AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
JVC HD350 vs BenQ W6000

Sorry for a similar thread but I finally narrowed it down with prices and factors.

Both of these can be had for nearly the same price but the remaining factors are ambient light, usage, and warranty/reliability.

JVC HD350

- out of box, still 2 year warranty w/600 hours, has remote

- best buy 2 year warranty to cover bulb replacement

BenQ W6000

- refurbished with only ONE year warranty

- no extended warranty available through BenQ (I am wary of Warrentech and Mack extended warranties)

- my last BenQ, the PE7700, had three lamp failures/firmware issues and finally dead fans so I'm hesitant.

I watch sports 60% and TV/movies 40% (The lion's share of sports watched is American football so I changed my viewing percentages when I thought of how football season is only about six months.) in an off white living room with some ambient light during the day on a Da-Lite High Power 118 inch screen. Direct sunlight can be shielded. Rear shelf mounted at about 14.5 feet at a height of 39" inches. (Not the best setup that's what I have to work with. )

Thanks for your input. It's greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
13,740 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrteacher /forum/post/20775035

JVC HD350 vs BenQ W6000

Sorry for a similar thread but I finally narrowed it down with prices and factors.

Both of these can be had for nearly the same price but the remaining factors are ambient light, usage, and warranty/reliability.

JVC HD350

- out of box, still 2 year warranty w/600 hours, has remote

- best buy 2 year warranty to cover bulb replacement

BenQ W6000

- refurbished with only ONE year warranty

- no extended warranty available through BenQ (I am wary of Warrentech and Mack extended warranties)

- my last BenQ, the PE7700, had three lamp failures/firmware issues and finally dead fans so I'm hesitant.

I watch sports 60% and TV/movies 40% (The lion's share of sports watched is American football so I changed my viewing percentages when I thought of how football season is only about six months.) in an off white living room with some ambient light during the day on a Da-Lite High Power 118 inch screen. Direct sunlight can be shielded. Rear shelf mounted at about 14.5 feet at a height of 39" inches. (Not the best setup that's what I have to work with. )

Thanks for your input. It's greatly appreciated.

That's a tough decision if you prefer sports w/ the ambient light.

If you have the high power screen, the JVC should work well and the black levels during night viewing would be a noticeable difference vs the BenQ. The BenQ is going to be brighter, but that's about it. I have the BenQ 890 (big brother to the W6000) in my office and we had to send the refurb back twice. One had a dead DLP panel and the 2nd one had fans that were shot causing thermal shutdown.

I'd lean toward the JVC just on the better warranty.

·
Registered
711 Posts
What Zombie said. You have the High Power screen so you should have enough brightness with the JVC even though the Benq is brighter. For me the warranty would be the deciding factor.

·
Banned
9,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahard
What Zombie said. You have the High Power screen so you should have enough brightness with the JVC even though the Benq is brighter. For me the warranty would be the deciding factor.
Same here.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrteacher
You pose a hard decision as HD sports will look its best on a DLP and movies will look better on a JVC LCOS. I have a JVC RS40 and think that HD sports look too soft on it and even prefer watching it on a 720p DLP vs. the JVC. With ambient light during the day and your screen size being 118(even though it is high power) I am going to have to say for your preferences and lighting situation I would go with the Benq. Of course not having a warranty isn't good. I would buy a refurbished Benq W6000 from the Benq store so you will have a 1 year warranty.

Mike

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I agree, if sports is your thing, then the BenQ would probably please you more!

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
I love football too and can live w/ LCoS pj's (JVC and Sony) during winter afternoon w/ my da-lite HP 2.8g 106. Might not be as sharp as my old Mitsu hc3800 but when it comes to watching movies, the lack of contrast is something that I cannot live w/o.

I found my Sony HW15 plenty bright when I watched the FIFA world cup soccer earlier, as well as my earlier RS2.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I went from a W5000 to the HD250. There are differences, but I've got no regrets. I still quite like the look of DLP; the sharpness and brightness were always great. I notice the "softness" from the LCoS, but it's not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I'm about 80% gaming 20% movies on the projector, and I wouldn't go back. Overall, the HD250 in my experience has thrown the best picture, based on my criteria and with my setup. It's in a basement with virtually no ambient light.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.