AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
JVC HD-P70R2U 70" HD-ILA Television FULL 1080P (1920x1080) Resolution

FEATURES

With the recent success of our 1920 x 1080p, 3-chip D-ILA 61 and 70 Widescreen Rear Projection televisions based on JVC's advanced DILA technology, JVC is pleased to introduce two new models with Full HD 1080p. Designed to provide the ultimate HD viewing experience, the HD-P61R2U and the HD-P70R2U represent the best in rear projection display technology and include our exclusive 18 month on-site warranty.

* Full HD 1080p (1920 x 1080) Resolution

* Optical Color Filtering to produce D65 Color Temperature

* 3-Chip D-ILA for high brightness and high contrast picture

* RS232C control available via D-Sub 9-Pin terminal

* Slim compact design with anti-glare screen

* Dual HDMI inputs with HDCP for digital interfacing

* Analog 15pin RGB D-sub

* Dynamic iris

* Gold plated connections

* Built in ATSC Tuner and Cable Card slot

* 18 Month on-site warranty

SPECIFICATIONS

-Reception Format - NTSC, BTSC System (Multi-Channel Sound) ATSC Terrestrial, Digital Cable

-Reception Range - VHF 2 to 13, UHF 14 to 69 CATV 135 Sub, Mid, Super, Hyper and Ultra bands (191 channel frequency synthesizer system) *Reception of channel A-5 ("95" of the TV set's on-screen cable channel numbers) is not recommended for your TV set.

-Power Source - AC 120V, 60 Hz, Power Consumption - 220W

-Projection Source - 110W High-Pressure Mercury Lamp

-Screen Size - 70 inch measured diagonally, 16:9 ratio

-Speakers - 10 cm round X 2

-Audio Output - Full Range - 10W + 10W

-Antenna Terminal (VHF/UHF, ATSC/DIGITAL CABLE IN) - 75 ohms (VHF/UHF)(F-type connector)

-External Input Jacks - Video: 1 Vp-p, 75 ohms Audio: 500mVrms (-4dBs) high impedance

-Component Input Jack - Y: 1 Vp-p positive, 75 ohms (negative sync provided) Pb/Pr: 0.7 Vp-p 75 ohms

-S-Video Input Jacks - Y: 1 Vp-p positive, 75 ohms (negative sync provided) C: 0.286 Vp-p (burst signal), 75 ohms

-Optical Output Digital Audio - Digital Out (optical) x 1

-i.LINK In/Out Jack - TS IN/OUT (4-pin, S400) x 2 IEEE1394 compliant DTCP digital copy protection compatible

-AV CompuLink III Jack - 3.5 mm mini jack x 1 -PC Input Jack - Analog RGB D-SUB (15 pin) x 1, RS-232C (9 pin) x 1 *PC signal is available: compatible with VGA or XGA

-Digital-In - HDMI jack x 2 Note: The Digital-In terminal is not compatible with picture signals of a personal computer

-Readable Cards - SD Card, MMC, CompactFlash Card, Removable Microdrive Hard Disk for JVC Digital Media Camera "Everio" (a type of CF card), Memory Stick, xD-Picture Card

·
Registered
729 Posts
Interesting. When they say "slim", do the mean like the 58" due this month, and the 65" due in March? How do the new sets compare to the current 70"? The D65 color filtering looks new. Does it add wire grid polarizers? The numbering system is very different, and suggests a significant change, but the specs are nothing new. More questions than answers at this point. I went to the JVC site, and there is no mention of this product - where did you see this?

·
Registered
13,531 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin McCarthy /forum/post/0

Interesting. When they say "slim", do the mean like the 58" due this month, and the 65" due in March?

The 61" and 70" models are 18.4" and 20.5" deep, respectively, so they are not "slim" profile displays like the upcoming 58" and 65" consumer models with depths of 10.7" to 11.6". The dimensions on the older JVC HD-P70R1U and new JVC HD-P70R2U are identical.

On the spec sheets themselves, I don't see many improvements between the 2005-2006 JVC HD-P70R1U and 2007 JVC HD-P70R2U:

HD-P70R1U
HD-P70R2U

In terms of pricing, the slim consumer 58" HD-58S998 and 65" HD-65S998 list at $3299 and $4199, while the 61" HD-P61R2U and 70" HD-P70R2U list at $3199 and $4999. With the pro series, you are also paying for a CableCard tuner, which the consumer models lack.

·
Registered
13,531 Posts

Quote:
I thought the definition of Microdisplay refers to it being slimmer then a traditional flat display? Does the "slim' description refer to it being like a flat panel?

Microdisplay refers to the display silicon inside the TV, I believe.

The "slim" in the product description probably refers to the bezel, which looks to be 0.5" or less. The dimensions on the older JVC HD-P70R1U and new JVC HD-P70R2U are identical.

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
According to JVC, the primary difference between the R1U and new R2U is:

Quote:
The R2U is true 1080p throughout. The R1U upconverted from 1080i to 1080p, but it did display 1080p.

The R2U does not accept 1080p24. Like most other consumer rear projection displays, it only accepts 1080p60.

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Is AVS going to do another PowerBuy for the HD-P70R2U

just like they did a little over a year ago for the HD-P70R1U?

If so, sign me up.

I bought one of the HD-P70R1U's in the last PowerBuy,

and 1080p throughput is enough to get me on board for a new one.

For anyone that thinks the purchase of a second 70" display is

a textbook example of having "too much money, or too little brains",

I assure you it's not the former

·
Registered
13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronBits /forum/post/0

I'm ready to purchase an HD-P70R2U right now.

When are they going to be available, and will there be a PowerBuy?

I don't know about a PowerBuy, but here are your available options today:
http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...VC+HD%2dP70R2U

Please note: some are asking $4999... Outrageous! I wouldn't pay more than $2900 for one. If you wait a few months, I bet you can find one for a lot less!!

Also, you may wish to check out this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...page=116&pp=30 and this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=802978

The one we're on: "JVC HD-P70R2U coming soon" appears to be dead as you and I are the first postings in over a month.

I have a JVC HD-P70R1U and I'm very happy with it, except for the lack of HDMI 1080p capability.

BTW: You do know that if you buy a 1080p display, you'll have to have at the very least, an upconverting DVD player to get decent PQ from your standard def DVD's, right???

-Fronk!

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
One dumb question I have, what is ment by "Full" HD ?

Comment: I wonder if JVC fixed the pain in the ass remote issue that wont allow one to go to the input wanted instead of having to go thru ALL the inputs and have to wait for each input to cycle.

Im still thinking about buying a FH70, would this new 70 incher be that much of a better choice ?

Thanks in advance

Davyo

·
Registered
7,009 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo /forum/post/0

One dumb question I have, what is ment by "Full" HD ?

Comment: I wonder if JVC fixed the pain in the ass remote issue that wont allow one to go to the input wanted instead of having to go thru ALL the inputs and have to wait for each input to cycle.

Im still thinking about buying a FH70, would this new 70 incher be that much of a better choice ?

Thanks in advance

Davyo

It's not really clear the pro model is really any better than the FH consumer model. It appears the new 2nd generation Pro models just caught up with the features of the FH consumer model that came out in August 2006. As for direct access to the inputs, you can use a universal remote (such as the low cost One-for-All learning remotes) which do support direct access to the JVC inputs (more or less). Finally "full HD" gernerally means the display has a native (i.e, actual) resolution of 1920 pixel horizontal by 1080 pixels vertical. Some displays will accept a 1080i or 1080p input then scale them to a lower resolution to match the native resolution of the display (such as 768 x 1024 pixels used on most 42" plasma TVs).

·
Registered
347 Posts
Are these available yet? I just had one of my local vendors check pricing for me and JVC came back saying they are not available at this time. Perhaps they are not even released?

Are we doing a powerbuy on the 61 or 70" model?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.