AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been waiting impatiently for my opportunity to delve into the world of DILA with the introduction of the new G3010Z projector from JVC. Originally scheduled for October rollout, it was "delayed" till January or February to "shrink the footprint and reduce weight" as it is a portable design.

Now I am hearing that the 3010 may not be released at all. No reason given and no possible replacement or timeframe for the next generation of DILA chips.

Anybody else heard anything about this? I would be interested in any comment from our resident JVC insider.

Bryan

------------------

When in doubt, the answer is 42.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Hi Bryan,

Where did you hear that it was cancelled?

·
Registered
383 Posts
One person in the know that I spoke with, suggested that due to the continued delay of the G3010z, JVC may temporarily restart production of the G11.

Does anyone else think this might be a possibility?

·
Registered
7,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I talked to a local dealer here in St. Louis and also talked to someone at "The Projector Place" in Marion IL. Both told me there is no current release date and one offered to call his JVC rep.

He called me back an hour later and told me that the rep said that the 3010 may not be released at all.

I am really bummed about this as I thought the 3010 was possibly a viable option into the DILA world without having to pay over $1k per 1000 hours of bulb life as with the Xenon series projectors.

I am going to try to investigate further. Will post any other information I get regarding the 3010 or any future DILA products. However, with the DFAST issue getting a lot hotter now, I am not at all sure I want to support JVC anyway.

------------------

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
The G11 is not going back into production as had been rumored. JVC is moving forward with the G3010Z replacement.

However, JVC Japan seems to be having some not-minor problems with the 3010Z with regards to contrast.

When the G3010Z does release, it will probably not be the home theater dynamo that the G10, G11 & G15 are today. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

I'm afraid that JVC is watching the home-theater boat sail right past them and they didn't even realize how close it was.

------------------

Mark Hunter

[This message has been edited by milori (edited 01-15-2001).]

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Bryan,

No offense but usually when a salesperson can't come up with an answer they'll give you one that best suits them - as in:

"Sorry sir, looks like they won't be releasing that product. Now, how would like to demo a _______ instead?"

I will wait for official word from Jim on this one.

-Mr. Wigggles

------------------

The Mothership is now boarding.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
It is interesting timing, isn't it?

------------------

STOP HD-DIVX (DFAST and DVI/HDCP)

Please visit www.rettsyndrome.org

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Nick,

AFAIK, there is no cancellation. Just continued delays.

The contrast right now is about at the Sony 10HT level, and they can't seem to get it higher. With an MSRP at 2x the Sony, without the cool 16:9 ratio, it's hardly the HT killer we were all hoping for.

However, on the other side of the coin, it's not released yet, either. They may just continue to work on this issue until the thing is as great as they would like it to be before releasing.

------------------
Save the hardware!

Do not purchase CPRM and HDCP devices from Intel, IBM, Matsushita, JVC and Toshiba.

·
Registered
7,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I know all about the bait and switch. The thing that made me believe was that NEITHER guy tried to sell me anything else. They have both had many inquiries about the 3010.

As for the MSRP, what have you heard? I am not aware that any official announcement has been made for the 3010. The only prices I have seen are $7995 and $8995. Neither is anywhere near 2x the 10HT price.

------------------

·
Registered
634 Posts
As I heard it, their choice of a single PBS (made, I assume, to keep costs down) involved design compromises, especially contrast ratio. They probably thought they could come up with some fairly cheap/easy way to get around it. For anyone who has worked on an engineering team trying to "fix" a spec problem, this scenario should evoke some sympathy. There is a near universal tendency to "band-aid" the problem rather than take a huge step backward and make a fundamental change. I'm making a big guess here, bit I'll bet that there are camps in JVC arguing whether to step back and do a big redesign or keep plugging away trying to "fix" the current design.

------------------

Steve

·
Registered
774 Posts
Three official comments regarding the 3010Z:

1. The product development has not been cancelled.

2. The product is not ready to ship yet.

3. The delay has absolutely nothing to do with DFAST.

------------------

Tom Stites

Director, Business Development

Digital Systems Division

JVC Professional Products

"My opinions do not necessarily reflect..."

·
Registered
7,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks to Tom for an official position. Glad to have you here. Any further information as to possible release dates? Also, any other information as to the newer DILA chips? My understanding was that 3 other versions (including a 16:9 chip) were to be available this year with a 1920 x 1080 chip due out in the spring of 2002. Are these still on track or is all being held up till the contrast issue is resolved with the 3010Z?

I too wish for a UHP version of the G15. That would truly be the best of all possible solutions. While I am sure that would not be a trivial matter, I would think it would not be any more difficult than trying to resolve the 3010Z issues appear to be. Engineering and tooling would be minimal. Heck, JVC could even offer it as an option and make money on the retrofits!

I used to sell JVC product. I have long been a fan of JVC video products and still own 3 of their direct view products. It never ceases to amaze me that a company that engineers cutting edge technology has so little savvy when it comes to cornering a market.

Off my box now. Thanks again for the info Tom.

Bryan

------------------

·
Registered
835 Posts
Thanks Tom,

For all of our harping at our long-suffering JVC reps we should all know that JVC is not really targeting the FP home theater market at this time. The 3010Z is not, and was never meant to be, an HT projector. There is no reason to delay its introduction to add a "feature" that its customers could care less about and won't pay more for.

Regards,

Kam Fung

·
Registered
774 Posts
The delay in the 3010Z has nothing to do with the chips themselves, they are identical to the chips used in the other products...it's the optical design that is being implemented to reduce size and cost.

The other chips that were mentioned are on target. Our QXGA based product is actually a little ahead of schedule but, don't get all excited about it though, it's 7000 lumens and priced around $200K.

Rest assured, you'll see us in the FPTV market although probably not at the price point you'll like...this is not low priced single chip DLP technology and will be priced accordingly. D-ILA technology does not lend itself to the the middle or low end of the market. Our place is at the higher end but with a much higher performance/price ratio than 3-Chip DLP will likely ever achieve.

------------------

Tom Stites

Digital Systems Division

·
Registered
7,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks again for the info Tom. Glad to hear the development of the other chips are on target. I am still curious though as initial reports on the 3010 listed it as a 3 chip design. Am I correct in reading your reply that it is now to be a single chip? That is certainly a different animal.

Sorry to hear that the higher res chips will only be for professional use. $200K is just a buck or two above most of our budgets!

Has there been any though given to the idea of a UHP version of the existing designs? That seems to be the obvious first thought to most people I talk to about the whole situation.

As for the dealer, he is actually in St. Charles and does have DILA on hand (Dukane 9015). While he is more of a AV dealer, they are expanding into HT and were hoping for the 3010 to bring the entry price of DILA down a bit.

------------------

·
Registered
7,997 Posts
Bryan,

Which retailer did you talk to ? Does he have a d-ila on display ?

BTW, for any STL people reading this, in hi-fi fofum at bigbend and 40, apparently they have the panasonic dlp RPTV. I still need to check that out.

------------------
www.musicalnirvana.com

Presenting the genius of Indian Classical Music

·
Registered
774 Posts
Bryan,

The 3010Z is a 3-chip design, what has changed is that it will employ a single polarizing beam splitter (PBS) system rather than the 3 PBS system employed in the current models. Both systems use 3 chips but the prism/optical assembly is integrated into a single block with the 1PBS system. The single PBS is much more compact and much less expensive to produce however, it is not likely that it will ever have the optical performance of the 3PBS systems. With continued effort and some design trade offs, performance suitable for HT might be achieved...this is being explored.

I will try and come up with a diagram that will illustrate this and get it on my website.

Regards,

------------------

Tom Stites

Digital Systems Division

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Maybe they're trying to add in a Panamorph.

------------------

Ken Elliott

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
I find this thread to be a real bummer.

Maybe the JVC'rs are bummed also, because I find the tone of the posts to be less than enthusiastic.

I've been looking forward to the G3010z since Infocomm. Even though criticized for lack of contrast, the demo model compared favorably against the Sony 10HT.

Also, the additional engineering has gradually been pushing the MSRP up.

I want to believe that JVC is a trend-setting company with great engineering and ideas. However, the history of the G3010z and the recent D-VHS DVI/HDCP announcement has got me wondering.

------------------

Ken Elliott

[This message has been edited by kelliot (edited 01-16-2001).]

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.