AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

JVC HD-ILA - overscan in 4:3?

834 views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Jon SS 
#1 ·
I just hooked up my iScan HD to a JVC DILA tv and when I watch digital cable in 4:3 mode the picture is centred but on the right side there is a small black bar implying that the cable picture is slightly missing/off (i.e. there is a black bar where I would expect to see some tv programming), this is not the 2 grey/back bars at the side - not sure if I have explaned this properly.

When I open the onscreen guide it seems to be slightly shifted to the right and on the left I can see some of the TV programming.

Is this overscan?

I am watching Rogers Digital Cable in Toronto.

Is this right?

Thanks guys.

#3 ·
I will try to take a picture and upload it as it is very hard to explain.

#5 ·
I have been doing more research and I think that you are right, the iScan is underscanning.

#6 ·
Here is one picture which shows the onscreen guide. The guide extends to the right past the picture and does not extend to the left (you can see some programming).

I forgot to mention that the pillar boxing is grey (see next picture) but the iScan turns it black after a while and the onscreen menu extends upto the the pillar boxing but the actual 4:3 programming has a black bar on the right - please see the picture in my next posting.

Thanks

#7 ·
This picture shows the pillar boxing (2 grey sides) and on the right of the program there is a black line (I have had this on my Sony CRT when playing PS2).

Any thoughts? Is is just a matter of overscanning?

Thanks

#8 ·
Have you contacted Iscan?

#9 ·
I have just sent DVDO an email.

#10 ·
Hey Jon:

Any update?

#11 ·
This is the email I got from tech support:

" When you are watching 4:3 content, the black line is probably the edge of the video signal that is visible. You can try to use the iScan’s borders to mask this area. You can also change the color of the bars with the border level feature. If the image is not centered, you can use the H-Shift parameter in the format menu by pressing the right arrow as far as the menu goes. The menu of the cable box probably goes all the way across because the cable box is set for 16:9 output. "

I guess it is just what the cable company/box is putting out.

#12 ·
Thank you for the update!

I just ordered an HD+ SDI & Denon 3910 SDI and was interested...

Cheers!

#14 ·
I connected the iScan directly to the JVC when the TV arrived so I haven't done a comparison. Will probably try later, but have not had any time (plus it is a pain in my system to change wires around etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.