AVS Forum banner

841 - 860 of 2058 Posts

·
Registered
14,462 Posts
Am I correct that the 40,000:1 native contrast for the RS420 is still much better than my Sony HW50 that is getting long in the tooth? Or do I need to step up to the next level RS520 for that?
The RS420 would show a big improvement in contrast over the HW50. But, the RS520 is still better than the RS420 in this regard.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Is all the new JVC now completely identical except contrast and light output?
Does the smallest JVC now have DCI, same e-shift and the same panels as the bigger brothers?

·
Banned
10,827 Posts
Does the smallest JVC now have DCI, same e-shift and the same panels as the bigger brothers?
The models remain essentially the same in overall picture quality but with some added perks at the same price point which is fantastic. I think this is why they chose an "incremental" model name change with these units, hence the "20" in their name and not a new "whole" number. The main improvements to the line up are the low lag gaming mode and a refined MPC algorithm. To what end the new MPC algorithm helps in 4K reproduction through eshift will have to looked at closely and compared to the RS400/500/600. It's been explained that the increase in lumen output and contrast performance is due to production line changes and tighter quality control during the manufacturing process. If you bought a new RS400, RS500, or RS600 towards the end of their production cycle, they should perform identical to these new models in those two performance areas. All three units use the exact same 12bit DiLA panels, just like last year, but the RS400 and the RS420 uses two "last generation" wire grid polarizers and one current generation wire grid polarizer. The RS500/520 and RS600/620 use three current generation wire grid polarizers which helps account for much higher native contrast performance. With that said, the RS400 had a limitation in it's video processing where one link in the processing chain was 10 bit so the end result was only 10bit. The RS500 and RS600 have full 12bit end to end video processing. I wonder if we can get confirmation that the RS420 has been updated? The RS420 will lack the DCI filter for P3 color reproduction.

·
Registered
28,778 Posts
Same E-shift, but differences in the light engine between 420 and the above models. 420 does not have the DCI filter.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
How much of a difference will there be in overall "picture quality" between the two more expensive models and will it take an instrument other than a pair of human eyes to see/"notice" it (will a 770's image with zero lamp hours look as bright as a 970's with 100)?
It will be a huge difference, they're capable of being about twice as bright, and up to 10x more native contrast than your RS1. Plus sharper, better, more accurate color, better motion handling. They're better in every way, and not by a little bit.

How much of a noticeable difference will there be in picture quality between the contrast ratios of the 970 and 770; how much of a difference is there between native and dynamic contrast ratios in a given model and in what type of scene would you notice/appreciate that difference the most?
970 vs 770, you're unlikely to see a difference, the 970 is basically just a buying increased odds of getting one higher on the performance curve, and a longer warranty.

Really the only difference with the new models is low lag mode, and some software improvements (MPC, and supposedly HDR/Gamma D Defaults). Apparently the increase in spec is not an actual improvement, but a reflection of the actual performance of the prior models after a year of manufacturing maturity.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Same E-shift, but differences in the light engine between 420 and the above models. 420 does not have the DCI filter.
So Mike, if I were to do a comparison between Epson 5040/6040 and the RS420, the contrast edge and full 18gbps passthrough (not an issue with UHD discs) would go to JVC. The brightness and WCG would go to the Epson.

Correct? Missing anything major?

·
Banned
10,827 Posts
So Mike, if I were to do a comparison between Epson 5040/6040 and the RS420, the contrast edge and full 18gbps passthrough (not an issue with UHD discs) would go to JVC. The brightness and WCG would go to the Epson.

Im not Mike, but if you compare calibrated brightness between the projectors or even the best out of the box color modes (uncalibrated but closest to correct color) they both measure about the same. The Epson is only brighter in its dynamic mode which has a green tint to the image. IMO, the extra contrast has more of an impact on the image than the extra large color gamut. The JVC also has a better dynamic contrast system too so that's something to consider. Epson's eshift system optically softens the image more over JVCs implementation. Optically speaking, the JVC will offer a slight advantage in sharpness over the Epson.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Good points, and thank you. Is it no WCG at all, or is it just not quite as wide? 709? Anyway, and I'm not doubting you, as I haven't seen the JVC in person, but others say that the opposite about the perceived sharpness. Maybe that's pixel gap created, etc...There again, I haven't seen it. And, I know that most who know (and don't game) go with JVC for ultimate PQ.

·
Registered
28,778 Posts

Missing a lot of things, but really they are more setup specif. While the 5040 can do the WCG, the 5040 does not have a lot of light output when doing so. So if your screen size is pretty decent, you will probably find that you can't use the WCG with the 5040. Also depending on viewing distance and screen size, you may have to use E-shift with the Epson so that you do not see pixel gap (screen door effect). With the JVC's smaller pixel gap, you can keep 1:1 pixel mapping with 1080P content if you want. 1:1 with 1080P will provide the sharpest image compared to E-shifted 1080P image.

·
Registered
28,778 Posts
Good points, and thank you. Is it no WCG at all, or is it just not quite as wide? 709? Anyway, and I'm not doubting you, as I haven't seen the JVC in person, but others say that the opposite about the perceived sharpness. Maybe that's pixel gap created, etc...There again, I haven't seen it. And, I know that most who know (and don't game) go with JVC for ultimate PQ.
The RS400/420 can do about 85% of DCI color space.

·
Banned
10,827 Posts
It does what the current Sony 4K projectors do (the exception being the 5000ES). It uses the projector's native color gamut (without a filter) which is larger than REC709:

Here is the RS400's native gamut. Expect the RS420's to be similar.

So while it may not provide full P3 coverage, it will provide greater than REC709 coverage if you want it to during UHD Blu-ray movies. You can see that red and green in particular will provide saturation well beyond REC709 in the projector's native color gamut.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Thanks to both of you!

·
Registered
14,462 Posts
It does what the current Sony 4K projectors do (the exception being the 5000ES). It uses the projector's native color gamut (without a filter) which is larger than REC709:

Here is the RS400's native gamut. Expect the RS420's to be similar.

So while it may not provide full P3 coverage, it will provide greater than REC709 coverage if you want it to during UHD Blu-ray movies. You can see that red and green in particular will provide saturation well beyond REC709 in the projector's native color gamut.

Amazing really how the RS420 matches or exceeds the $15K Sony in nearly every area at a 1/4 or so of the price.

·
Registered
14,462 Posts
Out of curiosity, I asked Mike about these new JVCs and he told me they would be shipping in about a month. Pre-order pricing being worked on.

841 - 860 of 2058 Posts