AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the RS50 worth the extra $3500? To pay for THX certification, 99 screen presets and 20,000:1 extra CR? Would that extra CR make a very noticeable difference? I'm thinking no. Even if you had the two projectors side-by-side on the same screen.

·
Registered
7,009 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDD888 /forum/post/20767828

Is the RS50 worth the extra $3500? To pay for THX certification, 99 screen presets and 20,000:1 extra CR? Would that extra CR make a very noticeable difference? I'm thinking no. Even if you had the two projectors side-by-side on the same screen.

I suggest you review the RS50 owner's thread . This same question has be asked there several times. Many current owners of these projectors have suggested that potential buyers of a RS50 should instead purchase a RS40 plus a Lumagen Radiance Mini-3D processor. This combination will give you a brighter projected image (the RS40 has more actual lumens output than the RS50 and RS60) and much better CMS (the CMS in the RS50 and RS60 have issues that JVC has not corrected nor has indicated they have plans to correct). This RS40+ Radiance Mini3D combo is less expensive than an RS50. Finally, HERE is another recent thread asking the same question as you have posed, so perhaps you have looked a little better at the existing threads/posts before creating a new thread.

The AV Science Store (that operates this forum) sells both products at very good discounted prices (you must call to get their best price) and provides excellent customer service. If interested I suggest you give Mark Haflick a call (the AV Science store contact info is HERE ). Although they are a dealer in the USA their store is actually not all that far from Toronto, so shipping costs should not be too much. However, import duties and warranty coverage might be an issue. Perhaps you will find info/recommendations for Canadian JVC dealers in the RS40 or RS50 owner's threads.

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
I can't believe the deja vu...

Anyway, I got the RS50 for 1 reason. I design rooms for a living and "know the JVC people" very well. I would have opted for the RS40 as well, except I got mine(could have gotten either this way) at a price where the RS40 with the Lumagen was more money...

Yes the RS40 and Lumagen is still technically superior, but...for me...

The room also includes a 60" Hitachi Director Series plasma...

And the only sources to hit the RS50 are an Integra DPS6.7, Panasonic DMP BDT-210 and a Directv HD DVR.

Everything else(VHS/CED/laserdisc/Netflix etc) hits the Hitachi.

And spread out between the Hitachi and RS50, the use of the three is...

DPS 6.7...80% Hitachi (mainly foreign language movies that will never make it to BD)

BDT-210...50% Hitachi

Directv...90% Hitachi

Tried the Laser-disc on the RS-50. The image is too big that nothing helps make it clear.

VHS? HAHA

CED? Almost as much HAHA as VHS

Should be noted my screen is approximately(depending on format) 165" and sit around 14 feet away (closest is 8)

·
Registered
13,745 Posts

Quote:

after owning both projectors.. my answer is a solid 'heck no'. save your $$ because the RS50 isn't worth a dollar over the price of an RS40 as far as I'm concerned.

IMO, the current issues with the Gamma and CMS firmly cements the RS50/RS60 as JVC's beta-tester projectors in 2011. I have unfortunately learned first hand from JVC that they are not going to be fixing these issues. Then add in the fact that the RS50 is dimmer than the RS40 and the overall Q/A issues with the lamp for all 3 models.

are you in a rush? you might want to look at the Sony's or at least wait to see if they fixed the outstanding issues in the 2012 models.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k /forum/post/20775530

after owning both projectors.. my answer is a solid 'heck no'. save your $$ because the RS50 isn't worth a dollar over the price of an RS40 as far as I'm concerned.

IMO, the current issues with the Gamma and CMS firmly cements the RS50/RS60 as JVC's beta-tester projectors in 2011. I have unfortunately learned first hand from JVC that they are not going to be fixing these issues. Then add in the fact that the RS50 is dimmer than the RS40 and the overall Q/A issues with the lamp for all 3 models.

are you in a rush? you might want to look at the Sony's or at least wait to see if they fixed the outstanding issues in the 2012 models.

No rush at all. Will be buying a new home soon. Will take at least a year to build any how. But I did hear the JVC's are "the best on the market". And the cost of the RS40 even at list isn't that bad at just under 5k USD.

Didn't know the RS40 actually out performs the RS50/60. Though, I suppose the only obvious difference might be the 100,000:1 CR. 50,000:1 isn't bad all already.

·
Registered
13,745 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDD888 /forum/post/20775659

No rush at all. Will be buying a new home soon. Will take at least a year to build any how. But I did hear the JVC's are "the best on the market". And the cost of the RS40 even at list isn't that bad at just under 5k USD.

Didn't know the RS40 actually out performs the RS50/60. Though, I suppose the only obvious difference might be the 100,000:1 CR. 50,000:1 isn't bad all already.

I'll spare you 7 months of reading.
I originally owned the RS40 and it had a few issues (convergence and focus problems) but the overall IQ was great. I took the opportunity when I sent it back to get an RS50.

long story short.. don't believe the marketing materials. The RS50/RS60 had the potential to become their flagships once again (like the RS25/RS35) but a series of unfortunate events unfolded with the mid/high end 2011 models.

The RS40 is a great bang for the buck if you can get one without issues. Not everyone had a problem, but there appears to be more problems this year than in the past. Then there is always the chance of a bum lamp that has affected all 3 models.

With Cedia coming up soon, there should be a number of new releases coming out to look forward to.

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
To help you out further...

I was originally concerned over the gamma issues of the RS50 myself. But, considering the screen I have (ClearPix2 in grey), it makes up for any deficiency of the RS50. The extras the 50 has(which you'd gain with the Lumagen) are worth it in my situation(as in the projector is NOT used for everything).

My "real cost" of the RS50 was less than $700 more than the RS40. But you aren't going to get the deal I got on my RS50(nobody else is). Mine was a demo from a local HT store that went BACK to their RS40. I also got a free bulb(big whoop) and a 5 year service plan included(as enticement to take it).

The owner of the HT store knew my set-up(he's been to my house) and told me I was about the only person he knew with a theater where the issues of the RS50 wouldn't matter.

Lastly, even with the occasional issues of the RS40 and the shortcomings of the 50/60, they still blow away DLP/LCD.

·
Registered
13,745 Posts
it's good you got a deal, but that certainly doesn't help the OP make a decision where it's a real 2k difference on the street.

honestly after owning both projectors and having them side by side, I'd still have a tough time justifying $700 over the RS40 when in reality, it's the better projector with the out of the box settings.

it's a shame JVC did this to their loyal customers this year. many of us bought on blind faith from their previously stellar reputation on the RS25/RS35 and marketing claims that never came to reality. This is the first time in JVC's history where people who spent more for the mid-range / high end models wished they had saved their $$ and bought the entry model. No one with an RS25 or RS35 posted any regrets wishing they bought the RS15 instead.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ight=rs50+poll

this shows only 9 happy RS50/60 owners out of 36 total. A small poll, but still sends a message that JVC didn't keep their promises in 2011.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Being that I'm not in a hurry...I will be waiting at least a year before my home is built...then another year to finish my basement w/ dedicated HT room. So in this time I might as well just wait to see what JVC does with their RS50 (or it's replacement). But most likely I'll buy the RS40 (or it's replacement). I think for most people the RS40 is more than "good enough".

It is a shame JVC has done this to loyal customers. I'm surprised. JVC was (is) supposed to be THE projector to own. Had been from what I've read and heard (other forums).

Good news is we can get great projectors now for under 5k.

Any one here have the new Vutec curved screen? I wonder how much that screen is selling for. Read that curved screens are the way to go for a more immersive experience.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Hutnicki
By the time you are ready to buy, there will be a whole new line of Sony and JVC projectors. By that time, JVC will have fixed all the issues
Lets hope so Daniel. And if so...do you think the RS50 replacement will be worth worth the extra coin over the RS40 replacement? Assuming the specs are the same as they are now.

For Canadian buyers...I just contacted a shop in Burlington, Ontario. They are selling the RS40 for under $3700.00 CAD. The Lumagen Mini 3D for $1750.00. Bargain!! That's almost half as much as what I paid for my 60" Pioneer Elite Plasma. Though, at the time I was living in a town home...no room for a projector/screen setup.

·
Registered
374 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k /forum/post/20775736

long story short.. don't believe the marketing materials. The RS50/RS60 had the potential to become their flagships once again (like the RS25/RS35) but a series of unfortunate events unfolded with the mid/high end 2011 models.

I still think JVC pulled a joke on us this year and flipped their numbering system. In 2011, the RS40 is the high end model.

·
Banned
6,051 Posts

Quote:
And if so...do you think the RS50 replacement will be worth worth the extra coin over the RS40 replacement? Assuming the specs are the same as they are now.

The RS25 and 35 was better than the RS15

The RS20 was better than the RS10

Maybe the RS2 was better than the RS1

At this point, without taking 3D into consideration, the RS35 was their best

·
Registered
13,745 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagg /forum/post/20779850

I still think JVC pulled a joke on us this year and flipped their numbering system. In 2011, the RS40 is the high end model.

no kidding..
it's a joke that left a $2,000 hole in my pocket (price diff between 40/50) wondering why JVC refuses to fix the CMS/Gamma issues that affect the RS50. They should be offering steep discounts on next years models for those that got burned by buying into the mid/high end models this year.

for those ready to invest in JVC, it might be a good idea to learn from other's mistakes and wait until JVC's new 2012 models are released. Then let a few months pass by so that early adopters can point out the issues and credited tech guru's like Kraine and Cine4home can give the real reviews on these upcoming models.

A number of members who owned RS35's bought into the 50/60 hype, only to be let down by a projector that didn't meet the lumen claims that JVC was bragging about in the early marketing material. Most sold or returned these to their dealers and kept the RS35.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wonder what they will do with the 2012 models. Will they just put out the exact same spec model but with the fixes? Or will there be some worthy new features? Hmmm... Can only speculate... As long as they stay at the same price points. I thought the RS40 would have been more expensive than it is.

·
Registered
6,697 Posts

Quote:

Is the RS50 worth the extra $3500? To pay for THX certification, 99 screen presets and 20,000:1 extra CR? Would that extra CR make a very noticeable difference I'm thinking no. Even if you had the two projectors side-by-side on the same screen.?

Hi,

Official JVC RS-50 Owner's Thread, Posting#3671

Larry

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryChanin /forum/post/20797858

Hi,

Official JVC RS-50 Owner's Thread, Posting#3671

Larry

Thanks Larry. I'm definitely getting the replacement for the RS40 probably late in 2012 or early 2013. It's clearly the better value. Pretty much the same performance in real world use. I think most buyers will be getting their projectors professionally calibrated. If not...then maybe getting the RS50 would be worth it. Though there is still a 2-3k difference. Better to use the money for a good screen with masking.

I like the new ones from Vutec...wonder how much they cost. But there is one from Da-Lite for roughly $2500 CAD (depending on screen size)...

http://www.hd.ca/da-lite_CAN/proimagerhoriz.php

·
Registered
8 Posts
Would you buy a HD950 for $5300, RS35 for $6400, or an RS40 for $4500? I don't care about 3D. I just care about 2D image quality in a completely dark 8 lounge chair home theater on a 120" screen. I also will have a Pioneer Elite SC35 receiver with the Marvell chip for video processing. I currently have a 720p SIM2 C3X DLP projector (orig MSP $20K). Or should I just wait another 6 months for the new models?

·
Registered
JVC RS3100 | Benq HT9050 | MADVR w/ RTX 3080| 130in 2.35:1 | 5.2.2
5,936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2andpj /forum/post/0

Would you buy a HD950 for $5300, RS35 for $6400, or an RS40 for $4500? I don't care about 3D. I just care about 2D image quality in a completely dark 8 lounge chair home theater on a 120" screen. I also will have a Pioneer Elite SC35 receiver with the Marvell chip for video processing. I currently have a 720p SIM2 C3X DLP projector (orig MSP $20K). Or should I just wait another 6 months for the new models?

A RS40 should not cost more than $3600

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.