AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How in the world did this slip by everybody's radar? I was loking for info on the new HDTV D-VHS deck on JVC's website, and lookie what I found: JVC INTRODUCES THE FIRST I'ART PRO HDTV MONITOR (AV 36P902) AT CEDIA 2001

Anybody know anything more about this set than what's in the press release? The price looks good, but I'm sure the anti-DVI/HDCP folks will jump all over this set...

------------------

--Roland W. Fox

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
Here is info about a Standard Def cousin with some shared features:
http://store.hamptonimage.com/av36f802.html

Also, this quote from the site you mentioned:

"JVC's 4.77 Million Pixel Natural Progressive technology

doubles the image data in each field and uses advanced

3D interpolation to display a solid image without any

noticeable scanning lines on-screen and eliminates

jagged edge noise and image trails."

sounds interesting.

4.77 Millions pixels is more than double 1920x1080...

I wonder what that 4.77 million actually means.

I am sure the display cannot show anywhere near

that much detail so maybe they have a huge "internal"

framestore used for processing an interpolation?

Thanks for the link...

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Digital camera manufacturers frequently count red, green, and blue as separate "pixels", effectively tripling the number of advertised pixels. Sketchy, but that's what the marketing people are for, I guess.

Alex

·
Registered
807 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by proufo:
I gather from the press release that it's not 16:9

It looks to me like it's 4:3 with a manual 16:9 mode.

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Alexander
Digital camera manufacturers frequently count red, green, and blue as separate "pixels", effectively tripling the number of advertised pixels. Sketchy, but that's what the marketing people are for, I guess.

Alex
This is true, I've worked on developing digital cameras before. Still cameras have a single monochrome CCD or CMOS sensor in them. They then apply a color filter to the sensor which results in individual R, G, and B pixels. This forms what is called to be a "bayer" pattern. You get something like this, each character represents a pixel:

R G R G R G

G B G B G B

R G R G R G

G B G B G B

The "missing" color elements (ie the G and B component on a R pixel) are interpolated from their neighbors. The reason that there are more real G pixels than R or B is because the eye is most sensivite to green.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not 16:9? I wonder why JVC thinks it's worth $2500 Oh, well, thanks for clearing that up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.