AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering purchasing the JVC JY-HD10U, though I know fairly soon other companies will also make HD camcorders. My question is, can I use their wacky 720p mpeg2s to make WMP 9 files playable off of a DVD? Assuming I would use either Premiere or vegas video as those are the only editing programs that have bothered to support this camcorder.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Yes. There's a couple of different methods. Cineform offers a very expensive option that allows real-time HD editing and WM9 encoding.

You can use the two you listed to convert to AVI, then encode to WM9.

There's some good info over at DVInfo.net

Troy

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have vegas video 4.0. I have it and tried to use it to open the .m2t files, but it just doesn't recognize them, though I heard vegas video is suppose to support this format. Or is there something else I"m supposed to do?

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Check out this thread on dvinfo.net

I am an HD1 owner and would like to know how it works myself.

Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I don't have VV 4, but accordng to their website you should be able to import and edit M2T files and export to WM9. It looks like you need to have 4.0b or greater.

Here's a quote from Kevin Sturges on the DVInfo.net forums;

Quote:
Vegas Video works fine with the M2T files. If you have a problem, just try changing them to MPG.
It also looks like Paul Mogg from the same forum is recommending Vegas+DVD. Not sure if that is version 4.0b or just a different variation. You may want to check it out.

Last one again from Kevin Sturges;

Quote:
Anyways, I was able to easily import all of the files into Vegas Video. It works! I haven't tried writing them back to an MPEG-2 file yet, but I loaded all of them onto the timeline, and rendered them back to my DV camera has a widescreen 720/480 progressive scan file. Plugged the camera into the S-Video port on my HDTV, and gave it a look. The original JVC HD material transfers beautifully to the DV format. It looks a little softer on the big screen, but that could be because it is coming through the S-Video port. Motion looks amazing and smooth - looks like film motion. Colors looks bright and vivid, but lacked in the blue intensity areas. I went back and played with the color correction in Vegas video. It's easy to dial up the blue response, which immediately gave a big improvement, and it didn't seem to affect the rendering time. What was a little disappointing was when I tried to crank up the saturation. You can add a little bit, but pump up the settings too far, and the video becomes very grainy and blocky looking, much more so than the typical DV material I've worked with.
Troy

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Ordered Vegas+DVD last night after playing around with the demo version on SD files. As stated in another thread the demo will not open mt2 files. I did notice if you convert the files using HDTVtoMPEG2 it strips the audio track from the converted file. I hope you don't need to convert the file because it could be a PITA to put the audio back into the file. There could be a fix for this problem but I need to ask it in the other thread. I did try re-encoding the mpg files with the free WMP9 encoder from M$ but it crashed when you open the file. It may be fixable but I need a decent editor so it didn't bother trying.

With the demo version of Vegas it renders SD files to WMP9 very easily. Vega itself seems great as to what you can do with it on SD files. Hope the same is true on HD files. :)

BTW if you buy Vegas+DVD from a software reseller such as PCMall you can get the +DVD version for less than the downloaded version of VEGA by itself. Its interesting that Sonic Foundry (Now Sony) actually protects their reseller that way. This is rare among software companies today. I almost download the full version from their site but right before I hit the submit button I checked a few sites and were pleasantly surprised.

Mike

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the update. When you get the full version, please let me know if you have problems with putting the audio back in the file. I agree that would be a major deal breaker.

·
Registered
9,254 Posts
Isn't someone from the Microsoft WM9 team on this forum? After getting the HD1 and attempting to encode with their Encoder a 1280x720 WMV file I posted a message to their Encoder newsgroup mentioning the Encoder needs to be able to support transport stream files or at least not choke on the audio in the MPEG-2 I generated from Womble (video alone encoded okay). I never saw a reply to the message however.

- Brian

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tonic
thanks for the update. When you get the full version, please let me know if you have problems with putting the audio back in the file. I agree that would be a major deal breaker.
Doc,

After using Vegas for a couple of days I see no need to demux the files to edit in Vegas so there is no problem with the audio. I just renamed the files and go. I upoaded a little demo if you would like to check it out.

Right Click and Select Save Target As

Mike

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Mike,

Thanks for sharing your experiences with us. Nice clips too! That's one bad azz car!

So you think that even better quality can be had with that setup encoding to WM9?

Thanks.

Troy

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Troy LaMont
Mike,

So you think that even better quality can be had with that setup encoding to WM9?

Troy
Troy, Not better quality just a smaller file with little quality loss. The demo clip in native format was about 140Mb with wmp9 encoding it reduced the file to 37Mb. I do notice a slight difference in quality on a 110" screen but the difference is subtle. If I were to post a full native format clip my ISP would have a fit.

Mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.