AVS Forum banner

9101 - 9120 of 9132 Posts

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
My projector bulb turned off again tonight after the new fan installation. Strange tho...it's cool temps tonight and I've run it in much warmer temps and it ran for several hours at a time with no issues.

Still on my 600 hour bulb. Can it be a bulb problem? I bought a new bulb so guess I will install the new bulb and see how it goes.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I am also having some sudden cooling issues. Did a bit of research here and have only been able to find partial info about replacement fans. Does anyone here know a current modern equivalent? I have found a lot of fans in the 92x92x38 size and I am guessing it is 12v? I don't know the amperage or the wire configuration. Several fans have 2,3, or 4 wires.

I though this was a possibility: http://www.cwc-group.com/v352081.html

But I don't know the current level.

My RS1 projector works great other than overheating.

Thanks!

I have an RS-1 with an RSVP with isf calibration.
I'm still super happy with the picture but the cooling is becoming more and more of an issue.
I have a thermal aux fan mounted over the top to supplement to cooling.

I've been through the forums trying to find fan replacements.
So far all I've come up with is either used fans or JVC asking for $425
110 QAR0449-001 DUCT FAN $83.79
59 QAR0447-001 LAMP FAN $144.
21 QAR0446-001 DUCT INTAKE FAN $122.
71 QAR0448-001 DUCT PS FAN $77.75 (Exhaust)

Has anyone been able to source any modern day equivalents?

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I am also having some sudden cooling issues. Did a bit of research here and have only been able to find partial info about replacement fans. Does anyone here know a current modern equivalent? I have found a lot of fans in the 92x92x38 size and I am guessing it is 12v? I don't know the amperage or the wire configuration. Several fans have 2,3, or 4 wires.

Thanks!
I looked at it this way. The fans from JVC will cost you around $500 but the connectors and wire length is exactly as it should be. Thus the disassembly and assembly will be much quicker. You would have to solder new wires on after market fans. The blowers are special fans. The power supply fan and exaust fan can be found elsewhere The intake blower will probably not require replacement. Just take it appart and blow out the dust. It doesn't see the heat like the other fans so will last longer. The power supply fan may be ok too.

You could try replacing the small special bulb blower and the main exhaust fan. Clean the intake blower and be in good shape.

My bulb needed replacement too. It had brown burns inside the small bulb so the overheating damaged the bulb. Even with the new fans it sometime would shut down. Seems fine now with a new bulb.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts

Thanks!
Hi,

Usually projectors will shut down if there's a fan problem. Even cheap projectors will normally enter cooling mode and shut down if any of the fans goes 20% slower or faster than the prescribed speed. So your fans and projector may need cleaning but, unless the projector shuts down right on startup, they should be working.

Also, I've noticed that JVC projectors tend to accumulate a lot of dust inside them. They are expensive projectors but I don't think they're very well designed in that regard.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
My projector bulb turned off again tonight after the new fan installation. Strange tho...it's cool temps tonight and I've run it in much warmer temps and it ran for several hours at a time with no issues.

Still on my 600 hour bulb. Can it be a bulb problem? I bought a new bulb so guess I will install the new bulb and see how it goes.
Hi,

a projector shutting down as a result of a temperature warning when it's not even warmed up usually means there's a faulty fan or temperature sensor. It's somewhat common to see fans causing a temperature warning just because they need to be cleaned, as they often spin at lower speeds when dust accumulates. Sometimes it's even enough just to take the fan out, tap it a little and reset it. Temperature sensor failure is less common.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Hi,

a projector shutting down as a result of a temperature warning when it's not even warmed up usually means there's a faulty fan or temperature sensor. It's somewhat common to see fans causing a temperature warning just because they need to be cleaned, as they often spin at lower speeds when dust accumulates. Sometimes it's even enough just to take the fan out, tap it a little and reset it. Temperature sensor failure is less common.
My shutdown happened sometime one hour on and other times a few hours on before shutdown. The warning was bulb extenguished during projection.

My fans were getting tired tho...they were noisy before I installed new fans.

Projector was pretty clean inside except for the intake blower and the small bulb blower which were both half caked with a fine dust. I was able to open up the intake blower and use a can of air to clean it. The bulb blower was too small to clean...sealed plastic ducts we're too small to clean out so best to buy a new fan/blower. The large exaust duct wasn't very dirty in my projector but the fan was tired. Just not moving enough air which damaged the bulb.

I never did actually get an over temp warning only...it was two LEDs blinking which stated bulb extenguished during projection. The projector went through it's normal cool down and turned off.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
My shutdown happened sometime one hour on and other times a few hours on before shutdown. The warning was bulb extenguished during projection.

My fans were getting tired tho...they were noisy before I installed new fans.

Projector was pretty clean inside except for the intake blower and the small bulb blower which were both half caked with a fine dust. I was able to open up the intake blower and use a can of air to clean it. The bulb blower was too small to clean...sealed plastic ducts we're too small to clean out so best to buy a new fan/blower. The large exaust duct wasn't very dirty in my projector but the fan was tired. Just not moving enough air which damaged the bulb.

I never did actually get an over temp warning only...it was two LEDs blinking which stated bulb extenguished during projection. The projector went through it's normal cool down and turned off.
Thanks for the explanation. Well, it's a 10 year old projector, so fans do get tired eventually. But I find it a bit confusing that it gave a bulb warning when the issue was related to cooling deficiency. I have an RS20 and it was quite dusty when I opened it sometime ago; the fans in particular were dusty enough, but not particularly loud.

By the way, have you any idea of where I can find replacements for the coloured lightpath glasses and polarizers?

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Thanks for the explanation. Well, it's a 10 year old projector, so fans do get tired eventually. But I find it a bit confusing that it gave a bulb warning when the issue was related to cooling deficiency. I have an RS20 and it was quite dusty when I opened it sometime ago; the fans in particular were dusty enough, but not particularly loud.

By the way, have you any idea of where I can find replacements for the coloured lightpath glasses and polarizers?
Well I do have a closet where some of my equipment is installed and is where the projector hangs. I have a projection hole in the wall. So dust is minimal in that room which probably helped keep my projector a bit cleaner. I have awning windows that I open in that closet or projection room which helps keep the room cool...although in the summer they stay closed and I use the AC.

So your filters in front of the panels are degrading? How many hours on your projector? I'm not seeing any filter problems. Colors still look like new. Projector has somewhere around 7000 hours maybe as much as 8000 hours. I've seen some post here with people that had 20k hours on this model. I don't think I saw mention of the filters degrading until they had over 15k hours so I suspect I will get a lot more use out of my rs1.

One other point with my rs1 is I use high altitude fan mode when the lamp is set to low so my fans spin more over the ten years...probably wore them out more quickly.

When my lamp started turning off I was on high lamp and with that setting I use normal altitude fan. When I had the first shutdown I tried high altitude and high lamp mode and the fans were very loud...then I put my hand in front of the exhaust vent and there wasn't much air flow and I remember a lot more when I first installed the projector. So that lead to replacing the fans. Much more airflow now!

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Well I do have a closet where some of my equipment is installed and is where the projector hangs. I have a projection hole in the wall. So dust is minimal in that room which probably helped keep my projector a bit cleaner. I have awning windows that I open in that closet or projection room which helps keep the room cool...although in the summer they stay closed and I use the AC.

So your filters in front of the panels are degrading? How many hours on your projector? I'm not seeing any filter problems. Colors still look like new. Projector has somewhere around 7000 hours maybe as much as 8000 hours. I've seen some post here with people that had 20k hours on this model. I don't think I saw mention of the filters degrading until they had over 15k hours so I suspect I will get a lot more use out of my rs1.

One other point with my rs1 is I use high altitude fan mode when the lamp is set to low so my fans spin more over the ten years...probably wore them out more quickly.

When my lamp started turning off I was on high lamp and with that setting I use normal altitude fan. When I had the first shutdown I tried high altitude and high lamp mode and the fans were very loud...then I put my hand in front of the exhaust vent and there wasn't much air flow and I remember a lot more when I first installed the projector. So that lead to replacing the fans. Much more airflow now!
My RS20 was bought used. I haven't yet connected it to my computer to find out about total usage hours (which can't be seen in the service menu). It has a yellow-ish haze on the center area of the image, which usually means the polarizer for the blue colour is dying. Well, in this case it's not exactly the polarizer which normally sits near the LCD panel but it's the mirror responsible for making the blue part of the lamp light. I've looked at it and I can see a kind of a stain in there when I look from a certain angle. Upon closer inspection it looks not so much like a stain but more like the coloured layer is fading out. Also, there's a purple haze appearing on the right side of the image, but this is probably one of the other mirrors going out of alignment because of the temperature (this is a known issue, «the magenta/pink/purple band» on many of the RS series from around 2010).

Attachments

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
My RS20 was bought used. I haven't yet connected it to my computer to find out about total usage hours (which can't be seen in the service menu). It has a yellow-ish haze on the center area of the image, which usually means the polarizer for the blue colour is dying. Well, in this case it's not exactly the polarizer which normally sits near the LCD panel but it's the mirror responsible for making the blue part of the lamp light. I've looked at it and I can see a kind of a stain in there when I look from a certain angle. Upon closer inspection it looks not so much like a stain but more like the coloured layer is fading out. Also, there's a purple haze appearing on the right side of the image, but this is probably one of the other mirrors going out of alignment because of the temperature (this is a known issue, «the magenta/pink/purple band» on many of the RS series from around 2010).
I remember thinking if I use high altitude fan that my projector would run cooler and help save the optical filters. Maybe it's helped keep mine looking good. Maybe not...I don't think the rs1 had the same problem you speak of with the RS20. But I do remember the problem being discussed back then.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I remember thinking if I use high altitude fan that my projector would run cooler and help save the optical filters. Maybe it's helped keep mine looking good. Maybe not...I don't think the rs1 had the same problem you speak of with the RS20. But I do remember the problem being discussed back then.
Well, from my experience it seems to be a matter of sheer luck. The amount of projectors I've seen with polarizer problems with different running times never led me to a rational conclusion about degradation times vs temperature/running time. So, who knows...

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I've been running mine on high alt mode since day 1, 10 years ago. My PJ has givin me zero issues. Havent even replaced the bulb yet!
You have low hours tho. You should never run a bulb over 2k hours on the rs1. They can explode and make a huge mess inside. Plus the colors degrade once you have even 1K hours. Plug in a new bulb and the colors are saturated better. Fuller better colors with a new bulb...even if you run lut color calibration it still looks better with a newer bulb.

I am on my 8th bulb and I see the difference every time.

·
Banned
5,183 Posts
I've been running mine on high alt mode since day 1, 10 years ago. My PJ has givin me zero issues. Havent even replaced the bulb yet!
You have low hours tho. You should never run a bulb over 2k hours on the rs1. They can explode and make a huge mess inside. Plus the colors degrade once you have even 1K hours. Plug in a new bulb and the colors are saturated better. Fuller better colors with a new bulb...even if you run lut color calibration it still looks better with a newer bulb.

I am on my 8th bulb and I see the difference every time.
I should order one. Where are u getting them?

·
Banned
5,183 Posts
I'm gonna pick up one of those lamps in the next couple of weeks and replace mine finally. How difficult is it? Are there any instructions available somewhere?

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I'm gonna pick up one of those lamps in the next couple of weeks and replace mine finally. How difficult is it? Are there any instructions available somewhere?
Instructions are in the user manual but it's very easy. Just looking at the side of the projector. One screw removes the lamp door and then two screws will allow you to remove the lamp itself. Plug in the new lamp...tighten the screws and replace the door. You should also clean the air filter which is on the bottom near the lamp door. It's just s screen. You can use a vacuum cleaner to clean it or even wash it under running water. Let it dry before replacing it in the filter slot.

Also you'll have to reset the bulb timer in the projector. Directions are in the manual. Projector must be turned off when resetting the lamp timer via the remote control.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
I have an RS-1 and the lamp seems to be getting a little dimmer. It is the second lamp I have used in the projector. The first lamp (which came with the projector) I removed after only about 400 hours (this was about 6 or 7 years ago), because I came into possession of a new lamp and figured I would get maximum lumens with the new lamp, and when it started to dim, I would just put the original lamp with 400 hours back in the projector.

In looking at the JVC manual tonight, however, I noticed it said not to "attempt to re-use an old lamp, as it may cause a malfunction." This doesn't make sense to me, unless they are talking about an old lamp that is beyond it's useful life or something. Does anybody see any reason I can't replace the current lamp with the previous lamp that only has 400 hours on it? It's just been sitting in a cabinet in a box and basically has been untouched.

EDIT/UPDATE: I replaced the current lamp with the previous lamp and everything is fine.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've been thinking of upgrading my RS1 for some time. I bought the RS1 in July of 2007 so I've had it for 12 years and I've gone through many bulbs. Other than bulbs, the RS1 has been a very reliable projector. Anyway when the RS4500 came out I found it to be big, heavy and expensive so I proceeded to wait for a new JVC native 4K solution to arrive. Well, last week I swapped my RS1 for a RS3000. Wow, what a difference. Everything is better. Sharper image, much brighter, much better black levels, better contrast and more vivid colors. Makes me wonder why I waited so long. I was able to unsnap the RS1 from my Chief ceiling mount and snap the RS3000 onto the same mount. I did have to run new cables (HDMI, Ethernet, and Trigger) in order to handle the greater bandwidth and new features. At this time I couldn't be happier. The other major components in the system are the original retractable Stewart Firehawk 100" screen, a Denon AVR-X7200WA receiver and a new Panasonic DP-UB8200 Ultra Blu-ray 4K disc player. I also have the original high end NHT speakers supporting a full 7.2 channels.

9101 - 9120 of 9132 Posts