AVS Forum banner

821 - 840 of 2058 Posts

·
Registered
13,277 Posts
LOL at the backwards pricing, I wish I could buy the 970R for $3, 999 :)
This formal news is huge. They finally listened and included the gaming mode which so many have been asking for.

before the choices were the completely outdated HW65 with the mediocre lens or the Epson 5040 with the huge pixel gap that I found distracting on a recent 5040 calibration. I do not want to have to run e-shift all the time to eliminate the pixel gap.

plus best in class native that the Epson / Sony 1080P models can't touch by a mile. full 18GB HDMI that even the $15,000 Sony 4K's are still waiting for.

I bet they are going to sell a TON of the entry RS420 especially if they do a pre-order here in the US.

·
Registered
170 Posts
dosnt this feel like a repacking and a software update? can anybody share confirmed details about actual hardware that is upgraded in these new models. the brightness and low lag mod can be achieved by a software update, the MAC pixel shifting upscaling can also be a software update.

HDMI Sync times can't be achieved via software update - they never mentioned anything about the 18 seconds it takes the image to load when changing htmi ports or syncing.

And still no native 4K :(

·
Registered
28,774 Posts
This formal news is huge. They finally listened and included the gaming mode which so many have been asking for.

before the choices were the completely outdated HW65 with the mediocre lens or the Epson 5040 with the huge pixel gap that I found distracting on a recent 5040 calibration. I do not want to have to run e-shift all the time to eliminate the pixel gap.

plus best in class native that the Epson / Sony 1080P models can't touch by a mile. full 18GB HDMI that even the $15,000 Sony 4K's are still waiting for.

I bet they are going to sell a TON of the entry RS420 especially if they do a pre-order here in the US.
That is the plan. :)

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
I'm still waiting for new info, not just confirmations of what we already knew.

Have they fixed/improved HDR? Or did they just change what 0 means in the menus.
Any improvements to HDMI Sync times?
How low is low lag? (I assume ~32ms from comments here, but official confirmation would be nice)

·
Registered
14,460 Posts
dosnt this feel like a repacking and a software update? can anybody share confirmed details about actual hardware that is upgraded in these new models. the brightness and low lag mod can be achieved by a software update, the MAC pixel shifting upscaling can also be a software update.

HDMI Sync times can't be achieved via software update - they never mentioned anything about the 18 seconds it takes the image to load when changing htmi ports or syncing.

And still no native 4K :(
The game mode is probably the only real reason to buy one of these unless we hear they made changes to faster sync which bothers some people or HDR. I thought I heard the game mode did require a hardware change.

I'm sure a larger refresh will happen for 2018, so Cedia should be very interesting.

But If I got a dollar for every time someone looking for a new projector asked about gaming on the JVC, I could probably retire at 44 years old. :) I think JVC is going to clean house on these RS models this year. Sony and Epson better come up with another reason to purchase one of their players at the current pricing and given features.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Are these true 4K or are they E-Shift. Somebody decode their marketing flim flam speech for me!!!

·
Registered
28,774 Posts
Are these true 4K or are they E-Shift. Somebody decode their marketing flim flam speech for me!!!
The RS420/520/620 ar E shift 4, not native 4K. If you want a native 4K JVC, you have to leap, not step, up to the RS4500.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Looking verrrrry interesting....hmmmm.....:D

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Main Specifications
MODEL
DLA-X970R/RS620
DLA-X770R/RS520
DLA-X570R/RS420
Brightness*
2,000m
1,900lm
1,800lm
Contrast Ratio
Dynamic
1,600,000:1
1,300,000:1
400,000:1
Native
160,000:1
130,000:1
40,000:1
e-shift4 Technology
My wife and I still enjoy an RS1 that we bought new 9 years ago.

Because people in our neck of the woods do not have the opportunity to see JVC projectors in action (with the lucky exception of being able to see one in an owner's home, which we did nine years ago), I have two general questions about these new models with respect to only contrast ratio and brightness.

How much of a difference will there be in overall "picture quality" between the two more expensive models and will it take an instrument other than a pair of human eyes to see/"notice" it (will a 770's image with zero lamp hours look as bright as a 970's with 100)?

How much of a noticeable difference will there be in picture quality between the contrast ratios of the 970 and 770; how much of a difference is there between native and dynamic contrast ratios in a given model and in what type of scene would you notice/appreciate that difference the most?

Thanks.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Am I correct that the 40,000:1 native contrast for the RS420 is still much better than my Sony HW50 that is getting long in the tooth? Or do I need to step up to the next level RS520 for that?

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
821 - 840 of 2058 Posts