AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a used JVC G10U in my posession with 260 hours on it. It is exceptionally clean, no dead pixels, and very good color uniformity. If I decide to keep it, it'll cost me $2500. In addition to the pj, I'll also need an ISCO II (throw is too long to get the size I want), an HTPC and Dilard + Sensor. This will cost me close to 5K.

At first glance, I'm extremely impressed with the smooth picture and colors, using a Panny RP56. But, the contrast is lacking and doesn't have much punch. My only point of comparison is an LT150z which had a brighter, punchier image, but rainbows up the wazoo. How much improvement can I expect to see in contrast and black level after calibration with Dilard. If it's anywhere near what I saw with the LT150z, I think I'll keep the G10. I'm worried that although this was the top of the line HT projector a couple years ago, I'm buying yesterday's technology that just can't compete.

Has anyone seen a calibrated G10 alongside an LT150(z)?

If I don't keep this Dila, I'll most likely buy an Epson TW100 which all but eliminates the need for a HTPC. This will cost me 4K, and require less work (mounting, tweaking, masking, hushing, venting etc.)

I'd really like to keep the G10, just need some encouragement. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

-jp

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
a search of this forum would produce many people with G10s and wonderful experiences calibrating them.

The experts say the G10 must be calibrated!

Typically you should see a factory contrast ratio or 80-200:1 go to a dilard (or other calibration) of 600-700:1. The G10 can benefit from calibration probably more than any other D-ILA product.

I recommend checking this place out
http://www.immersiveforum.com/immers...php?forumid=91

I'm shocked you are even comparing a G10 to a Lt150. After calibration they wont even be in the same galaxy.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tryg, thanks for the response.

"I'm shocked you are even comparing a G10 to a Lt150. After calibration they wont even be in the same galaxy. "

That's what I was hoping to hear. I only mentioned the LT150z since it's the only pj I've had in my home with a similiar setup.

I have done much searching and have read many posts about excellent post calibration results. It's just hard to take the leap, hoping that I'll have the same success. Plus, Dilard + Sensor is out of stock for the time being, so it'll be hard to sit around waiting for the upgrade.

Is the $2500 a good deal?

-jp

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
yes. g10s uncalibrate with no problems range from $3000-$5000

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.