AVS Forum banner

1701 - 1720 of 2570 Posts

·
Banned
4,750 Posts
What HDMI cables are people using that are reasonably priced yet work with all modes such as e-shift gaming with HDR and low lag mode all on simultaneously? I see an absurd range of prices for cables that claim to carry the full 18 GBPS signal from ~$15 to $350+
Monoprice certified premium here. No issues.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
What HDMI cables are people using that are reasonably priced yet work with all modes such as e-shift gaming with HDR and low lag mode all on simultaneously? I see an absurd range of prices for cables that claim to carry the full 18 GBPS signal from ~$15 to $350+
Forum member Arrow-AV has a great thread titled: TEST REPORTS | HDMI CABLES WHICH PROPERLY AND RELIABLY SUPPORT 18GBPS & HDMI 2.0b

Where they have tested various cables. You can download the test reports and they are very helpful in my opinion. I am using the Monoprice slim run [email protected] 75ft and I have had no issues but my projector can't accept HDR so I can't fully test it in my set up.

Reactions: Haiej and BL4DE

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'm using celerity cable, that runs from the X950 HDMI over the false roof straight to the main output in the CSA 5100 and a premium high speed cable from the HDMI 1 out of the Oppo to the correspondent AV bluray in the pre/pro. My 205 Oppo is coming and I expect to have no problems with compatible cables.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
This update is performed internally. So, much greater risk if done wrong and you would have to take the projector apart to even do the work, so no way this can be done by an end user.
Well, I could do it myself. And I'm an end user*. Even if it required going all the way down to a JTAG interface. But then, I'm an embedded systems engineer, which 99.99% of end users are likely not. :) Plus, I have a 400, not a 420, so the firmware may not even be compatible.

[* technically I'm not a user of any kind, since mine is still in the box. :( but the principle applies.]

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
No, I do not keep getting this wrong. JVC had to make a lot of guesses on how HDR could work with a projector. Keep in mind the projectors were released for shipping in November 2015, but the design had to be done much earlier than that.
I bought my 400 in late 2016. From you, in fact. Should JVC have been expected to understand the problem by then?

Or were they still "guessing", even though others (end users :eek: ) were figuring out and solving them?

These are not intrinsic design issues, that could not have been rectified in shipping models. Or corrected in previously shipped units.

·
Registered
29,971 Posts
I bought my 400 in late 2016. From you, in fact. Should JVC have been expected to understand the problem by then?

Or were they still "guessing", even though others (end users :eek: ) were figuring out and solving them?

These are not intrinsic design issues, that could not have been rectified in shipping models. Or corrected in previously shipped units.
The 400 was designed in 2015. Started shipping in December of 2016. Buying it later does not have anything to do with it. It still is a projector that was manufactured from a 2015 design.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Thanks, I should have said the maximal native on/off on the rs400 was significantly less than on the rs400. :)
I think you got that reversed. Shouldn't it have been, "the maximal native on/off on the rs400 was significantly less than on the rs400." :D

Just pulling your leg. One of those should have been RS49.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
The 400 was designed in 2015. Started shipping in December of 2016. Buying it later does not have anything to do with it. It still is a projector that was manufactured from a 2015 design.

Except in the most recent case where newer x20 series being built suddenly get the new firmware that handles CMD correctly.

And older x20 models like mine don't. And will not get them.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
seeing you have some answer what he should and shouldnt get. is there some reason we dont get a proper gamma that fixes gamma D why isn't the newer gamma something we can download for projectors prior to the 20 series ?

whats wiht HLG why isn't that a firmware update ? they all have the same hdmi chipset dont they ?

why isn't dynamic iris able to be unlocked on all projectors with HDR prior to just released series ?

love to hear if there are any insights on this :)

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
seeing you have some answer what he should and shouldnt get. is there some reason we dont get a proper gamma that fixes gamma D why isn't the newer gamma something we can download for projectors prior to the 20 series ?
Because apparently Gamma D works as it was intended to by JVC when they designed it.

whats wiht HLG why isn't that a firmware update ?
Because that's a new feature.

why isn't dynamic iris able to be unlocked on all projectors with HDR prior to just released series ?
Because that's a new feature.

As much as none of us like the policy, JVC's policy is to fix issues/problems where the machine is not working as it was designed to (CMD isn't supposed to produce banding), but they don't provide feature updates/improvements to existing models.

Arguably, per JVC's policy, they should have fixed the Dark Level adjustments causing elevated black levels, but I guess not enough people complained about that one.

·
Registered
29,971 Posts
Except in the most recent case where newer x20 series being built suddenly get the new firmware that handles CMD correctly.

And older x20 models like mine don't. And will not get them.
They can get the fix, it just can't be handled by a regular firmware update.

·
Registered
29,971 Posts

whats wiht HLG why isn't that a firmware update ? they all have the same hdmi chipset dont they ?

love to hear if there are any insights on this :)
Stanger89 answered this in post 1712.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Can HLG be added later on with a firmware updated or is it a hardware issue?

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
That's not the kind of thing they're going to post on their website, but it's been communicated (officially or unofficially) to their dealers like Craig and Mike who have passed it on to us.

1701 - 1720 of 2570 Posts