AVS Forum banner

9121 - 9132 of 9132 Posts

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
I've been thinking of upgrading my RS1 for some time. I bought the RS1 in July of 2007 so I've had it for 12 years and I've gone through many bulbs. Other than bulbs, the RS1 has been a very reliable projector. Anyway when the RS4500 came out I found it to be big, heavy and expensive so I proceeded to wait for a new JVC native 4K solution to arrive. Well, last week I swapped my RS1 for a RS3000. Wow, what a difference. Everything is better. Sharper image, much brighter, much better black levels, better contrast and more vivid colors. Makes me wonder why I waited so long. I was able to unsnap the RS1 from my Chief ceiling mount and snap the RS3000 onto the same mount. I did have to run new cables (HDMI, Ethernet, and Trigger) in order to handle the greater bandwidth and new features. At this time I couldn't be happier. The other major components in the system are the original retractable Stewart Firehawk 100" screen, a Denon AVR-X7200WA receiver and a new Panasonic DP-UB8200 Ultra Blu-ray 4K disc player. I also have the original high end NHT speakers supporting a full 7.2 channels.
Wow... can't imagine that performance jump. I went fron an RS20 to an RS500 and didn't tell my wife. First movie, opening credits... "Wow... that's a really great picture!" She saw the difference right away without even knowing the projector had been changed out.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I've been thinking of upgrading my RS1 for some time. I bought the RS1 in July of 2007 so I've had it for 12 years and I've gone through many bulbs. Other than bulbs, the RS1 has been a very reliable projector. Anyway when the RS4500 came out I found it to be big, heavy and expensive so I proceeded to wait for a new JVC native 4K solution to arrive. Well, last week I swapped my RS1 for a RS3000. Wow, what a difference. Everything is better. Sharper image, much brighter, much better black levels, better contrast and more vivid colors. Makes me wonder why I waited so long. I was able to unsnap the RS1 from my Chief ceiling mount and snap the RS3000 onto the same mount. I did have to run new cables (HDMI, Ethernet, and Trigger) in order to handle the greater bandwidth and new features. At this time I couldn't be happier. The other major components in the system are the original retractable Stewart Firehawk 100" screen, a Denon AVR-X7200WA receiver and a new Panasonic DP-UB8200 Ultra Blu-ray 4K disc player. I also have the original high end NHT speakers supporting a full 7.2 channels.
Thanks for this! I also have an RS1 and am considering upgrading.

One quick question: How would you compare the fan noise of the RS1 and the RS3000?

·
Registered
634 Posts
The JVC RS1 and the RS3000 have almost the same noise level in low lamp mode. In my current installation, using a ceiling mount, I don't really hear any difference and neither one is obvious. I'm attaching a document I did that compares the specifications of several JVC Projectors.
Thanks, marswill, for the reply. And for the comparison PDF! I will be making use of it. :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thanks for this! I also have an RS1 and am considering upgrading.

One quick question: How would you compare the fan noise of the RS1 and the RS3000?
The JVC RS1 and the RS3000 have almost the same noise level in low lamp mode. In my current installation, using a ceiling mount, I don't really hear any difference and neither one is obvious. I'm attaching a document I did that compares the specifications of several JVC Projectors.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello!

I have a used HD1 unit since a few days ago. So far, I've tested it, I've replaced the lamp, cleaned the lens, the filter, calibrated it etc. The image looks generally good, but the bottom left and upper right corners are noticeably bright and, what's worse, pinky... Is there anything I can do to fix or mitigate this? At times it can be quite distracting...

Thanks a lot in advance!!

·
Registered
29,435 Posts
Hello!

I have a used HD1 unit since a few days ago. So far, I've tested it, I've replaced the lamp, cleaned the lens, the filter, calibrated it etc. The image looks generally good, but the bottom left and upper right corners are noticeably bright and, what's worse, pinky... Is there anything I can do to fix or mitigate this? At times it can be quite distracting...

Thanks a lot in advance!!
Sounds like optical block glue failure. I do not know of a fix for this, other than replacement of optical block and that is about 10 times the value of the projector.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hey FPJ1 clan :). It's time for a new bulb on this ol bad boy of mine. I see it on purelandsupply for $132.50 Is it recommended to get that or go with a newer projector. At this time I really wouldn't want to spend over $2k (or anything really) on one so I'm not sure how much of a jump it would be with something newer. I'm using an old 110" Carada white screen and the projector is mounted (guessing) approx 12 feet back. I mainly watch shows and movies via the Nvidia Shield and use the Playstation 4 Pro.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hey FPJ1 clan :). It's time for a new bulb on this ol bad boy of mine. I see it on purelandsupply for $132.50 Is it recommended to get that or go with a newer projector. At this time I really wouldn't want to spend over $2k (or anything really) on one so I'm not sure how much of a jump it would be with something newer. I'm using an old 110" Carada white screen and the projector is mounted (guessing) approx 12 feet back. I mainly watch shows and movies via the Nvidia Shield and use the Playstation 4 Pro.
I went to a couple generations newer DILA and its definitely better, but I'm not sure its $2K better. If I were to do it again, I'd get the bulb and go to 4K when that got reasonable and more supported.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Those were my thoughts as well. I'd really like a nice 4k to keep with the times but I know I can't afford it right now. Just needed someone to agree with me, lol.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone know where I can buy a lens assembly for the RS1?
Or does anyone have a broken unit lying around and willing to part out?

I got a RS1X recently and the lens was damaged during shipping, now the focus ring won't turn and I can see the most outer group of lens(together with the focus ring) was very noticably tilted downward.
I tried to hand turn the focus ring, also tried to see whether I can pull it out by hand, no success, it must have been hit pretty hard and got wedged in there.

Any one had faced similar problem before and know how to fix it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just got a second hand DLA-HD1. I'm finally able to afford a decent budget home cinema, I think, so it's my first projector. I need a new bulb, but so far it looks really great.

Only thing I don't like is the fan noise. I am quite sensitive to noise and it's a bit whiny. Is there a guide somewhere for replacing the fans? In my PC I have Noctua fans which are very quiet. Could I fit fans like that into my projector?

·
Registered
725 Posts
I just posted a step by step on how I swapped the vertical(broken) and horizontal lens shift gears on my RS1. Here‘s the link:

Enjoy!

9121 - 9132 of 9132 Posts