AVS Forum banner

9081 - 9100 of 9132 Posts

·
Registered
6,711 Posts

Don't get me wrong I look forward to full 4k someday on my big screen but don't want pixel shift...unless my RS1 dies on me I will wait it out for now.
Repeated side-by-side shoot-outs viewed by experts have concluded you need to view a freeze-frame from 2 feet to see the difference between faux 4k and real 4k. There have been multiple threads on this and they come to the same conclusion.

I'm not saying this to prove a point. I say this with a feeling of supporting your experience. I just don't want you missing out on spectacular technology for something that's not really visible.

In addition, with the angular resolution of the human eye, 4k doesn't add anything unless sitting closer than 1sw. Again... don't miss out! :)

·
Registered
29,435 Posts
I got a Lumagen Mini. It could adjust tint, saturation and luminance for primaries and secondaries. We weren't even thinking about tracking in those days, satisfied to calibrate for 75% which seemed the best compromise. The DVDO Duo was missing one of those... luminance I think.

Ha! I spent $6300 on my RS1. I remember it well. It was such a deal compared to the $29k Sony Perl. :) I paid $5000 for my current RS500 now calibrated with a 3D LUT (which it hardly needs) using a spectrophotometer profiled colorometer and CalMNA Enthusiast. The gamma is a 33 point calibration. Times are different! I get almost 1700 calibrated lumens. It is really, really gorgeous!

We had my cinematographer friend and his wife over for dinner and a movie Saturday night. He just couldn't shut up for the first 1/2 hour! "Oh my God, look at that. It's perfect! This is better than the Sebastopol or Santa Rosa cinemas for sure. That's really incredible." And then he had to carry on about it after the movie was over... black levels and he's a real fan of proper gamma calibration. Plus the color tracking. He was completely blown away.

This is Levie Isaacks. Look him up on Google if you like. The guy knows his stuff for sure.
Sounds like he needs a JVC. :)
An RS1 was a great projector for it's time. I have an older JVC for backup (RS20 I believe). I use it as backup, when I sell my projector. The difference in sharpness between it and a new JVC is huge. Convergence is good on the RS20, so it is not that. When ever I do throw it into the system, it takes me a week to get used to the much softer image. I spend the first few days wanting to adjust the focus, the difference is that big.

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
Sounds like he needs a JVC. :)
Honestly he may! He was so, so impressed. I'll definitely send him your way if he does. I'd set it up and calibrate it for him... we are neighbors. Get him a Lumagen to go with it though that's not as necessary with the newer JVCs. I told him how many generations behind my RS500 is. He said, "Why do you need more than perfection?" Honestly, that's what he said... this industry pro...

But I don't think even B-stock RS500's are available anymore.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Repeated side-by-side shoot-outs viewed by experts have concluded you need to view a freeze-frame from 2 feet to see the difference between faux 4k and real 4k. There have been multiple threads on this and they come to the same conclusion.

I'm not saying this to prove a point. I say this with a feeling of supporting your experience. I just don't want you missing out on spectacular technology for something that's not really visible.

In addition, with the angular resolution of the human eye, 4k doesn't add anything unless sitting closer than 1sw. Again... don't miss out! :)
You really want me to upgrade! LOL

Yeah I know that our eyes can't resolve it although I suspect it will look better sitting closer than 16 feet from my 120 inch screen today. Even with pixel shift. And I know your projector will also handle motion a lot better.

I don't want to be buying bulbs all the time and recalibrating all the time. I want the laser lamp setup when I do upgrade. I guess I am still happy enough with what I have and I do have an HDR tv that I use as a monitor and sit closer than 6 feet from a 55 inch screen. :)

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
You really want me to upgrade! LOL

Yeah I know that our eyes can't resolve it although I suspect it will look better sitting closer than 16 feet from my 120 inch screen today. Even with pixel shift. And I know your projector will also handle motion a lot better.

I don't want to be buying bulbs all the time and recalibrating all the time. I want the laser lamp setup when I do upgrade. I guess I am still happy enough with what I have and I do have an HDR tv that I use as a monitor and sit closer than 6 feet from a 55 inch screen. :)
I do want you to upgrade! :) Even my wife loves it compared to our old RS20. I surprised her with it Christmas of 2015... one of the very first for $5,000. She said, "Wow... that's a really great picture!" but chalked it up to my genius at finding great source material. Months later I finally told her and she was really upset along the lines of "You spent $5,000 without talking to me? I thought we had a partnership!" Well... she got over it pretty fast. That's how much she loves it. I mean... it's like, "What are we going to watch tonight, honey?" type loving it. :)

Just so you know... the bulbs on this generation last much better than past. Mine is at 1300 hours and is still a light cannon on my 10' wide AT 16:9 screen. It had lost just 15% at 800 hours and then I stopped measuring. And calibrations are lasting long enough that I can't even remember when I touched mine up last... a year?

Anyway... this all is given in the spirit of "full information" of my experience. I'm not trying to talk you out of your plan.

·
Registered
29,435 Posts
Honestly he may! He was so, so impressed. I'll definitely send him your way if he does. I'd set it up and calibrate it for him... we are neighbors. Get him a Lumagen to go with it though that's not as necessary with the newer JVCs. I told him how many generations behind my RS500 is. He said, "Why do you need more than perfection?" Honestly, that's what he said... this industry pro...

An RS520 or RS540 would be a good option. :)

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
It's been a nightmare.

The shop that I took it to doesn't appear to be, shall we say, on the ball.

It took about 3 weeks before they could even get to it. Then it took a week to actually diagnose (what they think is) the problem. Apparently there are several fans in the RS1. At first he thought all fans were working, but then he discovered there is another smaller fan that can't really be seen that is under one of the boards.

Had to get a replacement fan. Was told that they are rare, and not in stock. Took 2 weeks to get the fan.

Installed the new fan, and it worked. Sadly, another fan stopped working. Makes zero sense to me. I was told that the other fan that stopped working is also not in stock and it will take 2 weeks to get that one (was told this last Friday April 21). He could sense my frustration and said that I could just pick up the projector and waive my deposit if I wanted to, but I told him that I've come this far I might as well give it one more shot.

Something doesn't sound right though, and at this point I have doubts that it will even be repairable. Not to mention the fact that the cost is now up to $500.00 which makes it almost not worth fixing, other than the fact that I am not really prepared to spend $4k or so on a new PJ (daughter starting college this year).

Sigh.
Rob, Did you ever get your RS1 repaired? I just changed all of the fans in my RS1...fixed the shutdown issue with high altitude mode turned off and the projector is much quieter. Like new!

·
Registered
13,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #9,088
Rob, Did you ever get your RS1 repaired? I just changed all of the fans in my RS1...fixed the shutdown issue with high altitude mode turned off and the projector is much quieter. Like new!
Yes, I sure did. The shop was finally able to replace both fans. PJ has been working perfectly!

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Yes, I sure did. The shop was finally able to replace both fans. PJ has been working perfectly!
That's great Rob...I'm with you...RS1 still throws a nice picture and the colors when calibrated look the same as my new Sony XBR...except for when it's viewing HDR but for me I am happy enough to wait a bit longer before I upgrade.

·
Registered
431 Posts
My RS1 has worked perfectly since full cleaning last Oct.

One thing I forgot to mention is there's lots of foil tape holding down things in the air path like edges of metal panels and wires. I threw away the old tape during disassembly and used new HVAC foil tape when reassembling. That makes everything nice and tight and eliminates one source of vibration.

·
Premium Member
1,757 Posts
Quick (and hopefully easy) question: where does one get a new bulb for this projector?

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Quick (and hopefully easy) question: where does one get a new bulb for this projector?
I just ordered one from Pureland supply. Original lamp and new housing that doesn't look cheap. Plan to install it in a few days. My last bulb was less money about $90 but the housing was junk so I moved the bulb into one of my old lamp assemblies and it was fine. The Pureland supply bulb was about $132 or around that figure. Just make sure you buy the one with the original bulb...I think they have other after market bulbs for less.

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
Just so you know... the bulbs on this generation last much better than past. Mine is at 1300 hours and is still a light cannon on my 10' wide AT 16:9 screen. It had lost just 15% at 800 hours and then I stopped measuring.
But the lamps on these new gens are like $500-$600 now, right?

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
We had my cinematographer friend and his wife over for dinner and a movie Saturday night. He just couldn't shut up for the first 1/2 hour! "Oh my God, look at that. It's perfect! This is better than the Sebastopol or Santa Rosa cinemas for sure. That's really incredible." And then he had to carry on about it after the movie was over... black levels and he's a real fan of proper gamma calibration. Plus the color tracking. He was completely blown away.

This is Levie Isaacks. Look him up on Google if you like. The guy knows his stuff for sure.

I have an multi-Oscar nominated director friend who has a 35mm projection room in his house (actually a separate building). Used to go over for movie nights. Before he had that, we watched the restored Lawrence of Arabia DVD at my home on my lowly Optoma H31 480p DLP almost 20 years ago and he was impressed (then). Hey, he had a CRT at home (like the rest of us).

But watching a 35mm film at his required him getting a projectionist over to run the thing/change reels, etc. And it was just a mono projector (no surround sound, etc.). I told him he needs to get a digital PJ...to at least be able to watch blu rays.

Since about 3-4 years ago, He now has a JVC :)

·
Registered
507 Posts
Hi Folks, still using my RS1 since December. 2007. The bulb started shutting off while projecting recently. High altitude mode would solve this but the fans sounded loud. I replaced all but the intake blower. The new replacement JBC recommends would require a modification to fit so I cleaned out the dust from the original fan which seemed fine. I replaced the exhaust fan, small bulb blower and the power supply fan. Air flow is much better...like new and the fan noise sounds like air flow....no more hum and flutter that the old exhaust fan was making. It's a must to clean out the intake blower. That gets caked up with dust and must be cleaned.

Maybe I can get another 10 years out of the RS1. LOL.

Again the shut down problem is not the bulb...it's the fans getting tired.
My RS-1 started having a shutdown issue lately. Right about the 2 hour mark. I have not pulled it apart yet.

Where did you source the parts? Is there a service manual out there?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
My RS-1 started having a shutdown issue lately. Right about the 2 hour mark. I have not pulled it apart yet.

Where did you source the parts? Is there a service manual out there?

Thanks
I have a copy of the service manual...pm me and I can send it to you.

Is the ambient temperature high where your projector is? My shut downs were within a half hour but this didn't happen until the temp was above 70 and high altitude fan mode stopped the shut downs. My fans sounded loud with a hum and flutter and the air flow was no that good.

Knowing how to replace all of the fans I think if you focus on the bulb blower and exhaust fan that should fix it. The intack fan was ok in my projector bit half clogged with dust. This fan you will have to remove the optical block assembly to access the screws to remove it so you can clean it.

What do your LEDs tell you when it shuts down? Does the fan keep running and the projector shut off normally or does it completely die around 2 hours with no fan cool down? How many bulbs have you gone through? Fans might be fine and a temperature sensor is faulty if the projector doesn't have many hours on it. I'm on my 7th bulb and replace them around 1000 to 1300 hours. I had one bulb get too dim at 700 hours. So I have around 7000 hours on my RS1.

·
Registered
431 Posts
The intack fan was ok in my projector bit half clogged with dust. This fan you will have to remove the optical block assembly to access the screws to remove it so you can clean it.
I took out all 4 fans without removing the optical block. Remove the lower half of the exhaust duct to access the screws for the intake (large squirrel cage) fan. Be careful of the short wires on the temperature limit switch under that duct. Removing the ballast board first makes it easy to release wire clips for more slack.

Removing the other intake fan (80mm Nidec) requires removing the main circuit board and power supply cover to access screws for the intake duct. That's the most difficult fan to remove.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I have a copy of the service manual...pm me and I can send it to you.

Is the ambient temperature high where your projector is? What do your LEDs tell you when it shuts down? Does the fan keep running and the projector shut off normally or does it completely die around 2 hours with no fan cool down? How many bulbs have you gone through?
The room it was in was warmer than the rest of the house. It was a small room with inadequate air flow. Especially with the door shut. It was completely off. I could not see the lights based on the little alcove shelf that I had it on. I am speaking in past tense as I moved two weeks ago. I have full access and easy to the projector now. I got the projector used so I don't really know total hours on the projector. Even with likely fewer hours, the house is dusty.

Thanks for all the info.

Be careful of the short wires on the temperature limit switch under that duct. Removing the ballast board first makes it easy to release wire clips for more slack.

Removing the other intake fan (80mm Nidec) requires removing the main circuit board and power supply cover to access screws for the intake duct. That's the most difficult fan to remove.
Thanks to you too for the info.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I took out all 4 fans without removing the optical block. Remove the lower half of the exhaust duct to access the screws for the intake (large squirrel cage) fan. Be careful of the short wires on the temperature limit switch under that duct. Removing the ballast board first makes it easy to release wire clips for more slack.

I followed the instructions in the RS1 service manual. Said I had to remove the optical block assembly to access the screws to the intake fan...I don't remember if I could access the intake duct screws without removing the optical block. I didn't have to remove the intake duct when I removed the optical block. Actually the optical block was not hard to remove. Six screws and it was out. Plus I had an easier time routing the wires from all fans back to the fan circuit board with the optical blcck removed. Plus it was easier to get all the fan wires back in the ferrite bead.

·
Registered
507 Posts
The room it was in was warmer than the rest of the house. I have full access and easy to the projector now. I got the projector used so I don't really know total hours on the projector.
Holy crap was my grammar atrocious. Note to self - actually read what you type before you hit submit. I won't publically name my elementary school. I would not want them to get a black mark against their name. :frown:

9081 - 9100 of 9132 Posts