AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i have a jvc56fn97 which is 2 years old and i have the best buy 4 year warrenty. i made an appointment with the geek squad 2 weeks ago and today he shows uo at my house. does a few things on the remote and tells me i need a new light engine and he will order it from jvc and come back in a week to put it in. then he said if the light engine costs to much best buy will just replace the tv with a similar dlp tv. i went on the the jvc site and the light engine costs 1.775 dollars. it will cost more than the tv is worth.has anyone else had this problem and what did best buy do for you regardind a replacement tv. thank you

·
Registered
16,799 Posts
I would assume BB will just let you get another set.

That price is retail (minus labor), but the 'dealer' cost, plus labor, will bring it close to what a new set would cost.

What are the symptoms?

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well the tech from the geek squad ordered the light engine and he will be here monday to put it in.doesnt make sense not to just give me a new tv considering the price of the new light engine is worth more than the tv.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
The price of the light engine on the website is probably an outright for a new light engine. The light engine that JVC will supply to the service partner is likely a recondition to like new condition part. I suspect the service part price through the warranty program is much less than the price you see.

·
Registered
16,799 Posts
FWIW, I just look up a price for a Sammy light engine, $1,000 list, $600 service cost plus $300 'core' that would be refunded when the old core was returned.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Best Buy / Geek Squad service is hidious. Just take a look at their own forums on bestbuy.com. I personally am dealing with this situation with an EW that I purchased from them and so far it has been 3 separate trips to my house, one no show, 3 half days off work, wrong part ordered by the tech, repeated calls to Geek Squad and so on and so forth.

I have a 60" Sony XBR2 and all I need is a simple lamp replacement, you would think that would be simple, right?

It has been over 6 weeks and my set is still not repaired. I would post a link but I am to new and the forum wont let me :)

That seams spendy for the light engine but they are not about to turn around and give you another set for a repair that costs around $1,500. You are right, the light is worth more than your TV but it is not and much as giving you a new tv would cost to them.

Be prepared for a long battle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts