AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem, I recently purchased a D-VHS JVC HM-DH40000U VCR and I would LIKE to use it with my 4:3 rear projection HDTV. However, the aspect ratio setting on

the JVC doesn't change AT ALL in HD! I can get a proper 4:3 image ONLY in 480 mode. 480 MODE?!? Why in the heck would JVC ONLY allow the aspect ratio to be controlled in 480 mode. I also have a BenQ PB8220 projector, that's 4:3, and I have the SAME problem BUT I can use my anamorphic lens to fix that. JVC technical support can't help me, they never have been able to answer ANY of my questions on any product. ANYWAY, if anyone has been able to solve this problem PLEASE let me know how.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Should be in the HD recording forum... Your sure your doing this correctly? Does your display have aspect ratio control? If it does just set TV output2 to "WIDE 16x9" and TVoutput1 to "720to1080" or "NO CONV" and let the TV squeeze the picture. If not, you would set TVoutput2 to "4x3" Did you press "OK" after you changed them?

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Does your 4:3 RP have settings to accept HD in 16:9 aspect ratio? This would appear to me to be something the monitor should do. I can confirm that my 16:9 HDTV displays take any HD signal from my 40K and treats it as if it is 16:9 overriding the JVC VCR setting. My 4:3 analog SD display takes a 480i signal from the VCR and it works correctly just as you mention. Are you using other HDTV inputs with your RP? I have never owned a 4:3 HD display but believe you want the VCR set to 16:9 and let the monitor correctly display an HD signal which is by definition 16:9.

Chris

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank both of you for your suggestions! However, I have tried over and over again

to change the aspect ratio using the setup on the JVC with NO LUCK. I don't have an aspect ratio setting on my Toshiba 4:3 HDTV. Again, the JVC will adjust but ONLY in 480 mode. The image doesn't change AT ALL using component whether it's in the "720 to 1080" mode or "No Conv" mode. I give up!!! I'll just use the JVC with my projector when I get the new room setup. Again, the projector is also a 4:3 but my Panamorph P752 anamorphic lens fixes the stretch problem. Roger

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.