AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone report on the PQ of a JVC HR-S9911 VCR on a Sammy DLP using VHS retail movie tapes? Better than other VCRs? Compared to OTA analog TV PQ? Compared to cable/satellite SD TV PQ?

The JVC would be a substantial investment in dinosaur technology that is only available on-line, so returns are unlikely. However, I'm not ready or able to toss my 100+ VHS movies and restock with DVDs quite yet.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I went through an exercise similar to this except I wanted to keep good copies of old home movies. I ended up getting a DVD burner ($99), a JVC HR-s3911 ($101) and an Adaptec Videoh! ($99) Mpeg capture device to put the VHS onto DVDs. I wanted the 3911 to get the cheapest VCR with S-Video out (no local stores carry them) to get the best capture for the DVD. You can accomplish the same goal other ways, but I feel like as least some of the equipment will useful on an ongoing basis.

In only 3 weeks, I have burned about 15 DVDs.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feedback, but I was hoping someone would reply who actually displayed VHS from a JVC HR-S9911 VCR on a Sammy DLP. The JVC's are pricey, so I'm trying to decide if the PQ will be worth it.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess none of the 99,275 members of this forum owns a JVC HR-S9911 VCR and a Sammy DLP, since I haven't had any useful input to the several posts and threads I've worked in this regard.

·
Registered
16,824 Posts
I assume you are recording and playing back in S-VHS, not VHS?

I would like to see a answer from someone with a newer machine like yours and a 10 year old machine to compare those.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
What's a VCR? ;)

·
Registered
16,824 Posts
A proven device that has been out since 1971 (thought not that format for sure) ans will be around for another 10 years I would bet!

NO digital artifacts either!

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
I assume you are recording and playing back in S-VHS, not VHS?
No, I just want problem-free playback of my library of purchased VHS movies on my Sammy DLP. With my current best VCR, Sony 778, I get some jitter, and I get color bands of purple and green across the top and sometimes the bottom of the picture. Happens with about 50% of my purchased VHS tapes when used on the Sony. Doesn't happen on my old RCA VHS VCR, but I don't get the PQ possible with the Sony. The Sony has been to the shop and declared in perfert order and it works with any CRT-based TV w/o problems.

Seems to be a compatibility problem here, so I need to ensure I won't have similar problems with the JVC if I pop for one of those.

·
Registered
16,824 Posts
Those colored bands are tension errors between the two decks. The best PB is on the deck they were made on!

The top end JVC decks have a TBC built in that should eliminate that (or at least reduce it unless it is severe).

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Huh? I talking about playing purchased VHS movies on a VCR hooked-up to a Sammy DLP. There isn't a second deck. Lord only knows where and how those tapes were made.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.