AVS Forum banner

9001 - 9020 of 9130 Posts

·
Registered
13,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #9,001
Hopefully your faithful RS-1 will not be to cost prohibitive to fix Rob.

If not, it may be time for a 770 or 970 to replace her…

I just watched some reference 1080p scenes last weekend and I am still wowed by the image it throws 10 years later with 300+ hours on my 3rd bulb.
Exactly Eric. The picture the RS1 gives after all these years is still impressive, and is the reason I have not felt a strong urge to upgrade. Like I said earlier, I am hoping my RS1 can be repaired for a decent price, because I was hoping to wait until JVC comes out with their native 4k projector before upgrading.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I recently also changed the bulp for the 3rd or fourth time during the 10+ years of the life of the JVC. But then I could not do the required reset for the counter of the new bulp; there is a kind of odd procedure which does not work well...
When not making the reset then the pj will shut down again after some minutes as I recall.

To do the reset use the original remote control and press the buttons as follows. It seems to be important to press the buttons very fast and keep the last one for a few seconds:

Procedure, which finally worked for me /after several trials though):

1. take off the power cable, wait 1 - 5 minutes
2. put in the power cable, switch the pj on, the red and orange lights are blinking
3. target the rc on the projector and press in fast sequence: Exit - Enter - Hide - Arrow down, holding Arrow down for a few seconds.
4. When successful lamp indicator and the green standby lamp go into blinking status and pj goes to standby. Then check lamp status with On-screen display; it should show lamp = zero hours.
5. If not successful just repeat the procedures as many times as necessary. It took me 3 times until final success...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just a follow up on my end.. The amazon bulb looks great, but now I notice a yellow bar on the left side of the screen, running vertically the entire length. Its Gaussian in effect, and fades once it gets about 5-10% of the way to the right. Its not bad enough to detect once a show is running, but I do see it when I have an all white screen up.

Has anyone else seen this? The bulb guy says its an early indicator of a panel going bad and I'm just seeing it because the bulb is brighter than my old one.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Yes... The yellow bar is an indicator of panel aging from long use/high heat, eventually the colors will shift to the yellow/green spectrum... All LCD based projectors suffer from this issue... How many hours do you have on the unit?

·
Registered
4 Posts
My understanding is the correct bulb for the DLA-RS1 is the Osram 69471....I looked at BulbAmerica but they charge $60 for shipping (to new zealand).

Amazon also sell the osram 69471, but, which is the correct one?

I can't post links unfortunately, apparently my post count must be > 5 .

Thanks in advance .

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yes... The yellow bar is an indicator of panel aging from long use/high heat, eventually the colors will shift to the yellow/green spectrum... All LCD based projectors suffer from this issue... How many hours do you have on the unit?
probably around 10000

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
That's about right... We have projectors at work and they fail at about 8,000-10,000 hours of use... Time to look at a new one...

·
Registered
336 Posts
Drunk Penguin,
Just filter on my recent posts and you'll see the link to the bulb... but I believe BulbAmerica is sold out.
And, it's not a direct swap. You have to take the old bulb out of the enclosure, snip the wires, slip the new bulb into the enclosure and then reconnect the wires.

The first time I did this it took me an hour to find the necessary screws. The second time it took me five minutes. :)

-Pete
Here's a quick update on that bulb from BulbAmerica.
I've put about 50 hours into it and I've already (unfortunately) seen a drop-off in brightness. So much so that I've bumped the power into "high" mode to get it back to it's original brightness.
To be fair, I seem to recall the original JVC bulbs were insanely bright for the first 50 hours or so, but I've got no science to back any of this up.

Regardless, I just wanted to report back that I've seen a drop-off in brightness at 50 hours. The bulb is still plenty bright for now. No buyer's remorse yet.

-Pete

·
Registered
66 Posts
Update here too. I've seen the yellow bar die off that was prominent on the left side there. Presumably thats also a function of a bulb that is wearing in/dimmer. Otherwise, it seems good. I have about 50 hours too.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Here's a quick update on that bulb from BulbAmerica.
I've put about 50 hours into it and I've already (unfortunately) seen a drop-off in brightness. So much so that I've bumped the power into "high" mode to get it back to it's original brightness.
To be fair, I seem to recall the original JVC bulbs were insanely bright for the first 50 hours or so, but I've got no science to back any of this up.

Regardless, I just wanted to report back that I've seen a drop-off in brightness at 50 hours. The bulb is still plenty bright for now. No buyer's remorse yet.

-Pete
Is that the only place for replacements? I still have my RS1 with the original bulb at around 550 hrs and it still looks bright in low lamp as if the lumens had never dropped. It was measured when first bought back in 2007 I believe at around 600 lumens in low lamp.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
I believe JVC still sells lamps... I would go with that rather than going with a third party... Third party lamp quality has been kind of sketchy...

Reactions: Ximori

·
Registered
10 Posts
Took my RS1 in to a local repair shop. Hoping for the best.
What was the outcome of the repairs?

I had a similar case of sudden shutdowns with my HD1 a while ago, but on mine it was fixed by changing to a new bulb (cheap Chinese ones). Although the change from high to low lamp mode at the same time might have helped as well.

I'm still slightly worried that there is some overheating problem lurking on mine, so any information on what was done would be interesting.

·
Registered
13,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #9,015
What was the outcome of the repairs?

I had a similar case of sudden shutdowns with my HD1 a while ago, but on mine it was fixed by changing to a new bulb (cheap Chinese ones). Although the change from high to low lamp mode at the same time might have helped as well.

I'm still slightly worried that there is some overheating problem lurking on mine, so any information on what was done would be interesting.
It's been a nightmare.

The shop that I took it to doesn't appear to be, shall we say, on the ball.

It took about 3 weeks before they could even get to it. Then it took a week to actually diagnose (what they think is) the problem. Apparently there are several fans in the RS1. At first he thought all fans were working, but then he discovered there is another smaller fan that can't really be seen that is under one of the boards.

Had to get a replacement fan. Was told that they are rare, and not in stock. Took 2 weeks to get the fan.

Installed the new fan, and it worked. Sadly, another fan stopped working. Makes zero sense to me. I was told that the other fan that stopped working is also not in stock and it will take 2 weeks to get that one (was told this last Friday April 21). He could sense my frustration and said that I could just pick up the projector and waive my deposit if I wanted to, but I told him that I've come this far I might as well give it one more shot.

Something doesn't sound right though, and at this point I have doubts that it will even be repairable. Not to mention the fact that the cost is now up to $500.00 which makes it almost not worth fixing, other than the fact that I am not really prepared to spend $4k or so on a new PJ (daughter starting college this year).

Sigh.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I believe JVC still sells lamps... I would go with that rather than going with a third party... Third party lamp quality has been kind of sketchy...
I seem to recall reading somewhere that after an initial drop in lumens it then stabilizes for a length of time; however, I'm not certain that applies as early on its first 50 hrs - that would be way too early and might even cause brightness to exponentially drop.

Yes, I'd rather play safe and go with an original lamp, if available, especially if he plans to continue using for the long term.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It's been a nightmare.

It took about 3 weeks before they could even get to it. Then it took a week to actually diagnose (what they think is) the problem. Apparently there are several fans in the RS1. At first he thought all fans were working, but then he discovered there is another smaller fan that can't really be seen that is under one of the boards.

Had to get a replacement fan. Was told that they are rare, and not in stock. Took 2 weeks to get the fan.

Installed the new fan, and it worked. Sadly, another fan stopped working. Makes zero sense to me. I was told that the other fan that stopped working is also not in stock and it will take 2 weeks to get that one (was told this last Friday April 21). He could sense my frustration and said that I could just pick up the projector and waive my deposit if I wanted to, but I told him that I've come this far I might as well give it one more shot.

Something doesn't sound right though, and at this point I have doubts that it will even be repairable. Not to mention the fact that the cost is now up to $500.00 which makes it almost not worth fixing, other than the fact that I am not really prepared to spend $4k or so on a new PJ (daughter starting college this year).

Sigh.
Sad to hear that you have had so much trouble with the repairs. But seems to indicate that replacing the fans might help with the issue, unless your repair guys are just guessing at the reason.

I'll probably try to find out the fan specs and replace them myself on my projector. At least the cost would be minimal (unless I break something).

It feels like a difficult time to be on the market for a new quality projector, still no real 4k devices available for reasonable prices and I wouldn't want to drop thousands for a faux-4k projector. I suppose a used JVC would be the best replacement option if it comes to that.
This is/was for sure an excellent projector to get at the time, I've never had electronics last so long without being completely obsoleted and outperformed.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My original JVC bulb just blew this morning. It's got almost 4000 hours on it, and the brightness has been fading really bad and the image was getting green.

I guess I won't be able to do an actual before/after test. Good news though:

I just scored 2 Osram P-Vip 200/1.0 P21.5 69471 bulbs on eBay for under $100. They were listed as used. The seller has a brick & mortar store, so I gave them a call and they pulled the boxes for me & said that they were actually new and sealed. The images show that they're not knock-offs. Fingers crossed!

Attachments

·
Registered
28,778 Posts
It's been a nightmare.

Sigh.
Closeout RS400's can be found for a lot less than 4K.

·
Registered
13,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #9,020
Sad to hear that you have had so much trouble with the repairs. But seems to indicate that replacing the fans might help with the issue, unless your repair guys are just guessing at the reason.

I'll probably try to find out the fan specs and replace them myself on my projector. At least the cost would be minimal (unless I break something).

It feels like a difficult time to be on the market for a new quality projector, still no real 4k devices available for reasonable prices and I wouldn't want to drop thousands for a faux-4k projector. I suppose a used JVC would be the best replacement option if it comes to that.
This is/was for sure an excellent projector to get at the time, I've never had electronics last so long without being completely obsoleted and outperformed.
Couldn't agree more with this, sums up my feelings perfectly. Hoping I can get a few more years out of the RS1 and that true 4k pj's will be available by then for a reasonable price.

9001 - 9020 of 9130 Posts