Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Worst case has happened! I purchased a JVC 30k from J&R through a friend in the US who shipped it to me in Switzerland. My friend did not open the unit as it was factory sealed. The unit arrived today and does not work!

The unit powers up, but does not play any tapes. I can insert them, but as soon as they should start to play, the unit powers down to standby or even ejects the tape back again. I tried some S-VHS tapes with HD recordings and the HD-Demo tape that came with the unit.

When opening the box (factory sealed?) I already noticed two heavy scratches on the cover. Since that did not bother me too much, I tried the unit anyway... but, nothing. The remote control does not work at all, or at least does not communicate with the main unit. I was able to light the JOG button light, so I assume the remote would be working, but neither PLAY nor POWER commands were accepted. (Yes, I set the switch to VCR) I only could operate the JVC through its front panel, and it always powered off when asked to play a tape.

I have no antenna connected since we don't have HD signal feed in Europe. I wanted to use it for D-Theater and HD tape playback only. I had the optical digital out and component video output connected.

Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong? Anyone had the same experience? Is there a "reset" function? How do I perform a "reset" (with a non working remote)? I can not enter the MENU/SETUP of the unit. OSD is working, but not of much help. I can skip channels only... and there are no channels over here ;)

Please advise, thank you.

Otherwise I am just going to return it tomorrow morning.

Certified D

·
Registered
654 Posts
Could it be because the clock has not been set? Here in the US we have TV stations that transmit the clock data, and manuals tell us to plugh the VCR into the power line mains and wait until the clock has been set. Of course, this would not happen where you are if you do not have a compatible data stream transmitted by your TV stations. Have you contacted JVC tech support? If the problem is caused by the clock setup, they should be able to give you instructions on how to set upt the clock manually! |Good luck to you, D.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by HiDefGuy
Dumb question, but the power auto-switches....? What is the mains power rating in Switzerland?
US is 110v, Switzerland is 220v. Check out the sticker at the back to see if it has multi voltage or needs a transformer, which could be one reason for troubles.

Rob

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I believe the problem is with power. A simple transformer of 220->110 *will not do* The deck requires 60Hz to operate. I believe it uses the 60Hz, among other things to synchronize the motor and maybe even to synchronize the picture whether ATSC or NTSC to 60 frames/sec.

The power in Europe is 50Hz, (hence why PAL is 50 frames a second)

You will need a specialized power converter that can convert 220V/50Hz to 110V/60Hz.

Leszek

·
Registered
833 Posts
Leszek,

i have several friends here in Germany (and all over Europe) who have the JVC 30k working with a common 220->110 converter (50hz). No problem.

Regards

Bjoern

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bjoern Roy
Leszek,

i have several friends here in Germany (and all over Europe) who have the JVC 30k working with a common 220->110 converter (50hz). No problem.

Regards

Bjoern
That's good news to potential buyers! However it's bad news for the original poster. This means that his unit is most likely broken and needs repairs.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Yup, probably bad news :(

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Personally I think it's a good idea that if you're sending something to Europe to first take it out of the box and test it to make sure it works. It's a lot easier and a lot less expensive to exchange it before it has started its transoceanic trip than after.

bb

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
50Hz or 60Hz makes no difference. All electronics made in a last 20 years run on DC inside. I do not think there is transformer that can change 50Hz to 60 HZ or vice versa or at least I have never seen one.

Certified D,

Do you have transformer hooked up to your VCR?.

If you do not I suggest you unplug your 30K immediately to make sure you do not do any more damage to the machine. Then get a transformer and try again. You may get lucky and not caused any serious damage to it.

30K has no HDTV tuner only NTSC. It will however still not work in Europe since PAL uses different frequencies.

CRT_Bob,

Actually US is 120V. It was increased many years ago.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, of course I did use a transformer 220-240V -> 120V. (I may be stupid, but not THAT stupid ;) )

I was also thinking about the clock setting causing the trouble, but then again, manual clock setting is performed through the SETUP MENU of the unit, and since the remote doesn't work either, there is no way I can manually set clock.

On the other hand... who designs a model that does not operate when the clock is not set?!? I don't care about the tuner, it's of no use in Europe anyway, but at least playback should work without any setup whatsoever.

Well, thanks for all your suggestions, I think I will return it. J&R has a 30 days exchange warranty. I hope I can return it fast enough to arrive in time...

Certified D

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
The clock does not need set for the unit to operate. I didn't set my clock for several days as I only have it connected to the PC.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Then my unit probably really does not operate as it should!

Damn, I'm gonna miss T2 on May 28... :D

Thanks,

Certified D

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Certified D,

I accidently loaded a tape in my machine with some paper stuck to the underside of the cassette, and it caused the symptoms you are having. Look in the cassette opening, or pull the lid off. It doesn't take much, just a piece of sticky-backed stuff in the wrong place will cause such trouble.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I opened the unit and didn't notice anything unusual. With some S-VHS tapes it seemed to not entirely load them and then throw them back out immediately. That might prove your theory.

On the other hand, other tapes loaded perfectly well but didn't play either. It shuts down every time it should play a tape. It starts the PLAY sequence, but then shuts down after 1 or 2 seconds. It seems as it did not have enough power to start the playback sequence.

One other strange thing is that when I connect main power, the units goes to standby, then turns on automatically and shows the channel number in the display, then goes to standby mode again. I guess that is not normal, regardless of all the other malfunctions.

I already packed the deck and started filling out the necessary papers, I don't want to do it all over again... I think it's useless, my unit is just not working. I opened it two or three times to check, but couldn't see anything. In order to not void warranty I didn't touch anything...

I am going to return it, but thanks anyway... or did your unit power up the same as mine... then I might think it over again...

Certified D

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Hi,

I think it is always safer to return that unit - when there is physical damage to the unit on the outside there probably was some mishandling and I wouldn't want this anyway plus you always have problems when things go wrong later.

Oliver Klohs

P.S: I have not yet set the clock on my 35000 and it works just fine, two 30000 I saw, too.

·
Registered
833 Posts
One last thought, what power is your transformer rated at? Since you said it seems like it goes down as if it didn't have enough power. Maybe you only have a 50W or 100W transformer and the unit needs a peak that is slightly more when it spindles up?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@Bjoern

I think the JVC deck's power supply said something about 50 or 55W power consumption. My transformer handles at least 400W or more, it's a huge thing. It can't be that...

Anyway, the JVC is now already on its way back... any further suggestions are only seconds late ;)

I just hope J&R's customer service is as helpful as they claim they are on their sheet included in the shipment...

Certified D

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
When I returned my jvc's with the old f/w, J&R far exceeded my expectations for returns. THis is why I purchased my 3 new ones from them.

dave

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, at least there is hope!

I also had 3 new ones purchased from them...

According to the S/N of my unit and the JVC support it didn't need a f/w upgrade... but it will need one when DTS will be supported from D-Theater tapes. Can't wait for that to happen...

At least I know the shipping procedure now and how to fill out all the paperwork in order to avoid paying taxes twice...

Always look at the bright side of life...tara.. tara tara tara! :D

Certified D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.