AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I have a JVC GZ-HM200BU. When it records videos the file format is numbers only so the first video I takeis 00000, the second video is 00001 and so on. The numbers continue to count higher until I upload the videos to my computer and then format the memory card.

Once I format the video card the numbers start over at 00000. I'm formatting the memory card using the camera's menu, not my PC. In the camera menu there's an option to format "File" or "File plus management NO." So it looks like the camera should be capable of just erasing the file and keeping the management number but I've tried both of those options and they both start the file naming again at 00000. Is there any way around this?

Sometimes when I'm working on a video project I like to copy the videos I'm going to be working with to a single folder so they're all in one place. And of course since many of them have the same names I have to rename them before I can move them. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Well, I dont know about the camera or the in camera labeling. But I do know a very easy work around.

-Put all the files in the same folder.

-Organize them by modified or taken on date (however your computer and camera works)

-Highlight all of the files

-Right Click--rename

-Rename all the files 0000 (Or whatever you want)

Because all of the files are organized by the date they were capture they will all be in the original order. And because they all have the same name, the computer will automatically add the parenthetical (1, 2, 3, etc...) after the file. Thus giving you the exact same results, in a matter of, literally, 5-8 seconds.

EDIT: I just realized I misunderstood your key issue. To move it, you can just highlight and rename all of the files at once, as mentioned above. Thus making it a fairly quickly resolved issue I think?

Granted, in camera would be ideal, but perhaps this is a suitable solution for your needs?

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
renaming the files is better anyway..... and it's not hard at all. Download a batch renamer program (lots of free ones around).

I download all clips into a temp folder, then batch rename them with their original time/date stamp (sample: 6-28-2009 07,48,42.MTS). It takes all of 2 minutes to do 3 or 4 thousand at a time. Each clip has its time down to the nearest second so you will never have two clips with the same name.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.