AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I notice that a lot of D-ILA owners have the JVC brand as opposed to the Dukane. What are the differences? Dukane seems to have an awfully good warranty.

Another question is, if I bought a D-ILA machine and wanted to use a 16x9 screen is there excessive light above and below the screen or do most of you use a scaler or HTPC that can be set for 16x9 output? I don't think I want to go with HTPC right now. Hell, I've never even seen one. Is there anyone in the west suburbs of Chicago that can give a demo? I live near the Dukane plant, about 20 minutes away. I wonder if they could let me try one.

Thanks guys,

Tom

[This message has been edited by Tom Bley (edited 05-22-2001).]

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Tom:

AFAIK, the only difference is in the warrantee. Personally, I went with the JVC to save the money - the prices on the Dukane's seemed higher, probably to pay for the warantee. But, maybe it's worth it for you.

As far as a 16x9 screen, no, you won't see excessive light outside of the image area, but many people (including myself) put black masking there, anyway.

If you do go with D-ILA, you should probably get a scaler or HTPC. Most everyone does. If you don't want an HTPC, there are inexpensive scalers, such as the Crystal Image and the Quadscan, that would be well worth it.

- Dave

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
It may not be optimal, but a progressive DVD player without a scaler looks pretty good, too, and of course has the virtue of simplicity and low cost. HTPCs will give you a "perfect" image, but God, what a pain if you have a wife and young kids.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I agree that the HTPC is a pain for the wife & kids. I find a great setup is to use a HTPC and a standard DVD player. I use the HTPC because I am uptight about picture quality and my wife uses the DVD player because in her words "You're too picky - this picture isn't too bad." When I asked her about the "artifacts" in the picture she made some comment about me being a geek!

-- Dieter

·
Registered
160 Posts
Tom,

Have you been in contact with that plant? Do they have a factory outlet "B" stock maybe at a significantly reduced price? I use an HTPC on a Toshiba TW56X81 and surf and compute from my Lazyboy with a wireless keyboard and mouse. I'm not going back to the little screen. TV gets boring switch to the computers input, long download switch to the TV's.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Quotes,

"but God, what a pain if you have a wife and young kids."

"I agree that the HTPC is a pain for the wife & kids."

Not really. If you have the Pronto and Dilard with your digital Pj, one single push of a button can have your wife watching a DVD or listening to a CD.

Chris

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Arpacian, no I haven't been in contact with Dukane in St. Charles. I'm really not ready to buy yet, I just wanted to find out if people using 16x9 screens can set up a scaler to use only that portion of the D-ILA's pixels and maybe see if anyone around me had a D-ILA I could checkout. My current set up is here at www15.brinkster.com/tbley1

Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.