AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of buying this one. Can get it for 3,500$ with an extra lamp.

I currently have an 8 inch crt. How is the quality of this unit?

It boost a native resolution of 2000X1280! This means I would be able to resolove the full 1900X1080 lines in HDTV and DVHS material.

with a retail price of 90,000 would 3,500 be a steal?

Thanks,

David

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
There is no DILA that I am aware that has 2000 x 1280 resolution. The only DILA that can fully resolve 1920 x 1080 is the QX1 (2048 x 1536) with a retail of 225K. ALL other current and recent DILA have a resolution of 1365 x 1024.

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
David:

Sorry, I saw JVC ILA and my brain automatically inserted a D. This is of course a highly subjective call. I have seen these units many times. While they may boast true HDTV resolution they still have the same weakness as current DLP and DILA units with regard to black/gray level. They could look somewhat "film-like" but still never looked as sharp or as detailed as a good CRT. These projectors were a great example of how a resolution spec can be misleading because they never approached the best CRT's IMHO regardless of their stated resolution. It could be that one of the reasons they never appeared as sharp is that I always saw them on very large screens so I may just have been seeing the limitations of non-hdtv "blown" up that big. They are VERY bright. My biggest concern would be that they are extremely expensive to service and need LOTS of it (service). I also suspect that it is much harder to find used or cheap parts for them than a CRT. They also make a CRT look VERY stable by comparison.

One might also ask why JVC completely stopped making them (at least I think they did) long before they even had high-res chips available for the DILAS.

So if you are asking for my opinion, no I would not buy it.

FYI here are SOME of the occasions I have seen these projectors:

1) Joe Kane calibrated (he was doing the presentation himself) top of the line on a huge screen (don't remember the exact screen size or model #).

2) Top if the line model at CEDIA several years back again on a huge screen.

3) Top of the line under the Runco name (they were rebadging it for a while) at CES.

Should point out that by top of the line it was the huge "normal" top of the line 3 tube, but NOT the one that was the size of a refrigerator and had something like 12000 lumen output.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah thats what I was thinking. The rated wattage it uses is amazing, like 2000 WATTS, 50AMPS. Would kill me and my power bill too. 63DB noise level too.

I like my CRT, I just wish I could get the quality of the CRT on a 15FOOT widescreen. Maybe in a few years with 3 cheap DLP I could get that.

David

·
Registered
842 Posts
Origional price between $75,000 and $120,000 depending on options.

If you are in the mood to fiddle, then you can get an absolutely great

picture out of this unit, however the best CR you can get is about

240:1. Needs 220 volts, and about 20 amps. Noisy, dishes out heat

like crazy. Huge and heavy too. I just got rid of one, so i am down

to 2 units. No pixelation, no scan lines either. No blooming, perfectly

square picture, and bright like you have no idea.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How much would this go for on the used market?

Is 3500 a killer price?

Its the SC version , I think thats the super contrast version, maybe I will get more contrast ratio.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
That would be a killer price for the repair if anything in the optical block went wrong.

However, I've seen those still in the box for less.

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
BTW, my comment about needing lots of service was specifically aimed at my knowledge of the JVC's, NOT all light valve projectors.

Kevin:

Didn't you buy multiple units so you could have extra parts? What do you have? Ampro or GE Talaria?

I checked out your home page and feel sorry for you having to put up with B&W 801's in your second string system. Love that Day Sequerra tuner. I always thought they looked so sexy with that cool scope on the front that they would be worth the price even if there was a walkman tuner inside.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.