE for something like $8 off. Shipping was a bit over $10.... around $90 total.
I'll take some video of the process I use to create a new lamp from it.
-Pete
From the video it seems like he needed the cabling from the knockoff bulb, since he couldn't remove the cabling from his original OEM bulb. Is there a place to buy that cabling?

·
Registered
336 Posts
From the video it seems like he needed the cabling from the knockoff bulb, since he couldn't remove the cabling from his original OEM bulb. Is there a place to buy that cabling?
No idea about the cabling. I can't remember what the old bulb housing is like... but I have a couple of old bulbs that I can salvage for parts.
-Pete

·
Registered
666 Posts
No idea about the cabling. I can't remember what the old bulb housing is like... but I have a couple of old bulbs that I can salvage for parts.
-Pete
Yeah, fortunately or un-, I don't. I'm still on my first bulb. It's been going about 7 years with frequent use!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Yeah, fortunately or un-, I don't. I'm still on my first bulb. It's been going about 7 years with frequent use!
Seven years? I would humbly like to suggest you consider a new bulb. I never had a bulb blow, I just decided to replace them to get back the original brightness. After seven years, I'm guessing (just guessing) that you're running much dimmer than originally. Of course if you're happy with the picture, never mind!

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
The problem is if the bulb blows and it takes out the housing, you will have glass shards all over inside the projector and cleaning is nigh impossible. I would never run a bulb past its recommended life... Just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Does anybody own both an RS1 and a say RS600? If so, how much of an upgrade is the latter? Is it night and day, or a more subtle but noticeable improvement?....
I owned an RS1, RS10, RS35, RS6710, and now an RS600. I would say the difference between the RS1 and RS600 is significant, especially when it come to brightness, black level and sharpness.

You'll still have a good projector in the RS1 after spending not much for a replacement bulb. I'd also recommend cleaning the bulb chamber prism, if it doesn't look crystal clear, with a few q-tips and lens cleaner fluid.

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
Nothing subtle about the difference. I had an RS1 and then an RS20. I went directly from the RS20 to the RS500 and it was really amazing! The first time my wife saw it she didn't know I had swapped out the projectors. Her reaction was immediate... "Wow! What a great picture!" She thought I was a genius who had sourced some very high quality video files. It really is in a different league. People were selling off their Sim2 Hosts, etc., a year ago and replacing them with the JVC. Bright, contrast monster, great color, very sharp, pick any 4. ")

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I owned an RS1, RS10, RS35, RS6710, and now an RS600. I would say the difference between the RS1 and RS600 is significant, especially when it come to brightness, black level and sharpness.

You'll still have a good projector in the RS1 after spending not much for a replacement bulb. I'd also recommend cleaning the bulb chamber prism, if it doesn't look crystal clear, with a few q-tips and lens cleaner fluid.
Nothing subtle about the difference. I had an RS1 and then an RS20. I went directly from the RS20 to the RS500 and it was really amazing! The first time my wife saw it she didn't know I had swapped out the projectors. Her reaction was immediate... "Wow! What a great picture!" She thought I was a genius who had sourced some very high quality video files. It really is in a different league. People were selling off their Sim2 Hosts, etc., a year ago and replacing them with the JVC. Bright, contrast monster, great color, very sharp, pick any 4. ")
Thanks for the input, guys.

I have to admit that I have not looked at the output from another projector since we bought the RS1. However, I have compared the RS1's image to that of our 70" Sharp Aquos and that of other large, flat-screen displays that are currently in big-box stores such as BB, Costco, etc.

With everything considered, including size, we prefer the RS1 over all we've seen. Our nighttime viewing is now entirely in front of the RS1's screen. (We already have 14 hours on the new lamp!)

When I view from the same relative distance from the new displays, in dark rooms, their images are indeed better in just about every respect than the RS1's. In particular, in dark scenes the new displays show much more detail.

The rest of the improvements I might call more than subtle, but not to the point of night and day, which is the way I felt when comparing the RS1's image to that of our old NEC 9PG+ (which I finally took to the eco station a few months ago). I do not feel that way as I watch the latest 4K displays, although, again, they are in improvement.

All of that being said, however, if the latest JVCs (prior to the 4K pj) produce images that are even better than the latest flat-panels, then that is something I'd like to see and, maybe for the first time in 9 years, get excited about.

But regardless of what I see, we'll be enjoying our RS1 for at least the next two years and quite possibly longer, especially if the number and quality of pjs increases while their prices fall. For example, what is today's RS600 going to be worth on the market 2 or 4 years down the road? If the past is a good indicator of the future, that might be a tremendous bang for the buck upgrade over our RS1.

While I'm typing, our screen is a Dalite High Power which, if I remember correctly, is 2.something gain. If I remember right, the RS1 with a new lamp puts out about 700 lumens, while the RS600 appears to be 1900. Yikes! Can we continue to use the present screen with a 1900-lumen projector (if necessary, with room lights on or while wearing sunglasses)? Come to think of it, the HP is also retro-reflective, which means that ambient light from the side may not affect PQ as much as other non-RR screens.

Thanks again. Looks like our options for beyond our beloved RS1 are amazing. :)

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
While I'm typing, our screen is a Dalite High Power which, if I remember correctly, is 2.something gain. If I remember right, the RS1 with a new lamp puts out about 700 lumens, while the RS600 appears to be 1900. Yikes! Can we continue to use the present screen with a 1900-lumen projector (if necessary, with room lights on or while wearing sunglasses)? Come to think of it, the HP is also retro-reflective, which means that ambient light from the side may not affect PQ as much as other non-RR screens.

Thanks again. Looks like our options for beyond our beloved RS1 are amazing. :)
I bought an RS600 partly because my Dalite High Power screen, the 2.8 gain version, was marred and I had to get a new 1.1 gain screen. They don't make the HP 2.8 anymore, unfortunately.

You can use the HP, although it has some texture and sparkle (but so does my Stewart Cima, although less) and likely close the manual iris way down for very high contrast and still a lot of brightness.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I bought an RS600 partly because my Dalite High Power screen, the 2.8 gain version, was marred and I had to get a new 1.1 gain screen. They don't make the HP 2.8 anymore, unfortunately.

You can use the HP, although it has some texture and sparkle (but so does my Stewart Cima, although less) and likely close the manual iris way down for very high contrast and still a lot of brightness.
2.8 sounds familiar. I think that's what ours is. I'll remember what you suggest about how to use a potential 600 in the future.

Luckily, our 120" pull-down screen is still in perfect condition. I retracted it only twice since we bought it nine years ago -- both times because our grand children were playing in the area. I debated whether I should retract it after each use, but I figured that constantly raising and lowering it and thereby havimg the material rub against itself as it rolled up, albeit probably only lightly, time and time again, might be more harmful than just letting the screen hang there constantly, exposed to whatever. Again, this seems to have worked out just fine until now.

8921 - 8940 of 9130 Posts