AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see that JVC has there new 7900 VCR model out now but I also see that you can still purchase the older model 7800. What difference is there between the two models if any? Is it worth the extra $70.00 for the 7900 model?

Rick

·
Registered
276 Posts
Rick,

In the past there's been little change as JVC upped the model number (from 7600 to 7800, for instance). That being said, I've not done a specific comparison of the two units you mention so I'm potentially off base here.

Without having some STRONG evidence that there were distinct changes between the models, and that those changes would be of noticeable and/or of benefit to me, I'd go for the 7800 unit and save the $70.

My $.02.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I am not aware of any improvements at all between the two. I bought a 7800 a while back from Crutchfield. It kicks a**!!! (The Time Base Correction and Digital Noise Reduction really help with my old VHS tapes. They've never looked better!!! It's not hype!)

·
Registered
956 Posts
In the past I've recommended the JVC 7x00 series because I love the 7600 that I have. It does a really nice job of playing tapes that are either old, made on other machines, or just otherwise need some help. Recently I picked up a 7800 from Crutchfield, based on the good experience with the 7600. Unfortunately, this machine was a step down in 2 big ways:

1) It took 3 units to get a properly working model. The first two did not have properly working digital R3/NR circuits. The first one turned every image to a purple/green digitized thing on any transport function but play (i.e., pause, ff/rev). The second one just had an extremely noisy picture when not in play. The third initially didn't seem to work correctly in a similar manner, but after a couple of days cleared up. If I hadn't been out of town shortly after receiving it I would probably have sent it right back and canceled the purchase.

2) As it is, the third unit does seem to work but it still does not perform as nicely as the 7600. It does generally do a good job playing tapes and giving a clean, jiggle-free picture, but it's not as clean when scanning. The 7600, at up to 7x speeds, gives no noise lines but the 7800 does have some, although less then older VCRs. For the $199 price it's not bad.

Also, the overall build quality and features on the JVC S-VHS units seems to continue to descend. I wish that I'd picked up another 7600 when it was on closeout, instead of assuming the 7800 would be similar or have slightly better features. It doesn't; the price is better and they dropped a few things and cheapened the case.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.