AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw a demo of the JVC HD250 in a professional installation. With Blu-Ray material it was absolutely stunning. However, I played a standard definition DVD and there were very obvious jagged edges on any images with diagonal lines, and with all text (credits). Playing the same DVD in the JVC HD1 (older model but with the same DILA technology) and the Panasonic AE4000 showed no such jaggies.

I was quite disappointed because the HD playback of the HD250 was so incredible. BTW, the Blu-Ray player was a high end player that was upconverting the DVD signal automatically so I don't think it was the Blu-Ray player. The salesman suggested that JVC may have optimized the HD 250 for HD playback, at the expense of SD playback. Has anyone who has the HD250 noticed the same issue with DVD playback? I still do watch quite a few standard definition DVD's so this would be a deal breaker for me. Thanks.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Same DVD disc in same player?

It's not the disc at fault. The BD player may be quasi defective. Very likely the player has a bad scaler. To work around that, select 480i or 480p and let the scaler in the projector provide upconversion.

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
If the player is upscaling as you suggest, then I don't think you can blame the HD250 for the jaggies. Although I use a DVDO Edge for my switching, vertical stretch and upscaling, it's only that it is slightly better than my JVC HD350 for upscaling and is more convienient in my setup. If my DVD player gets changed to upscaling by accident I soon notice the difference, even compared to the HD350 (same as the HD250), hence why I point my finger at the player. Incorrectly set sharpness and detail enhance (both should be set to '0' IMHO) can excasebate any issues and the HD250 has separate memories based on input resolution for many settings.

I still watch DVDs on my setup, though I do find it better to watch them before watching a BluRay if I'm having a 'double bill' evening. Of course DVD won't look good after viewing BluRay, but in isolation I think it can look quite acceptable.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm looking at this issue too. I think the 480p suggestion may be the key.

EDIT: Yeah, I think things look better when you do 480p. I assume that pushes the upscaling/upconverting into the projector. It also gets you access to the Noise Reduction in the "Picture: Advanced" section. RNR, MNR, BNR, and CTI. I'm doing moderate RNR and MNR, and then have CTI on high. Looks pretty good.

Other note: if you locked into "HDMI: Enhanced" or "HDMI: Standard", that can easily push you into a different set of Contrast/Brightness/Aperature ranges. So if you are on Auto, or if you have those set manually, that's the first thing to check.

EDIT2: I think I have to force settings in at least 3 locations. On the Samsung BD/DVD player I have to 1) force 480p 2) disable Deep Color, and then on the the JVC HD250, 3) adjust brightness and gamma. Perhaps the good advice then, is to do like others suggested in the discussion about "standard v. enhanced", i.e. to always force "HDMI: Standard", even when watching Blu-Rays. Alternatively, if you have a Logitech Harmony, or some other approach, you can probably get to a place where you can jump between settings without too much trouble. At a minimum though, if you have a Samsung BD/DVD player, it looks like you have to force 480p and disable Deep Color to get going in the right direction.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had the dealer retest the HD250 with DVD's and there was no more stairstepping/jagged edges. He thinks that it had been setup through a cable box last time I demo'ed it and that was what caused the stairstepping. So, no problem with the HD250.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts