Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
JVC Introduces New D-VHS D-Theater

HM-DH40000 Digital HD VCR

On the heels of the introduction of the GR-HD1 (see Widescreen Review Issue 71, April, 2003), the first consumer high-definition (720p) camcorder, JVC Company of America has announced the May 2003 introduction of another D-VHS D-Theater Digital HD VCR, the model HM-DH40000. The HM-DH40000 (MSRP $999.95) and GR-HD1 (MSRP $3,499.95) are designed to complement any HD display device capable of displaying native 720p and 1080i images.

The new digital VCR features two four-pin, DTCP-compatible IEEE 1394 (FireWire®/ iLink®) input/output interfaces (one is a DV iLink input/output interface). These will facilitate recording in the HS mode up to 28.2 megabits per second (Mbps) of 720p and 1080i high-definition programming from HD cable set-top boxes, terrestrial ATSC set-box boxes, DTV displays with integrated DTV tuners, HD over-the-air set-top boxes, and HD satellite receivers that utilize the IEEE 1394 interface, maintaining all of their original quality. And from analog VCR sources digital recordings can be made in the STD, LS3, and LS5 modes via the built-in MPEG-2 TS (transport stream) encoder/decoder. The codec function enables D-VHS digital recording from NTSC analog sources as well as DV-MPEG-2 conversion recording from a connected MiniDV video camera.

While the expectation throughout the home theatre enthusiast community was that the next D-VHS VCRs would incorporate DTS® Digital Surround™ and DTS-ES™, I regret to report that JVC did not implement DTS in this model. This omission is quite amazing as three of the studios at the initial press unveiling in January 2002 of the HM-DH30000U stated that they would support DTS 96 kHz/24-bit soundtracks on their D-Theater titles as soon as JVC could facilitate the capability, and JVC executives themselves said DTS would be implemented “as soon as they complete work on their DTS encoder.“ Given the fact that every home theatre processor/controller and every DVD player incorporates DTS Digital Surround capability, serious enthusiasts who appreciate the audio improvement that DTS delivers will be disappointed with JVC. As with the previous HM-DH30000 a 5.1-channel Dolby® Digital/ two-channel linear PCM optical audio output is provided.

JVC’s New Pro-HD

D-VHS Professional System

At the National Association of Broadcasters (NAB) Show in early April in Las Vegas, JVC Professional Products Company announced a new affordable professional high-definition delivery system targeted at post-production, presentation, film, and HDTV facilities. JVC’s system is comprised of an HD MPEG-2 TS encoder, and a recording and playback D-VHS VCR.

Unlike consumer D-VHS systems, the professional Pro-HD system includes the provision to create password-protected, high-definition recordings that play back on Pro-HD D-VHS equipment.

Based on the HM-DH40000 consumer unit, the Pro-HD D-VHS VCR SR-VD400US ($1,400 MSRP) provides the ability to playback recordings in either the password-protected Pro-HD mode or regular D-VHS and D-Theater modes. Otherwise, the SR-VD400US shares the same capabilities of the HM-DH40000 and can be used to record and play back off-air and satellite HDTV broadcasts, using a DTV or DBS set-top box, or play back D-Theater-protected, prerecorded software.

For an exclusive report on these two new HD developments, please see Widescreen Review Issue 73, June 2003, which arrives at subscribers homes about mid-May and can be found on national newsstands on May 27.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
New D-VHS® D-Theater™ Releases

Universal Studios Home Video has announced the D-Theater releases of Being John Malkovich and K-Pax on April 22. The addition of two D-Theater titles brings Universal Studios Home Video HD D-VHS product list up to 10 titles.

The addition of Fox’s latest three titles--The Transporter, Courage Under Fire and Die Hard (see the D-VHS review section in WSR Issue 72, May 2003)--brings Fox’s D-VHS product list up to 17 titles.

Artisan Entertainment has 12 titles that are released or announced including First Blood, Glengarry Glen Ross, Standing In The Shadows Of Motown, which are to be released April 22.

All the D-VHS and D-Theatre titles are reviewed (as soon as we receive advanced releases) and are available for ordering at wwwDVHSMovieGuide.com.

Ship date is tentatively May 15 for the HM-DH40000.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Correction: Universal Studios Home Video has released "K-PAX" and "Being John Malkovich" in the D-Theater format.

Artisan Entertainment will release First Blood and "Standing In The Shadows Of Motown" on April 29, not April 22. "Standing In The Shadows Of Motown" is the third day-and-date release with DVD and VHS, following Fox's "Ice Age" and "The Transporter."

These titles and all the other D-VHS D-Theater titles can be pre-ordered or ordered at www.DVHSMovieGuide.com.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Yes, can someone highlight the differences between the new 40k and the 30k. I for one, did not see any differences in the feature list

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We have delineated the features of the HM-DH40000 in next issue. There is no DVI or provision for 1080p output. Video Technical Editor Greg Rogers will have a review of the HM-DH40000 in Issue 74, July 2003.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
its a huge mistake to not offer a dvi output.( we still need the samsung 165 stb for this)

same for 1080 p.

hope that at least the audio drop problem(every 7 min.) when playback tapes rec. from the panasonic is solved.(or we still need the samsung stb to solve it also?)

are the other problem that many users have with the 30000u are solved?

i read never in wsr about one single problem that the 30000u have.

gary can you tell us why?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We have addressed problems in the original review we published and subsequently in responses to Letters To The Editor. As I have repeatedly stated we have only experienced occasional digital blocking, and I mean occasionally-no more than I have experienced viewing satellite reception. We have not experienced any other artifact. Remember that we not the "testing" bureau for every HM-DH30000U and thus, cannot verify the extent of "problems" that are reported on this forum that are said to be experienced by "many users." But hopefully, such complaints of problems have been addressed by JVC and corrected in the HM-DH40000. Look for our review in Issue 74, July 2003.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
After running some tapes through a 30k and then to an SIR-T165 with DVI output and then trying the new Bravo D1 DVD player that has DVI output, I was really hoping that the 40k would have DVI out. Many of us are finding how much that all digital signal helps and it is pretty disappointing to me that they don't have it. I'm feeling better about not waiting for this new product at this point.

This pushes me more in the direction of getting a 5000+modulator and recording to my HTPC. I hope the 40k at least has some nice reliability improvements.

--Darin

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
FWIW...... I have a 30K which hard failed after a few hours of use, I took it to the local (Houston, TX) service center who said it would take two weeks later they told me they needed to send it to the regional center for the repair, which they did and returned it to me (to my home at NO COST to me) repaired with NO DAMAGE and in working order, since, I have recorded OTA, 3 box's, of JVC DF 300 media with out a problem. I believe JVC has the fix, and the 40K has it built in. IMHO they did right be me so far!

Enjoy your HDTV tonight!

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
Gary,

As part of WSR's review, will you (or Greg Rogers) have the opportunity to query JVC for their current position on HDCP / DVI-CP and DTS as it pertains to D-Theater?

·
Registered
24,893 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by WSRGary
New D-VHS® D-Theater™ Releases

Artisan Entertainment has 12 titles that are released or announced including First Blood, Glengarry Glen Ross, Standing In The Shadows Of Motown, which are to be released April 22.

All the D-VHS and D-Theatre titles are reviewed (as soon as we receive advanced releases) and are available for ordering at wwwDVHSMovieGuide.com.

Gary,

You have Glengarry Glen Ross and First Blood available for order now?

Art

·
Registered
871 Posts
Is it just me or do others also share the perception that every utterance from our esteemed colleague simply reeks of self-promotion?

Ask him about using his so painfully obvious "connections" to address the fundamental problems end-users are experiencing with the flawed products he has so aggressively hawked and watch how fast he disappears from the forum...

...only to reemerge again when he has more product or magazines to sell.:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 141 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.