AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Way back in 2004-5 JVC came out with a line of D-ILA rear projection displays. Other companies tried with the similar technology (Philips with LCOS) but it was never successful. Philips had QC issues and gave up. I don't recall to many complaints about the JVC sets. I wonder if any of the owners\past owners are still out there. This was about the same time that the Samsung DLP was getting traction.

So now JVC has introduced their 6th gen D-ILA in a new line of projectors, so the chip must be performing to expectations to continue production. I assume it would make a nice RPTV as the projectors are getting good reviews.

Maybe there is just not enough of a market to consider re-entering the RPTV world.

·
Registered
5,969 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrybud  /t/1523614/jvc-introduces-its-6th-generation-d-ila#post_24511601

Way back in 2004-5 JVC came out with a line of D-ILA rear projection displays. Other companies tried with the similar technology (Philips with LCOS) but it was never successful. Philips had QC issues and gave up. I don't recall to many complaints about the JVC sets. I wonder if any of the owners\past owners are still out there. This was about the same time that the Samsung DLP was getting traction.

So now JVC has introduced their 6th gen D-ILA in a new line of projectors, so the chip must be performing to expectations to continue production. I assume it would make a nice RPTV as the projectors are getting good reviews.

Maybe there is just not enough of a market to consider re-entering the RPTV world.
I would think with all the DLP DMD chips that are failing prematurely recently that there will be a lot of RPTV lovers looking to buy new sets, so the market could be there, at least for the short term.  I'm afraid though, that the majority of TV buyers do not rate picture quality as high as room aesthetics these days.

·
Registered
533 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrybud  /t/1523614/jvc-introduces-its-6th-generation-d-ila#post_24511601

Folks that are as particular about picture quality as AVS members are a considerable minority. For 98% of possible customers a flat panel trumps most everything else. It's not much different from the way pocket MP3 devices killed off the high-end stereo world.

All the RPTV technologies, like 3-LCD, DiLA, SXRD, and DLP live on in small projectors. If you have been to a movie theater lately, odds are the movie was shown by an SXRD or a DLP projector.

Problems with using that tech in an RPTV remain too, -the noise from required cooling, the long light path (~36") and intricate optics means dozens of places for dust and bugs to find a home, and the problem with light source lifetimes and heat dissipation.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
I like RPTV...have a retro Mitsubishi 65813...but for many people the draw of RPTV were affordable screens larger than offered by any other technology of the time. Now that people can get slim and very large flat panels only those irritated by LCD images (like myself) would be interested in an RPTV. For many economic and logistical reasons I don't believe any company would introduce new, and advanced RPTVs.

A pity. Only OLED and variants thereof offer future hope for members of this forum.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts