AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a dedicated room with seating at 14 feet.

I currently have an Elunevision 125" screen.

My current X-790 is being replaced by JVC Canada due to it starting to project a pink hued picture.

I am debating selling the new unit that I will be receiving and spending the difference($3000) to upgrade to the NX-5.

Would it be a noticeable difference and worth the 50% in cost to upgrade?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I have a dedicated room with seating at 14 feet.

I currently have an Elunevision 125" screen.

My current X-790 is being replaced by JVC Canada due to it starting to project a pink hued picture.

I am debating selling the new unit that I will be receiving and spending the difference($3000) to upgrade to the NX-5.

Would it be a noticeable difference and worth the 50% in cost to upgrade?

Thanks
do you watch more 1080p content or 4K? are you very contrast sensitive ? if so you may want to stay with the 790 although that plan does sound tempting!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm in the same mindset. I've got an x9000 and am a contrast junkie. When I first moved from CRT to Plasma in 2007 I really didn't like the picture. Until the VT50 in 2012 I wasn't happy with a flat panel and then OLED came long.

I use Trakt to keep a track of the shows/movies I watch. Filtering on the last year, even with just concentrating on movies only 15% of my movies watched were 4k HDR. It massively drops if you include TV shows. So I'll stick to my x9000 until JVC have a native 4k that has same/superior black levels.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I think the choice is quite simple:

Contrast?
Or native panel?

The benefits of the N5 is FA
If you have madVR then the FA doesn't really matter.

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,786 Posts
14 feet back from a 125" screen is really too far away to benefit from the native 4K over the eshift so I doubt you'll notice the 4K but you will notice the lost contrast. Unless you want to push forward and utilize some of that 14 feet of space between you and the screen.

·
Registered
118 Posts
14 feet back from a 125" screen is really too far away to benefit from the native 4K over the eshift so I doubt you'll notice the 4K but you will notice the lost contrast. Unless you want to push forward and utilize some of that 14 feet of space between you and the screen.
I totally agree!!

·
Registered
507 Posts
The auto tone mapping of all sources would be worth it to me for an NX5 over the RS-540 and I love my RS-540. I also have a lens and the ability to do a vertical stretch for 60P sources which the NX5 can do is a nice feature.

·
Registered
29,354 Posts
The auto tone mapping of all sources would be worth it to me for an NX5 over the RS-540 and I love my RS-540. I also have a lens and the ability to do a vertical stretch for 60P sources which the NX5 can do is a nice feature.
Yep and lens memory is much better. Input switching lag is lower. Len quality slightly better. If you do atmos, you will probably need to buy 4k disc, rather than BD. The ability to store more information in installation. There are several reason, beside resolution to consider.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
if we are talking 1080P with a NX5 VS RS-540, based on reviews I have read and specs, you can't beat the contrast and detail of the RS 540
my 2 cents

Reactions: Luis Gabriel Gerena

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks so much everyone.

I decided to keep the x790 as the price delta is still steep to change and I watch mostly 1080p TV and although the 4K hopefully is the wave of the future I can hopefully upgrade when new units come out in a year or two. That and it also seems the best bang for the buck most generations of JVC projectors is usually the middle unit.

Now I will start a post for the next issue when I change color profile it makes a pretty loud click that i do not recall the previous unit having.

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,786 Posts
Thanks so much everyone.

I decided to keep the x790 as the price delta is still steep to change and I watch mostly 1080p TV and although the 4K hopefully is the wave of the future I can hopefully upgrade when new units come out in a year or two. That and it also seems the best bang for the buck most generations of JVC projectors is usually the middle unit.

Now I will start a post for the next issue when I change color profile it makes a pretty loud click that i do not recall the previous unit having.
Thats the color filter snapping into place. I wouldn't recommend using that it takes a way too much light.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Thanks so much everyone.

Mine makes the same noise when the filter snaps into place.

·
Registered
29,354 Posts
Thats the color filter snapping into place. I wouldn't recommend using that it takes a way too much light.
The X790 does not lose much light output, using the filter. About the same amount as the new native 4k JVC's. Most use the filter.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I was on the fence last year until I started looking at Panamorph lenses and 2.4:1 screens. When I learned that the DCR lens for the NX models is not compatible with the 790 I realized I didn't want to sink money into the non DCR lens that I'd only end up selling later. So I shelled out for the Paladin DCR and NX7 then sold the 790 to a forum member. I never looked back. The tone mapping for ALL of my HDR sources makes the home theater experience all around better.

Though, the 790 is a good enough projector that you can't go wrong with keeping it if you don't wan to spend the extra dough.

So, Panamorph DCR lens + tone-mapping (more $$$$) vs slightly higher contrast (not very obvious to my eyes) I'd say are on each end of the scale.
Which way does it tip for you?

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
It does not take that much light but you sure gain a lot more "color" by using it.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
The X790 does not lose much light output, using the filter. About the same amount as the new native 4k JVC's. Most use the filter.
Very little on my 540. I run with the iris closed down quite a bit and high lamp for HDR. Maybe 5%? I just leave it in place all the time so it doesn't have to snap in and out.

·
Registered
15,071 Posts
I would be happy with any of these JVC's, pro's and con's to each choice. Black floor is more noticeable now with these brighter projectors, because we are now watching brighter images for longer periods of time, so that leans towards the RS-540. However, so many new and improved features on the NX series. I definitely wish my RS-420 had a darker black floor, RS-420 is similar to the NX-5 in that regard. That said, it kind of depends on what type of stuff you watch to if the darker black floor is worth it.

We need a Native 4k JVC with 200,000:1 on/off, but not going to happen anytime soon, if ever.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
I would be happy with any of these JVC's, pro's and con's to each choice. Black floor is more noticeable now with these brighter projectors, because we are now watching brighter images for longer periods of time, so that leans towards the RS-540. However, so many new and improved features on the NX series. I definitely wish my RS-420 had a darker black floor, RS-420 is similar to the NX-5 in that regard. That said, it kind of depends on what type of stuff you watch to if the darker black floor is worth it.

We need a Native 4k JVC with 200,000:1 on/off, but not going to happen anytime soon, if ever.
The RS540 and NX7 have same lumen specs so the brightness has nothing to do with the raised black floor on the NX series.

·
Registered
15,071 Posts
I know, it's the contrast itself, that's not was I was saying. Was talking about the brightness over time compared to other older projectors to where you just lived with the dimmer image until ready to change the lamp. Point being it's even more noticeable than before really.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I know, it's the contrast itself, that's not was I was saying. Was talking about the brightness over time compared to other older projectors to where you just lived with the dimmer image until ready to change the lamp. Point being it's even more noticeable than before really.
I've gravitated toward lower brightness for HDR for this reason. I don't find any improvements in HDR highlights to outweigh the increase in black floor. I think I'm only around 80 or 85 nits right now (using MadVR).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts