AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned the JVC XV-FA90BK for more than a week and am generally pleased with this player. But there's one thing that bothers me. The player makes quite a bit of noise, like a floppy disk drive, when it does a disc access, especially during DVD menu navigations.

I've owned 3 other players in the past, including a JVC XV-D723GD, but none makes me feel uncomfotable with its drive mechanism like this one.

Do I have a defective player? Or is this normal for this particular player? Any comment is appreciated.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I have the XV-721BK and i've had problems with it since day one.The picture drops out when there is a loud explosion or bright flash of light and the sound cuts out when there are scene changes and menu selections.This is'nt a problem inherant to just my particular unit as i had to return it 3 times and got new ones and just gave up.This unit is quite loud as well.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have 723GD for almost half year now. And it's pretty quite. I would do an exchange see if still have the same problem.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I've had two 723GDs in the last year.

The first one I got for $600 in January, 2001. Then, 5 months later I got a spare one for $340 to use while the first one went in for a (free) firmware upgrade. They both have worked well.

I think the main electronics (decoder chips, etc.) in their later models are all the same, but they have definitely changed the transports since they can handle CD-R formats now.

dreamstate:

The picture dropout during bright flash sounds familiar. But, the problem I'm thinking of actually had to do with a particular TV model. Here's a thread that might apply. Otherwise, do a search for "bright flash" in the HDTV Hardware forum for some others.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I too have experienced loss of sync OnceInAwhile from Explosions/Bright flashes with the JVC723GD...

(and I love Action Movies which are 80% of my collection)

But when I dial down the GAMMA/BRIGHTNESS/CONTRAST a notch or 2 it will play just fine.

So I reason maybe it is just OverDriving my LP350 projector, not actually going out of sync itself??

Compared to other DVD players I have A/B, this units drive mechanism seems 1stRate.

Others have said it is very fast, but to be Honest I don't pay much attention, I just put in the Movie and watch it.

And since I mostly watch LoudActionMovies with a Sony STR-DA777es 120watt/5 channels driving Altec Lansing 846b Valencia

(2way 15in Base Driver 811b Sectoral Horn aka home version of the A7-8 Voice of the Theater){No need for a SubWoofer}.

How could I ever hear any DVD transport noise or Projector Fan??

It's a good thing my neighbor BOB lives 63 miles away in Altadena.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You are right. I can hardly hear anything coming from the transport during movie playback. In fact it is the quietest player I've had in that regard. But the noise issue comes up when I dive into all these 'bonus/special features', and I do that mostly at night when everyone else is asleep.

The unit was bought online, so it's a hassle to get it exchanged. If I can get some peace of mind knowing it's not defective but just an annoyance, then I can live with that.

Thanks

·
Registered
625 Posts
Best Buy has JVC XV-FA95GD / XV-FA85GD (not sure which one but kinda thinks its the 85.

Since this is only a GOLD version, you could go to the store and demo for yourself.

PeaceOfMind being what it is :cool:

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
With my Sennheiser 5 sounds into headphones Dolby Pro-Logic surround system I can have it as loud as I can hear it at 3 A.M. I once had speakers but neighbors kept calling landlord, so in 1994 I seen this set up in Home Theatre mag which I am a subscriber. I never want to go back to speakers and the trouble they cause just because I like it loud.

If interested in solving the problem of the noise of the player and listening as loud as you want http://www.sennheiser.com when on site look for Dolby Pro-Logic Surround with headphones price is around $246. I bought this system in 1994 price was $399 I have 5, I have 2 online for audio and video and 3 in the closet for future use. 7 years of daily use my first one has yet to stop working!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mit_hd
I've owned the JVC XV-FA90BK for more than a week and am generally pleased with this player. But there's one thing that bothers me. The player makes quite a bit of noise, like a floppy disk drive, when it does a disc access, especially during DVD menu navigations.

I've owned 3 other players in the past, including a JVC XV-D723GD, but none makes me feel uncomfotable with its drive mechanism like this one.

Do I have a defective player? Or is this normal for this particular player? Any comment is appreciated.
Well, I own a JVC XV-FA92SL (The 7 disker with the built in decoders) and while playing I found it pretty quiet. However the changer mechanism is a real mechanical sounding device, with each change of disc resulting in a series of noises that make me wonder if the darn thing is going to lurch off its pedestal :D

I'm not too worried though, bought a 4 year extended warranty with it :p (I know, a waste of $$ right? yeah well that changer mechanism looks like it would just *love* to die at the exact moment I have no $ to replace it)

As to noise, my Apex's made about the same levels of noise but were far worse when having to access special features of certain DVD's, especially anime titles that saved space by only recording the opening & closings for each episode once and forced the player to hop back there each time, resulting in what I can best describe as a lurching sound :mad:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.