AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you had the money to put on either one of these, which would you pick? I am a former CRT owner and have been really intrigued by the LED technology. I'd love to have a Mico50, but the JVC and possibly the Runco are closer to the range I want to look at.

Clay

·
Registered
23,131 Posts
Having seen neither

I'd get the Runco most likely. I've got a Planar 8150 and love it (DLP fan here), and the Q750 sounds like it's just plain better in most every way.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Well they are in different price classes....the JVC is quite a bit less money. But, the first question is how will this be used? In other words...dedicated light controlled room or no? Also, what size screen?

·
Registered
23,131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Turk /forum/post/18228335

Well they are in different price classes....the JVC is quite a bit less money.

You've crushed my naive hope that the Runco wasn't as much as it is. But on the plus side means there's even less reason for me to worry about it

Just curious Jason, would you pay a premium for LED based on PQ (no need to get into how much, I'm sure that would derail the thread nicely), assuming it worked optimally in your room? It seemed like you and Alan and most who have seen the "good" LED machines have been quite taken with them.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolboyclay /forum/post/18227662

If you had the money to put on either one of these, which would you pick? I am a former CRT owner and have been really intrigued by the LED technology. I'd love to have a Mico50, but the JVC and possibly the Runco are closer to the range I want to look at.

Clay

Call Runco to get a list of dealers in your area and call the dealers to ask if they have the Runco LED on demo or can put it on demo. I talked to someone at Runco less than an hour ago and got the names of three dealers, two of which I was able to reach already. Those two can both demo the projector.

Price-wise, the Runco may be a lot closer to the MICO50 street price than to the JVC street price and more than you want to spend, but SIM2 has announced it will be coming out with some less expensive LED projectors. Personally, I'd like to buy a JVC RS LED projector.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Do you guys think JVC will be releasing a LED projector at CEDIA this year?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Turk /forum/post/18228335

Well they are in different price classes....the JVC is quite a bit less money. But, the first question is how will this be used? In other words...dedicated light controlled room or no? Also, what size screen?

If my numbers are correct, say 8k JVC, 15k Runco, 20k Mico 50 street pricing. Then the Mico being what I want, and can not really justify cash wise, that leaves Runco and JVC within reach.

My room is absolutely Pitch Black when we watch the PJ.

My Screen currently is 130" diagonal 16:9, but can be anything between 108" to 130" diagonal. It is unity gain white, but can also be changed up or down gain wise.

Clay

PS does AVS handle Runco?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrd /forum/post/18230028

Call Runco to get a list of dealers in your area and call the dealers to ask if they have the Runco LED on demo or can put it on demo. I talked to someone at Runco less than an hour ago and got the names of three dealers, two of which I was able to reach already. Those two can both demo the projector.

Price-wise, the Runco may be a lot closer to the MICO50 street price than to the JVC street price and more than you want to spend, but SIM2 has announced it will be coming out with some less expensive LED projectors. Personally, I'd like to buy a JVC RS LED projector.

I'm familiar with the local dealers. I can view both of them any time I want, but not side by side. I was hoping someone here would have an opinion as to how much difference there was in these two PJs based on experience.

I am coming from CRT, and cheap digital loaner. So I used to have a smaller EXCELLENT picture, and ow a BIG BRIGHT crappy picture(although a cool size).

Clay

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 /forum/post/18229843

You've crushed my naive hope that the Runco wasn't as much as it is. But on the plus side means there's even less reason for me to worry about it

Just curious Jason, would you pay a premium for LED based on PQ (no need to get into how much, I'm sure that would derail the thread nicely), assuming it worked optimally in your room? It seemed like you and Alan and most who have seen the "good" LED machines have been quite taken with them.

Alan said "Watch out CRT owners" speaking about the Mico 50, and he had a decked out Marquee Ultra!

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rto /forum/post/18231338

A totally different league at that vector. You could purchase an entire audio suite with the difference.

So you've seen them both then?

Also, I don't need any audio gear. Yet

·
Registered
3,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolboyclay /forum/post/18231366

So you've seen them both then?

Also, I don't need any audio gear. Yet

I haven't seen either of them. A $15K projector with perceptibly superior performance makes perfect sense if the rest of your electronics and HT are in balance with that kind of expenditure, but perhaps not if your other system/environmental elements aren't up to even a roughly equivalent qualitative level, IMO.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolboyclay /forum/post/18231212

Yes they do. I have a Runco LS-5 hanging from my ceiling that was purchased here 3 weeks ago.

Contact Jason Turk here at AVS(post #3 of this thread) for help with your situation. He likely has more first hand experience with different projectors than anyone here and can answer your questions.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rto /forum/post/18231433

I haven't seen either of them. A $15K projector with perceptibly superior performance makes perfect sense if the rest of your electronics and HT are in balance with that kind of expenditure, but perhaps not if your other system/environmental elements aren't up to even a roughly equivalent qualitative level, IMO.

Well see, that's the issue, I have no idea what you just said.

My sound system is fine, My room was specifically built for Sound and video as a true home theater.

I however need a new projector, and what I am curious about is, if the extra money makes a really big difference in PQ based on experienced viewers of both pieces of equipment.

Clay

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Well your the only one who can make that judgement. I might not think the $8500 price difference between the RS35 and Runco is worth it but RTO might think it is depending on his expectations. You really need to go evaluate these projectors yourself. Everyone has there opinions..

·
Registered
1,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolboyclay /forum/post/18231212

If my numbers are correct, say 8k JVC, 15k Runco, 20k Mico 50 street pricing. Then the Mico being what I want, and can not really justify cash wise, that leaves Runco and JVC within reach.

My room is absolutely Pitch Black when we watch the PJ.

My Screen currently is 130" diagonal 16:9, but can be anything between 108" to 130" diagonal. It is unity gain white, but can also be changed up or down gain wise.

Clay

Since you are interested in the MICO50, but concerned over how much more you believe the price is over the Runco, the first thing to do is to get accurate and more "user-friendly" street prices on the MICO50. The MSRP is 22K, by the way. It used to be 20K. Call AV Science for a quote, for one.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
This quote is from the Greg Rogers JVC DLA-RS35 Review thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss Deering /forum/post/0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuttle

Bob,

Any chance you have compared the JVC RS35 with the Runco Q750? What are your thoughts with regards to Bluray, PS3 and DirecTv in a completely light controlled room? Thanks!

JT

While I'm not Bob my limited experience with the Runco suggests that its overall performance is slightly lower than the Planar. It is about the same sharpness, or a tad lower, but its contrast performance isn't quite as refined. Sure it has an infinite mode, but the more aggressive modes show obvious pumping and clipping artifacts. It just has the LED thing going for it and the benefits of that system (no dimming, constant calibration). But then I haven't spent a lot of time looking at one.

Contributing Writer

Home Theater Magazine

"If it isn't in HD, I'm not buying it"

The last couple of pages make for some interesting reading...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1225788&page=7

·
Registered
198 Posts
I wonder how keen are local Runco dealers on installing Runco equipment purchased via out-of-state dealers.

Or are they going to give me the you-don't-go-to-a-restaurant-with-your-own-steak line

I've seen the Q-750d in action several times now.

Very impessive indeed.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolboyclay /forum/post/18231509

Well see, that's the issue, I have no idea what you just said.

My sound system is fine, My room was specifically built for Sound and video as a true home theater.

I however need a new projector, and what I am curious about is, if the extra money makes a really big difference in PQ based on experienced viewers of both pieces of equipment.

Clay

My position is quite simple, really. I personally don't believe it makes sense to purchase a $15k projector, if you're using a Bose HTIB system for sound, any more than it would make sense to shell out $10K for a turntable to play through such a relatively modest audio chain. YMMV, but only you can determine whether or not whatever performance, aesthetic, build-quality, etc. advantages the Runco might offer over the RS35 are worth the premium required to get one into your HT.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I think there will be a lot more LED options to choose from after CEDIA in september. PoolBoyClay if your not planning to buy one of these projectors in the next couple months then you should wait and see whats going to come out at CEDIA.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 /forum/post/18229843

Well it depends on the dealer ultimately, but regardless we are talking a $15k MSRP vs. $10k MSRP, so there is a good sized difference.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts