AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to get started on a home theater project and I am about 98% sure I want to get the JVC HD750. I also want to get a 2.35:1 screen and hopefully (eventually) a Carada masking system. This is a large outlay of cash for me and I am trying to save money where I can. I was curious if instead of a lens I could use the Zoom and focus on the JVC via programmed macros with my RTI remote and processor.

I think that within the remote program I can set a button for 2.35:1 that sets a flag and zooms and focuses the projector with a predetermined number of remote steps. Then I could use a similar process for 16:9 by checking if this flag is up and reversing out or not, etc. Would this provide an equally enjoyable picture as a high dollar lens? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I've experimented with this very idea and it didn't work. The zoom and shift commands from the remote are not precise enough and you can't get consistent repeatability. For example, I could point the remote and press the zoom button 8 times and each attempt would yield a different amount of zoom. Perhaps this issue could be overcome with RS232 control, but I don't have the means to try that out.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
what if you use an external scaler or one from an avr such as the anthem d2. would it be possible to accomplish the saved settings this way via macros?

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
I'm going to try controlling my RS2 with RS232 to see if zoom and focus is repeatable. I've mounted the projector centered on the screen vertically so I don't have to shift the image. That particular model does not have motorized shift.

I'll run the cable soon, and report my finding here.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew /forum/post/17052558

I'm going to try controlling my RS2 with RS232 to see if zoom and focus is repeatable. I've mounted the projector centered on the screen vertically so I don't have to shift the image. That particular model does not have motorized shift.

I'll run the cable soon, and report my finding here.

Very cool. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
I have done this with both RS232 and IR....it doesn't work reliably unfortunately. On occassion they'll stop at the right place (zoom moreso than focus), but I think if you were concerned with the best possible image, it would not be acceptable to you.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Jason, did you try out lens shift?

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
From an automation standpoint? Yes. I would say it is a tad more reliable, but not much. The problem is that the JVC's have a dead point from the time you emit the command to the point the motor ramps up. Moreover, that ramp up time varies ever so slightly. Again, it generally gets you to the right spot, but as a purist I could never get it reliable and found I would always have to tweak it anyways.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
YUP... sounds like the same issues I had when trying it via IR. Thanks for confirming.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts