AVS Forum banner
1641 - 1660 of 2571 Posts

·
Registered
16,991 Posts
That's interesting to read. The flicker always bothers me on the JVC in 3D, but I've always found that after 15-20mins of viewing, I don't notice it nearly as much. I had always assume my eyes/brain just took that long to adjust and filter out the flicker. Is it possible that warm up reduces the flicker also?
If warm up time does reduce flicker, it wasn't anywhere near enough. Ghosting is a different story and the warm up helps significantly which gets the ghosting to a very minimal level.

·
Registered
15,396 Posts
If warm up time does reduce flicker, it wasn't anywhere near enough. Ghosting is a different story and the warm up helps significantly which gets the ghosting to a very minimal level.
I would expect warm up to make flicker worse since the fluid has a faster response time as it heats up.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Toe;54796018 said:
Time to play the projector lottery I suppose and hope whatever 540 hits my doorstep doesn't have bright corners like my 520.
Don't have bright corners on my 520. But convergence is a bit off at the edge.

So it's just lottery.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Don't have bright corners on my 520. But convergence is a bit off at the edge.

So it's just lottery.
So, the question is, if you get one that has real bright corners is that something JVC would take back and replace?

·
Registered
13,567 Posts
Which Sharp 3D DLP do you own?

Didn't know that about letting the panels warm up. Thanks.
I have a pair of Sharp XV-Z30000 3D DLP's, these are long out of production but still one of the best 3D DLP's out there.

That's interesting to read. The flicker always bothers me on the JVC in 3D, but I've always found that after 15-20mins of viewing, I don't notice it nearly as much. I had always assume my eyes/brain just took that long to adjust and filter out the flicker. Is it possible that warm up reduces the flicker also?
after the 15-20 min warmup the x-talk is noticeably better vs. cold boot and I do see some reduction of flicker.

I watch all my 3D movies on both the JVC and the DLP. both have their own advantages. The JVC kills in contrast on movies with lower APL scenes. They get flat real quick on the DLP's with only 2K:1 native.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Anyone know if any universal mounts work with the RS520 or RS540? I found the mount that lots of people buy earlier in this thread, but the one I currently use is low profile and works pretty well.

Here it is, and the arms extend to varying lengths to accommodate different hole patterns. ABTUS AV817

Unfortunately, I couldn't find anything on the RS540's mounting setup either.

I'd much appreciate any info!
JVC had a new mount at CEDIA for their projectors.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Okay... big question... Will the new RS640 allow me to turn off e-shift if the projector is receiving a 4k signal? This is going to be a problem for me if it will not allow this.

I have run into an issue where my new Panasonic UHD player looks like hell (super soft) when outputting 1080p signal. I would prefer to output 4k and not use e-shift (the buzzing vibration noise is way too loud for me and the projector is about 4 ft behind and 4 ft above my head).

·
Registered
20,458 Posts
Okay... big question... Will the new RS640 allow me to turn off e-shift if the projector is receiving a 4k signal? This is going to be a problem for me if it will not allow this.

I have run into an issue where my new Panasonic UHD player looks like hell (super soft) when outputting 1080p signal. I would prefer to output 4k and not use e-shift (the buzzing vibration noise is way too loud for me and the projector is about 4 ft behind and 4 ft above my head).
No. When you send 4K, it turns eshift on. Why is the Panny looking soft with 1080p ? You might check the settings on it. That doesn't sound right.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts

You can't turn off eshift on a 4K signal. You can on a 1080p signal but not 4K because it would not be able to display the 4k without eshift and it doesn't down convert.

·
Registered
9,450 Posts

Never. That's fundamentally needed to display 4k.

Perhaps your e-shift is faulty? It does not make very much noise on my machine, and mine is 3ft from my head. There is certainly no buzzing on mine. Though have heard of other users reporting loud e-shift. Seems it can vary unit to unit, which makes me think if its too much of an issue you can get yours swapped.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Just to be clear the loud e-shift is on my current 4910.

Well this sucks. Now I have the added variable of whether a new RS640 will have a loud buzzing e-shift or not. I can have a louder fan with the Sony 385 or buzzing e-shift with the RS640.

It seems that most people state that they can hear e-shift but it is not "that" loud. I can't imagine audio/video perfectionists, like myself, in this forum would be okay with the e-shift noise I hear.

I guess e-shift is too loud for me if I can hear it over the low lamp fan noise without e-shift on.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I am getting notified of posts via email and then they are not showing up on the forum. There seems to be a lot of this happening.

Moderators?

·
Registered
32,094 Posts

E-shift is on, automaticlly if receiving a 4K input. That is the only way the JVC can display a 4K image. You can turn off E-shift for regular BD. Also the E-shift noise should not be loud.

·
Banned
10,827 Posts

It's not possible for the projector to receive a UHD or 4K image and have eshift disabled. Downscaling is a relatively easy thing for video processors to do. I haven't tried to output 1080p from a UHD Blu-ray disc on my UB900, but I would double check your settings on the player to be sure there isn't something set incorrectly. It's very odd to hear that the image looks soft.

·
Registered
9,450 Posts

Well this sucks. Now I have the added variable of whether a new RS640 will have a loud buzzing e-shift or not. I can have a louder fan with the Sony 385 or buzzing e-shift with the RS640.

It seems that most people state that they can hear e-shift but it is not "that" loud. I can't imagine audio/video perfectionists, like myself, in this forum would be okay with the e-shift noise I hear.

I guess e-shift is too loud for me if I can hear it over the low lamp fan noise without e-shift on.

Ill see if I can record a realistic eshift noise recording for you, and do it in a way where it should simulate the real perceivable volume.

Eshift adds maybe 1db of noise if that. Its more like the db level is the same it just layers in a different frequency.

High lamp would easily sound twice as loud as low lamp+ eshift would.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts

Why do you think the Sony will have a louder fan? Going just by db readings from the manufacturer can be misleading because you don't know at what distance they measure from and the sound varies depending on which speed it needs for cooling.

I would bet that the fan noise on the Sony is very similar to the JVC.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Why do you think the Sony will have a louder fan? Going just by db readings from the manufacturer can be misleading because you don't know at what distance they measure from and the sound varies depending on which speed it needs for cooling.

I would bet that the fan noise on the Sony is very similar to the JVC.
You have made some great points. There is no industry spec for measuring projector fan noise that I am aware of :).

1641 - 1660 of 2571 Posts