AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I have a new failure mode this morning.

I went to play back the end of my tapes I recorded last night as usual to check for the pixel issue. One the first deck I did, when I went to play back, I got a white screen with a white message on it saying

wait a minutes

calibrating

(201)

I have never seen this. When it stopped and I played the tape, major pixels. Great. I put the tape into another machine, works fine. I put a different tape into this deck, pixels, put in another machine fine.

I unplug the unit, pulled the fire wire, and same results.

When I play a svhs tape, its doing its syncing, screen will go its normal white for a second, but I can see a larger set of white words for a split second that I have never seen before.

So, for the 10 minutes I played around before I had to come into work, it was 100% repeatable now. I didnt get a chance to record a new tape and try it. Lets say it now plays on this deck but not on the others.

I called my JVC engr mgr contact this morning to see if he had ever heard of this. Said no but would get back to me.

So, has anyone else seen this mode?

If it isnt one thing, its something else. Sometimes I wonder if this "hobby" is worth all the hassle. MikeM, I have to agree that using my DVD discs is SO MUCH LESS HASSLE!!!!!!!!

Dave

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
"wait a minutes"?!? :)

Well, it doesn't quite have the ring of "All your base are belong to us," but it's not without charm. The boys in QA must have had their universal translator turned off that day...

·
Registered
172 Posts
I've had that broken engrish message pop up a number of times. On days when it does that, the message just keeps coming up no matter what D-VHS movie I pop in. Usually the next day it works fine again. I attribute it to possible electric (?) interference where I live.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great, will see if its there tonight. So you are saying you have seen it also.

Great, no reason why. My tapes dont play correctly in the machine though now. Did your tapes play poorly when you saw this?

Dave

·
Registered
172 Posts
Most of the time the message comes up when I first put in a tape to watch. The last time however, it occured after a viewing of Fight Club that had a couple of video glitches in it (first time that had occured for me). When I was done with the movie I went to rewind it to a certain scene and that craptastic message popped up again. I didn't have any problems with it the next day, but still for the $1200 bucks I paid for the thing what a crock of $hit.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
...and the hits just keep on coming.

Dave:

I feel for you because I know how much you have invested in this hobby and how often you use your machines. The only reason I'm not hollering all day long like some others is because I seldom use mine and never record with it. In other words, my one machine ( I know you have several and therefore compounding the problem) is only used for periodic playback so I manage to avoid wear and tear and the likelihood something will go awry. Strange way to live isn't it? JVC has built a lemon and they know it. We will have to wait and see how they plan to deal with it-- that;s all we can do. Man, how I wish HD DVD was here already.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.